Subject: Charging Issue with Acer Swift SF514-51 laptop only charges when folded and plugged in

GaneswaraReddy
GaneswaraReddy Member Posts: 6 New User
edited October 22 in Swift and Spin Series

Subject: Charging Issue with Acer Swift SF514-51

Dear Acer Support Team,

I am experiencing a charging issue with my Acer Swift SF514-51. The laptop only charges when folded (hibernated) and plugged in, but does not charge when powered on. I've checked the battery, cables, drivers, and power plan settings, all of which are up to date. I have also replaced the charging adapter with a new one.

it shows the power symbol and the light on side 1st 20 sec when i plug it while power on and using, i did repeat unplug and plug in same repeats but once it folded it getting charged.

Could you please advise on how to resolve this issue?

Thank you for your assistance

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,640 Trailblazer
    edited October 5

Hi, a lot has happened to Windows10-11 since January 2017 when this Swift model was introduced, Modern Standby replacing Windows8.1 Connected Standby is one of the changes and if you have missed some of the W10 feature upgrades your registry may still be running the W8.1 Connected Standby protocol, also the battery is more than 7 years old and if never replaced will be dead by now. The first thing to do is get a new battery and verify your BIOS version is 1.15 from 2018/10/19. If you upgraded to Windows11 23H2 there could be potential issues with drivers or performance and consider a "Clean" install of Windows10 22H2.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,848 Trailblazer

Are you using the stock charger? Sometimes if the charger is giving a smaller output than the original design called for it will charge while off but only try to maintain a charge when running. You need a 45W output from the charger at 19V.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • GaneswaraReddy

Hi Mr. Puraw,

Thank you for your detailed response. I’ve been using this laptop for the past 5 years with Windows 10 Home, and the charging issue never occurred before. The battery health was fine—on a full charge, I could use it for 5 hours or watch 3 movies without a problem. I recently bought a new battery, tested with both the original and a new charger, but the issue persists. I’ve reinstalled power drivers and ensured everything is up to date. Is there anything else I could be missing?

Thanks again for your help.

• GaneswaraReddy

Hi Mr. Billsey,

Thank you for your input. Yes, I’m using both the original charger and a brand-new OEM charger with identical specs. I double-checked the power descriptions to ensure they match. Interestingly, when I replaced the charger with the new one, it worked perfectly for 12 days, with no issues during multiple connect/disconnect cycles. However, after that, the problem returned, and I’m not sure what went wrong.

Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

• Puraw

Hi, what version of Windows10 are you running, have you upgraded to 22H2 yet?

• Puraw

Yes, that build is after last October 8 Windows10 update. All I can think of is that the battery does not support Modern Standby, run a battery report and check the header if you see this (red box):

BTW, Microsoft recommended for Windows10 users to disable Fast Startup and Hibernate, I see you are still using Hibernate? Type Closing the lid in Search and click on "Change what closing the lid does" and "Change settings currently unavailable" disable these two options as they interfere with Modern Standby.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,848 Trailblazer

I have never seen a recommendation from Microsoft to disable either fast startup or hibernate. I use both as the defaults for all my machines and have never run into any issues with them. I think it likely the battery is reporting a full charge when it's not actually full. The battery report may help us see if that is the case.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • GaneswaraReddy
  • GaneswaraReddy

file:///C:/Windows/System32/battery-report.html