98% available (plugged in, not charging)

lgbalfa
lgbalfa Member Posts: 20 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

when i do a search online, this seems to be a common problem with acer laptops.

obviously you cannot remove the battery since it is built in the S3 as a lot of people have suggested to do that with removable batteries to reset it.

the issue appears to be intermittent.

sometimes it says 100% charged but other times it says 98% available (plugged in, not charging).

even though there is a lot of people complaining about this on the internet, i cannot find a solution to this issue.

please help.

thank you.

Best Answer

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

Hi Igbalfa

This problem isn't particularly an Acer fault - it is a Windows Anomaly!

Shutdown laptop & remove power cable. Underneath your laptop there is a battery reset pinhole. Use a pin or a paperclip to reset the battery. If that alone doesn't work then additionally:

1. Connect power & restart
    2. Go to device manager (right click "Computer" & select manage)
    3. Under the Batteries section, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery (or similar) listings, and select Uninstall.
    4. Shutdown laptop & disconnect mains power
    5. Reset your battery (as above)
    6. Connect power & restart

Hopefully, the message will be gone & it should now charge.

Answers

• finlux
    Answer ✓

Hi Igbalfa

This problem isn't particularly an Acer fault - it is a Windows Anomaly!

Shutdown laptop & remove power cable. Underneath your laptop there is a battery reset pinhole. Use a pin or a paperclip to reset the battery. If that alone doesn't work then additionally:

1. Connect power & restart
    2. Go to device manager (right click "Computer" & select manage)
    3. Under the Batteries section, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery (or similar) listings, and select Uninstall.
    4. Shutdown laptop & disconnect mains power
    5. Reset your battery (as above)
    6. Connect power & restart

Hopefully, the message will be gone & it should now charge.

• lgbalfa

thank you.

seems to fix the issue.

hopefully it won't happen again.

• finlux

Great! I'm glad it worked for you!

• fivehundred
    fivehundred Member Posts: 1 New User

When you had this problem, did your laptop turn off immediately when removing the charger?

• lgbalfa

it did not.

• Moresby
    Moresby Member Posts: 29 New User

My usual fix for this problem.

Unplug the charger from the laptop.  Plug it back in.  Doing this almost always results in it changing to Fully charged 100% or at least changes the "not charging" to "charging".

Simpler than the "accepted solution".

• ricargv
    ricargv Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Dear Sir/Madame,

I have tried to fix this problem as you explained but it is not working.

The laptop (M3 ma50) was working without problems but it was so slow, so I decided to format it and reinstall Windows.

Now is when I am having the problem with the battery.

Is there any other solution?

Kind regards,

Ricar 

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer

ricargv wrote:

Dear Sir/Madame,

I have tried to fix this problem as you explained but it is not working.

The laptop (M3 ma50) was working without problems but it was so slow, so I decided to format it and reinstall Windows.

Now is when I am having the problem with the battery.

Is there any other solution?

Kind regards,

Ricar 

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

Hi,

Could you please try a battery calibration with this tutorial and let us know whether it fixes the problem:http://www.howtogeek.com/172271/how-to-calibrate-your-laptops-battery-for-accurate-battery-life-estimates/

• ricargv
    ricargv Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hi!

I cannot follow the procedures because it says "Pull the power plug and leave your computer discharging until..." and when I pull the power plug the computer automatically switches off.

Any other solution? 

• Jessica-Jean
    Jessica-Jean Member Posts: 1 New User

Thank you for the tip about the pin-hole reset button. It worked for me. I've been using this laptop nearly non-stop since November 2015, and today was the first problem with it!

• Freakbee
    Freakbee Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same problem with mine, 68% av(plugged in, not charging) is there any solutions on this. Been trying the suggestion of @finlux, still not working. 
  • Tnias
    Tnias Member Posts: 2 New User
    We have an Acer Aspire V17 - Nitro Black Edition.  It has always run fine until the battery would only hold a charge for about 30 min.  Thus, we changed out the battery for a new one bearing all of the exact same model numbers etc. as the original battery.  When we plugged in the laptop after the battery replacement the laptop would no charge over 72%.  We tried a of the solutions suggested and have only been able to get the charger to come on for brief moments.  By repeating the accepted solution many times we have boosted the maximum charge to 87%.  It takes about ten cycles of repeating the accepted solution to raise the battery storage 1%.  There has got to be a better solution.  All of the internal cables are connected properly with no bent pins on any sockets.  All of the screws are in place and tight.  The case is properly closed and sealed.  And we have repeatedly attempted to reset the battery by charging the laptop as full as we can get it, leaving it plugged in over night; then, running it on battery power until it shuts off (having depleted the battery's charge; then, we recharge the laptop for at least eight hours.  After completing that reset process, the battery never charges more than it did when we last attempted to completely charge it.  What else can we do to get the system to once again show a 100% charge?