Swift 3 - SF315-52? - Replaced HDD for SSD Doesn't boot up with the SSD connected.

13»

Answers

• Have you tried resetting the battery and changing the sata mode option to ahci?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Alex0815
    Alex0815 Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Yes i tested that.
    Disconnected the battery and pressed the button for battery disconnect.
    All modes / constellations in bios have been tested.

This is a very strange situation because it just does not work any new larger harddisks.
    I could not see any damage (why i should send in my laptop to service) because the ports (2.5 sata and M.2) works fine but just with OEM or similar HDDs.

I still have a little hope that Acer will fix that by a Bios Update, but i think they do not focus on that models anymore :(
  • could you specify the exact ssd model?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Alex0815
    Crucial MX500 SSD 1TB M.2 Micron 3D TLC SATA600

850 EVO SATA III 2.5" SSD MZ-75E2T0B/EU

850 EVO M.2 SATA III SSD MZ-N5E500BW

Samsung SM951 512GB - Solid State Drives (SSD) (M.2)
    (Not 100% sure about the last one, should be this one but can be another Nvme M.2 from Samsung with about 500GB)

• Have you tried removing the rtc battery?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Alex0815
    I am not 100% sure if i did this. I think yes, but what is the difference removing this battery to settings Bios to default?

I will check doing that later.
    Laptop is still without screws because of the hope to get a solution :)
  • Alex0815
    OK, so i tested with removing the rtc battery for some minutes as well as the laptop battery.

No change, even Acer logo does not appear as soon as one of these bigger HDDs are plugged in. Keyboard backlight works but nothing happens.
  • O primeiro ssd (Micron 3D TLC SATA600), acredito que não está sendo identificado, por ser 1tb! Verifique o que o guia de serviço deste modelo informa:
    Unidade de estado sólido 0
    512 GB, PCle Gen3, 8 Gb / s até 4 pistas, NVMe
    256 GB, PCle Gen3, 8 Gb / s até 4 pistas, NVMe
    128/256/512, SATA 6 GB / s
    16 GB, PCI Gen3, 8 Gb / s até 2 pistas, NVMe, com suporte para Intel®Optane ™ Menory
    About the three, they should work! Would not it be the case to take the array and leave it in ahci mode? Note that this user had the same problem: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/557719/swift-sf315-52-wont-boot-with-sata-m-2-ssd
    Have you tried to create a password in the set monitor password and then disable secure boot? Do this, and put the sata mode in ahci, but that will break the array! If your bios has the fastboot function, turn it off too!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Alex0815
    Yes and the other customer with the same issue returned the laptop because there was no solution.

As i said before, i tested all bios settings, i wasted days on that problem.

I know that the spec say it does not support 1TB M.2 but i tested it because Crucial says it will work. But when you read again, i also tested 512GB M.2.

Thanks a lot for your try to help, but repeating now everything will not bring a solution :)

I bet, everybody with this acer model has the same problem when they try to have more HDD space.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited February 2019
    I've already cases where static power interfered with device identification! I think it's worth just doing this:
    a) unplug the notebook from the electrical outlet and disconnect the internal lithium battery;
    b) then press the power button for 60 seconds and test. If it still does not work, try unplugging all the hardware, then press the power button for 60 seconds! I think it's worth trying this!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• You can try to downgrade with this procedure. But it is a risky procedure and I do not take any responsibility for any damage: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/636299/#Comment_636299

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• art_gruby
    art_gruby Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓
    Hello all

I spent yesterday a few hours trying to replace the original M.2 SATA 128GB disk in SF315-52 with a Crucial MX500 500GB.
    Symptoms exactly the same: the laptop showed only the green acer logo on the display and backlighted the keyboard, no possibility to enter the BIOS.
    Fortunately, I found this thread that suggested the source of the problem in the BIOS.
    After updating the BIOS to version 1.08, the disk is accessible and working properly.
    I did not check with other models than Crucial M.2 MX500 500GB SATA because only the one I had available.

Thank you for posting the thread, it directed me to BIOS update.

• kallisti
    kallisti Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

ACER Swift SF315-52-52YN won't boot off SATA SSD

I have a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (SATA). I wish to install linux to the SSD.. When I insert the SSD and boot the BIOS freezes and the system will not Boot. It just displays the ACER screen. I cannot enter the BIOS menu.

My configuration is: I have set the bios to disable RST with Optane, and also select AHCI.

I have updated the BIOS to 1.08 from 1.07 where the same issue existed. This community thread suggested it would resolve the issue for someone else.

I also tried the advice at the end of this community thread for this device. I have windows installed on a non-SSD drive. However after this I still have the same issue. Computer frozen at ACER screen when using SATA SSD drive.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    You have to disable Optane in order to replace it with a SSD. Once you are in iRST only mode or AHCI mode the drive will be accessible. At that point you will want to do the install to the new drive and set the EFI boot option to allow booting from either Windows or Linux. Try not to configure it from a Grub boot, that often breaks both the Windows boot option and BIOS entry.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • kallisti
    kallisti Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Optane was already disabled. I was running off a SATA disk, without the Optane M2.SSD which had previously been removed.
  • @kallisti I would try to flash the ssd firmware on another computer and then change the sata mode to ahci:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,526 Pathfinder

I would be hesitant switching a mechanical HDD for a EVO 2.5" Sata SSD with these older MOBOs, Acer is not recommended it and many tried it without any luck: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/550077/swift-3-sf315-52-replaced-hdd-for-ssd-doesnt-boot-up-with-the-ssd-connected