New SSD ES1-132-C8WF

Jo_Wragg
Jo_Wragg Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives

Hi All,

So I have installed a 250 SSD into the laptop as with only 32gb of hard drive it can't cope with the update for Win 10 (not enough space), it doesn't need to be huge as it will only really be used for the OS and updates as everything else sits in the cloud etc. I assumed that it would recognise the new drive and stick the update on there where there's space.....i'm on a steep learning curve so with this and I could really to with an idiots guide.

1. I believe I now need to clone my OS across on to the new drive, is this correct? I've seen mini partition tool recommended.

2. My new SSD is showing as one huge space with no partitions, do I need to do anything to it before I start to clone?

3. On the mini tool I see there are two main options A. replace system disk (copy all of the partitions) or B. Move OS to another disk (copies only the partitions relating to the OS)

3. On all of the threads I've read, the old HD needs to then be removed, bit tricky with this laptop as it's soldered to the motherboard. Is this going to cause problems?

4. I've already installed it into the compartment and connected it up via the HDD "port", have I jumped the gun, do I need to take it back out and connect it up via USB to clone?

See, I did say I need an idiots guide....

All advice will be gratefully received, thanks.

Jo

Answers