New SSD ES1-132-C8WF

Options
Jo_Wragg
Jo_Wragg Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives

Hi All,

So I have installed a 250 SSD into the laptop as with only 32gb of hard drive it can't cope with the update for Win 10 (not enough space), it doesn't need to be huge as it will only really be used for the OS and updates as everything else sits in the cloud etc. I assumed that it would recognise the new drive and stick the update on there where there's space.....i'm on a steep learning curve so with this and I could really to with an idiots guide.

1. I believe I now need to clone my OS across on to the new drive, is this correct? I've seen mini partition tool recommended.

2. My new SSD is showing as one huge space with no partitions, do I need to do anything to it before I start to clone?

3. On the mini tool I see there are two main options A. replace system disk (copy all of the partitions) or B. Move OS to another disk (copies only the partitions relating to the OS)

3. On all of the threads I've read, the old HD needs to then be removed, bit tricky with this laptop as it's soldered to the motherboard. Is this going to cause problems?

4. I've already installed it into the compartment and connected it up via the HDD "port", have I jumped the gun, do I need to take it back out and connect it up via USB to clone?

See, I did say I need an idiots guide....

All advice will be gratefully received, thanks.

Jo

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi,
    1. Yes, use the Migrate feature and select the option A.
    2. No, you don't have to do anything to the new SSD like partitioning, it will be done by software.
    3. Option A will be fine.
    4. You can not remove the 32GB HDD, you can go to BIOS and change the boot order to make the new SSD as your first boot device after migration.
    5. No, leave it connected to HDD port as in the snip.
    HTH.

• Jo_Wragg

Tinkerer

edited August 2018
    Options

ah ha thanks brummyfan2, it was I think, one of your original posts that I saw with these pics that gave me hope that all was not lost with this little laptop. I've just upgraded the RAM from 4gb to 8gb so that should hopefully help it too.

To change the boot order is that via F10 as it's booting up? or is that somewhere else in the settings?

• brummyfan2
    Options
    No problem, to change the boot order, go to BIOS settings by pressing F2 button when you boot up the laptop, move to Boot tab, move the SSD to first position by pressing F6 button, click F10 to save & exit.
  • Jo_Wragg

Tinkerer

Options

ok so have download the mini tool.

It's asking if I want to fit partitions to entire disk or copy with out resize?

• Jo_Wragg

Tinkerer

Options

migrate OS as per your previous reply.

I'm at the review changes window so have two options as to how it will set up the partitions

if I pick copy it leaves 194.5 GB of unallocated space

if I pick fit then the it resizes the partitions accordingly which makes more sense as the Acer(NFTS) jumps from 28GB to 215.1GB

• brummyfan2
    Options
    Yes, then pick the second option(fit partitions).
  • Jo_Wragg

Tinkerer

Options
    brill, thanks. Setting it to work now, fingers crossed.
  • Jo_Wragg

Tinkerer

Options
    help, black screen with swirly dots for ages then a blue screen, not sure what to do now, have tried to open bios when booting up but it's not opening.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Have you tried removing the SSD? If not try removing the SSD and see whether it boots normally.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    Please follow this guide to install the SSD, make sure you do the steps 9 and 10 before using the Minitool partition wizard to migrate.
    http://unsolicitedbutoffered.blogspot.com/2017/06/replacing-acer-es-132-hard-drive.html
  • Jo_Wragg

Tinkerer

edited August 2018
    Options

OK having had a sanity break, I have now removed the SSD and can confirm that the machine boots fine when it's not connected. Wondering if it's worth me wiping the new drive and starting again.......mini tool gave me a "notice" that C could not be copied as it was in use and the option to restart as it would then continue to copy and finish the process this was the only option that seemed to make sense so that was what I chose to do.

When I first added the drive it was showing as a new drive with the correct amount of space and it was the same when I started the process of the mini tool.

• brummyfan2
    Options
    You could try cloning the 32GB drive to the SSD with Macrium Reflect free, download Macrium and install, try cloning to the SSD after formatting it.
    https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
    https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Cloning+a+disk
  • Jo_Wragg

Tinkerer

Options
    hmmmm have tried macrium, I didn't resize the partitions the first time around and the clone worked but left me no better off than when I started. I have now tried to re run macrium with edited sizes. I left 3 of the 4 partitions the same and increased the "C" partition to fill the remainder of the disk. it clones the first 2 partitions fine but then fails at the resized one......any thoughts?
  • AceFan
    AceFan Member Posts: 40 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I've used Macrium in the past sometimes without a problem and other times it would not work.

Another idea is sometimes the SSD manufacturer will have their own migrating software. It's not always apparent. For example, my Corsair M.2 SSD had their own migration software but I didn't see it in the documentation. But when I went to the manufacturer site to the support section it was there.

• Tmzdroid
    Tmzdroid Member Posts: 88 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    I own an es1-132-c974 and put an ssd in a while back plus 8gb ram. Using the samsung migrate tool for samsung ssd  I cloned the 32gb emmc to the new drive. However after a few issues I decided to do a fresh windows installation on the new ssd and its much better. I advise a fresh windows install on the ssd and use the 32gb emmc as drive "D" good luck.
  • Jo_Wragg

Tinkerer

Options

Ok so on face value it looks like the clone has worked, the file sizes on the new drive matches the old ones with the partition space available for programme files going from 28.01 GB on the old drive to 215.12 GB on the new one.

I have tried to follow step 9 in the link above prior to restarting after cloning the disk and now again after i have changed the boot order in the bios to boot from the new disk and rebooting. However both times i'm not seeing an “other” Windows 10 when I try to change the Default Operating System I only have the 1 original option showing. 

I have tried to do the windows 10 update, however i think it still seems to think that this should be going to the old EMMC drive and so fails due to the lack of space.and have booted it up and logged in.

so am not sure how to progress

• Jo_Wragg

Tinkerer

Options

hmmm, it's applied an update to the correct drive but still refuses the main update number 1803?