Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Swift SF315-52 Won't boot with SATA M.2 SSD

I recently bought a Swift Series computer and I wanted to install a new SSD. So I disabled the Intel Optane Memory and removed it. The computer won't even boot with the SSD connected. I tried removing both SSD and HDD and it "boots".. i.e I can enter bios and I see the no bootable device. But as soon as I enter the SSD it just stops at the Acer splash screen, won't try to boot from the SSD or allow me to enter BIOS. Any ideas of what I can do? 

FAQ & Answers

• brummyfan2brummyfan2 Posts: 11,752ACE Trailblazer
    edited December 2018
    Hi,
    Your OS is in the HDD, so insert HDD only(without Optane and SSD) and see whether you are able to boot with it. Make sure that you switch to AHCI for SATA mode in Main tab of BIOS.

Please don't click "Like" but click "Yes" for "Did this answer the question", if I resolve the problem.
  • Blaze_pacBlaze_pac Posts: 8Member

Tinkerer

Hello! I have tried that still no luck. Trying to see if I can install a SATA SSD instead, but I still have the M.2 if anyone has another idea

Tinkerer

Nope!! SATA SSD won't work either. this is the screen I keep staring at... This is insane. The computer is brand new, two brand new SSDs one SATA and one M.2.
    I even clobed the HDD to the SATA SSD still nothing
  • Mateo620Mateo620 Posts: 97Member Fixer
    Can you enter the BIOS and show us what you see under the information tab? and all other tabs?

Are you trying to clone your old drive to one of these new SSDs or do a fresh install?

Tinkerer

edited December 2018

Relatively "old" drive has been cloned. And the new SSD is recognized but if I connect it instead of the HDD it still gets stuck on the Acer screen.
  • Hi,
    Could you please tell us what Acer(D:) drive is, is it the new M.2 SSD? You could try using Migrate feature in Minitool Partition wizard free program, run the OS from HDD, migrate the OS, then remove the HDD and try booting with the new SSD.
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/migrate-os-to-ssd-hd.html

Please don't click "Like" but click "Yes" for "Did this answer the question", if I resolve the problem.

Tinkerer

Acer(D) drive is the SATA SSD it's connected using a USB docking station. Whenever I connect a hardrive that isn't the HDD or the Optane Memory ( in the internal ports) the computer won't start. So migrating or even installing fresh won't work. 
  • brummyfan2brummyfan2 Posts: 11,752ACE Trailblazer
    edited December 2018
    Hi,
    Have you disabled Intel Optane in RST before switching to AHCI in BIOS?
    https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000024626/memory-and-storage.html

Tinkerer

Hello!
    Yes I used Intel® Rapid Storage Technology to disable it.
  • I have run out of ideas but please wait for someone else to chime in.

Tinkerer

Ok, thank you for your time !

Tinkerer

I returned the laptop, could not figure it out. Should I mark this as solved or ? Hopefully nobody else encounters this
  • CARLTONBPCARLTONBP Posts: 14Member

Tinkerer

I had the exact same problem. For others I found this solution, the whole explanation and the wonderful person who figured it out on is on the link. The problem is you don't have the ACHI drivers etc installed so you get the blue screen. but what you need is:
    1. Run Command Prompt as Admin
    2. Invoke a Safe Mode boot with the command: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
    3. Restart the PC and enter your BIOS during bootup.
    4. Change from IDE to AHCI mode then Save & Exit.
    5. Windows 10 will launch in Safe Mode.
    6. Right click the Window icon and select to run the Command Prompt in Admin mode from among the various options.
    7. Cancel Safe Mode booting with the command: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
    8. Restart your PC once more and this time it will boot up normally but with AHCI mode activated.
    9. Bask in the reflected glory of being a total Windows 10 God