NEO 16 2023 PHN16-71 Screen Freezing/Audio Crackling

Options
raindropmusings
raindropmusings Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited April 14 in Predator Laptops

So, in the past week or so my Neo 16 unit started experiencing freezing at random times. I tried looking for solutions on Reddit and I've done some of the basic troubleshooting steps already like sfc, DISM, restore points, rollback drivers, and finally checking event viewer and reliability reports to check what was going on. Unfortunately, I'm not tech-savvy enough to understand some of the reports in Event Viewer. I'm not sure whether this is an NVIDIA problem or not since most people using the 40 series are experiencing the "flickering" instead.

Basically, the main issue is that when I'm browsing or streaming videos, I sometimes hear a crackling sound. Nothing else happens after that usually but that's kind of a bad sign already.
The freeze, which is a worse problem happens also on either streaming, gaming or just using the laptop normally. The only "quick fix" is to do a hard reset.

Updated Drivers, turned off HAGS, rolled back some GPU drivers but didn't do a complete wipe yet. I think that would be my last resort.

Here are some of the deets of my laptop.
13th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-13500HX
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU / Intel® UHD Graphics
24 DDR5 RAM

Anyone else experiencing this?

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,503 Trailblazer
    Options

Restore the system (registry) to before you had the freezing and sound issues (1 month back?). Type Create a restore point in the Search bar, Enter, then click on System restore at the top of that window followed by a date. If that fails or you never saved a restore point do the Reset this PC (type that in Search) select "Without losing any files" option.

• raindropmusings

Tinkerer

Options

Sorry for the late response. I've been spending so much time trying to find a solution. I haven't. There's none.
    Also, I couldn't find any restore points that far back.

I think my last resort is to do a Reset.
    It's pretty frustrating tbh since I can't pinpoint the exact reason why it's been happening.

• XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,584 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options

If reset doesn't help, replace it or get a refund.

Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • raindropmusings

Tinkerer

Options

Unfortunately, both options are no longer offered since the time limit already passed. RMA is no longer available too.
    Will do the rest tonight and give an update afterwards.

• XdxD
    Options

Replacement comes under warranty. Contact Acer Service Center of your region. All Acer laptops have 1-year warranty.

• raindropmusings

Tinkerer

Options

Did the reset. The flicker still happened. Unbelievable. I got pretty unlucky with this unit. Maybe it's the ram, or the recent NVIDIA 40 series issue, or both.

Exhausted all my options. Replacement is the way to go (assuming some parts really are going bonkers) but it's a bit difficult for me since I use it daily for work and I have no alternatives at the moment.

In any case, thank you to all who tried to help. Unfortunately, I couldn't solve the problem entirely. I'll have to see how this goes for a couple more days.

• XdxD
    Options

Care to share some threads regarding "most people using the 40 series are experiencing the "flickering" instead"?

• raindropmusings

Tinkerer

Options

There are hundreds of users on Reddit alone who reported this. Different makes and models too.
    Here's the thread although you can't view it right now since Reddit has a "protest" going on.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/13vrgla/game_ready_studio_driver_53598_faqdiscussion/?sort=new

• DP2023
    DP2023 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options

I have this freezing issue on my acer helios neo 16 4060 laptop, has been freezing once every single day since the day of purchase a month ago.
    I figured out a solution just today.
    In the Nvidia Control Panel - Global settings - Set Power management to "prefer max performance".
    This has stopped the freezing problem.
    But now the GPU runs at full clock for the core and memory all the time.
    So I'm not sure that is good for the longevity of the GPU, but 4000 series being very efficient, I noticed in GPU-Z wattage was still very low, went up from 5.9W "normal" to 13.1W with the "prefer max performance".
    I don't know if this is a hardware issue in the GPU (the factory overclock not being stable for some reason at normal setting) or if this is from the nvidia drivers, and that a future driver may allow me to set it back to normal setting without a freeze.
    The fly in the ointment is that, I have another friend who purchased the same laptop just days before me, and he does not have this freezing issue. So that makes me wonder…

• DP2023
    DP2023 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options

Update: Laptop still freezes, even with 'prefer max performance' setting.
    So yea, will have to ask for a replacement.
    Hopefully they'll do it without too much difficulty.

• XdxD
    Options

Seems like you got a "bad" unit. Hopefully it gets replaced easily.

• eGomes
    eGomes Member Posts: 2,929 Guru
    Options

Hi @raindropmusings,

Is the UEFI/BIOS firmware of your Predator PHN16-71 updated to the latest available version (1.10)!?

If this audio crackling / freezing issue occurs only in specific situations, try disabling the use of "hardware acceleration" in your internet browser settings.

Alternatively, use the LatencyMon tool to analyze and identify possible buffer "underrun" and "latency" issues.

• LaptopGuide
    LaptopGuide Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

if you need display for NEO 16 2023 PHN16-71, visit pctech.co.in. I purchased one to upgrade my 1920x1200 pixels into 2560x1600. awesome website in India.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

This is the latest bios version:

BIOS

1. Update ME for WiDi stability 2. Support new panel with G-Sync

Acer

2023/09/06

13.97 MB

Download

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • nhsajib
    nhsajib Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I am facing same problem with Acer Predator Helios Neo 16 PHN16

Configration of my laptop.
    13th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-13500HX
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4050 Laptop GPU / Intel® UHD Graphics
    24 DDR5 RAM (8GB, 16GB)

After lot of troubleshoot problem is not solved.😐️

• eGomes
    eGomes Member Posts: 2,929 Guru
    Options

Hi @nhsajib,

Try disable Multi-Plane Overlay (MPO):

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-amd-nvidia-are-all-sleeping-on-windows-11-mpo-display-issues/

And turn off  Intel Graphics Command Center > System > Power > Panel Self Refresh:

• Insang
    Insang Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Hello people i just bought 6 days ago my new predator helios neo 16 RTX 4060 i7 13 gen and im facing the same freezing and crackling sound problem when i watch videos

• XdxD
    Options

If you wish a hassle-free experience, get it replaced and check if the same happens with that model as well. If it occurs still, go with some other model/brand.