My laptop an515-54 freezes and i can't do anything

TahaGabek345
TahaGabek345 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited August 2022 in Nitro Gaming
i have a acer nitro 5 an515-54 and a few days ago my laptop has started to freeze up and i can't do much. I launch it as normal and everything is fine for a few minutes and then randomly i can't really do much i can't use the taskbar. the mouse isn't responsive. I opened the task manager and i realised that my browser uses a lot of memory close to 1000mb when idle. I updated to windows 11 and it didn't fix it then i went back to windows 10. i Factory reset the laptop and it still didn't fix the problem i don't know what to do  please help. 

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,329 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    OEM Factory reset partition may have been overwritten already. But try this anyway.

(1) Shut down machine normally.
    (2) Turn machine on and immediately tap F2 key to enter BIOS menu.
    (3) Make sure F12 and D2D options are enabled in the BIOS Main tab
    (4) Press F10 to save BIOS settings and exit
    (5) Shut down machine normally again
    (6) Turn machine back on and immediatley press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key
    (7) If the factory reset partition is still available, a factory recovery menu should appear with several recovery and reset options.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    >>>i Factory reset>>>

Describe EXACTLY how you factory reset?

Jack E/NJ

• TahaGabek345

Tinkerer

I turned on the laptop in the screen for logging in I held shift and pressed restart it brought me to a screen I clicked trouble shoot, reset this pc, then remove all files and I chose to install windows from the pc not the cloud and I reset the whole thing 
  • JackE
    Sorry, that wasn't a factory reset. That was a generic Win10 reset from the generic recovery partition that was created when you went back to Win10 from Win11. You likely now have two recovery partitions. One is the original ACER factory reset partition. The other is the generic Microsoft reset partition. If you can still boot into the Win10 desktop, press WIN+R. Enter 'diskmgmt.msc'. Please post screenshot of result so we can see if there are two recovery partitions.

Jack E/NJ

• TahaGabek345

Tinkerer

This is what I got 
  • ragsak28
    ragsak28 Ally Posts: 677
    Hi @TahaGabek345

You can try a factory reset using the steps in the link below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/recovery-options-in-windows-31ce2444-7de3-818c-d626-e3b5a3024da5#WindowsVersion=Windows_11

NOTE: Make sure to backup all the data before the reset.

Hope it will help you in some way.
  • TahaGabek345

Tinkerer

edited August 2022
    ragsak28 said:
    Hi @TahaGabek345

You can try a factory reset using the steps in the link below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/recovery-options-in-windows-31ce2444-7de3-818c-d626-e3b5a3024da5#WindowsVersion=Windows_11

NOTE: Make sure to backup all the data before the reset.

Hope it will help you in some way.
    I already reset just like in the link you sent and it didn't fix anything  
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    OEM Factory reset partition may have been overwritten already. But try this anyway.

(6) Turn machine back on and immediatley press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key
    (7) If the factory reset partition is still available, a factory recovery menu should appear with several recovery and reset options.

Jack E/NJ

• TahaGabek345

Tinkerer

JackE said:

If the factory reset partition is still available, what do I do from there 
  • JackE
    Follow directions on the menu to either do a factory reset while trying to save your personal files/data or an erase everything clean factory reset which is best.

Jack E/NJ

• TahaGabek345

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Follow directions on the menu to either do a factory reset while trying to save your personal files/data or an erase everything clean factory reset which is best.
    Okay perfect thank you I'll do that when I have time and I'll update you on what happens 
    Thank you again 
  • JackE
    Good luck. But if it doesn't work, we can certainly try other possibilities.

Jack E/NJ

• TahaGabek345

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Good luck. But if it doesn't work, we can certainly try other possibilities.
    Hey I reset it and everything is working perfectly so far, thank you so much for this I can go back to playing games.
    Thank you 
  • JackE
    Congratulations. Thanks for reporting back on your success! :)

Jack E/NJ

• TahaGabek
    TahaGabek Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

the problem has come back, it works for a while and freezes just like previously.

• JackE

Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in left pane. If System Protection is turned on in the box that pops up, click System Restore button. Click next. Do you see an automatic restore point with a date stamp approximately when the freezing started again?

Jack E/NJ

• TahaGabek345

Tinkerer

I can't click the system restore button because it's gray and when I go to turn on the system protection it is gray too and I don't know how to turn on the system protection

• JackE

Do you have a non- M crosoft virus scanner running in the background? Disable it or better yet uninstall it. Most folks don't need it. Then restart Windows and try again.

Jack E/NJ