Spin 713 Chromebook speaker crackling?

mjmc
mjmc Member Posts: 1 New User
edited January 2022 in Chromebooks
Ive just purchased a new Spin 713 Chromebook and there's a loud crackling noise from the right speaker. This is the second Spin Chromebook Ive purchased and returned the previous one. Any suggestions for a fix?

Best Answer

• uk_guy_73
    uk_guy_73 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓
    I think OS99 on stable channel has fixed it now. Not had any problems since updating.

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,084
    @mjmc

We need to determine whether it is a hardware or software issue.

Please try to connect external speakers, headset and check.. 

Try to do a chrome reset on your chromebook   
    open chrome
    click on three dots on top right corner 
    click on settings
    Scroll down - go to advanced
    click on restore setting to default
    you will see reset settings - cancel
    click on reset settings 
    Close the chrome and open it  It should work fine..

Now try to play a video and check the sound.

If it is still not working..

We need to do a power wash on your chrome book. 

Restart the chromebook.

On the login screen please don’t type the password.

Hold the Ctrl key + shift key + alt key on keyboard and then press the letter r once

It will show “Reset this pc”

Click on power wash and continue..

Please understand it will clear the local and user settings..

Please complete the final setup..

Connnect to wifi and type the wifi password

Login to chromebook with your regular password

It should work fine ..

Now try to play a video and check the sound.

Kindly follow the details from the link given below.    It will show you how to perform a hard reset. 

https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/496-reinstall-powerwash-the-chrome-os

Once the hard reset is completed try to check whether it is working fine. 

If your computer is in warranty you can contact the warranty dept.     Go to the website support.acer.com - chose your country.   On the new page - scroll down -  click on "contact support".  Scroll down.  You can find the phone no to contact the warranty dept. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• grainybazzles
    grainybazzles Member Posts: 1 New User
    Was having this same problem and a powerwash seems to have fixed it for me. Thanks!
  • cfreyer
    cfreyer Member Posts: 2 New User
    mjmc said:
    Ive just purchased a new Spin 713 Chromebook and there's a loud crackling noise from the right speaker. This is the second Spin Chromebook Ive purchased and returned the previous one. Any suggestions for a fix?
    Same issue for me.  I bought my Spin 713 from BestBuy a week ago.  Happened when playing any audio....youtube, netflix, etc.  I also couldn't get Duo to work.   But then last night (Jan 24, 2022), I got a ChromeOS update to version 97.0.4692.91.  All audio issues are completely resolved.  And Duo works. 

This seems like a resolved driver bug to me.  I can't find any release notes.
    https://chromereleases.googleblog.com/2022/01/stable-channel-update-for-chrome-os_18.html

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @mjmc,

Laptop Speakers Crackling
    1. Solution 1: Checking Audio Format.
    2. Solution 2: Disabling Audio Enhancements and Exclusive mode.
    3. Solution 3: Checking DPC Latency.
    4. Solution 4: Disabling third-party programs.
    5. Solution 5: Installing High Definition Audio Device.
  • Maramind
    Maramind Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same here. Just bought Spin 713 last week had crackle sound from right speaker. Switched it for a new one and still same thing on the right speaker. I am on newest update. Very disappointing. Not sure what to do here. I don't see how a "power wash" would fix it. 
  • thestoat
    thestoat Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited January 2022
    Maramind said:
    Same here. Just bought Spin 713 last week had crackle sound from right speaker. Switched it for a new one and still same thing on the right speaker. I am on newest update. Very disappointing. Not sure what to do here. I don't see how a "power wash" would fix it. 
    Exactly the same for me, same issue on 2 Spin 713s and power washing has not fixed the issue.  Any other suggestions to resolve?

Edited to add there is no issue when using headphones.

• KevinSmith_IT
    KevinSmith_IT Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same. I'm on the Beta channel and it's been an issue for a few weeks. Currently on Version 98.0.4758.67 (Official Build) beta (64-bit). Cracking sound happens even when muted. I've yet to hear it on a headset plugged physically in; they may not be affected. I have two Spin 713, both on the Beta channel, but have only noticed it on one of them (so far).
  • laryongi
    laryongi Member Posts: 2 New User
    Same story here. Just sent back the brand new CP713-3W-57R0 because of crackling in the right speaker. It appears not immediately, rather 3-5 minutes later after fresh start, and is best heard during voice playback with volume at minimum level. Tried several apps, all the same. Chrome OS updated to the most recent version, however I doubt this is a software issue. It was my third, and the last attempt to buy 713 due to persistent quality issues :( In that price bracket you have to do better, team Acer.
  • thestoat
    thestoat Member Posts: 2 New User
    I am sad to say that having now tried two with the same issue my Chromebook journey is about to end for now.  The 713 is a great device if you ignore the speaker crackling, I just cannot live with the issue.
  • Soupman1100
    Soupman1100 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Add me to the list of people that now have a Spin 713 with a crackling right speaker.  The sound is great with headphones or a bluetooth speaker connected.   It started for me a week or so ago.    Not only does the speaker crackle, but it is noticeably quieter than the left speaker. 
  • laryongi
    laryongi Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited January 2022
    I am wondering, is there any other chromebook model affected by the issue? If it's software-related, 713 cannot be the only one. Just to mention, my wife's CP713-2W-31D2 speakers work fine even with all latest updates installed.
  • RaiderRT
    RaiderRT Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same exact issue on mine that I purchased last week. I have reloaded it multiple times, once including the Canary version of Chrome OS. The only thing I have found that works is to reboot it. That only solves it for a little while though and then it comes back. Another reboot, another few hours of good audio. It definitely seems software related.
  • MarkusRLP
    MarkusRLP Member Posts: 3 New User
    I can confirm the same issue with my new Chromebook 713. Have purchased the device 2 weeks ago and after realizing this issue, send it to the repair center and they replaced the speaker. Yesterday get the device back and the issue is still here. This issue is not acceptable, will contact Acer support again. For me it sounds more like a software issue, the speaker replacement don't fix this issue
  • obrien110
    obrien110 Member Posts: 3 New User
    I purchased my Chromebook Spin 713 at Best Buy on a Black Friday sale in November. The right speaker crackling started a few weeks ago and continues, even with a Hard reset and a Chromebook latest update. Very disappointing to see so many affected by this on an otherwise beautiful Chromebook.
  • MarkusRLP
    MarkusRLP Member Posts: 3 New User
    MarkusRLP said:
    I can confirm the same issue with my new Chromebook 713. Have purchased the device 2 weeks ago and after realizing this issue, send it to the repair center and they replaced the speaker. Yesterday get the device back and the issue is still here. This issue is not acceptable, will contact Acer support again. For me it sounds more like a software issue, the speaker replacement don't fix this issue
    I can confirm, that a reboot will fix this issue for some time. Looks maybe not only like a connection issue with the speaker, the crackling is not hearable on my device on every volume level. Electrical interferences between the board and right speaker?
  • grantxyz
    grantxyz Member Posts: 1 New User
    I bought a new ASUS cx-5400 and had this issue with the left speaker. I returned it and replaced with a 713 from Best Buy (3w). The 713 had the issue in the right speaker. I returned that this week and got a replacement 713 and have the same issue. It sounds like this may by a chrome os issue, but I hestitate to keep the device past the warranty return date in case it really is a widespread hardware issue.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    I can't remember which 713 model we are all talking about, but I believe it's the CP713-3W, the latest version from 2021. Here is the layout with the cover and battery removed. Remember this is looking from the bottom so left and right are reversed:

The speakers are marked "A", "B" is where they attach to the motherboard and "C" is the wiring between the two. The left "A" in the picture is the speaker in question, at the right side of the Chromebook. There just isn't anything electrical there to interfere with that speaker. Power input is from the two TBT ports at top right of the picture with the metal bracket to provide extra strength. The volume rocker switch is on the other side, on that daughter board near where the two (white and black) antenna wires cross over from the wireless card. In order for the noise to be hardware induced it pretty much has to be from the area of the MB where "B" is. next to the headphone jack and from what I understand you are not hearing the crackle on headphones, only on the speaker...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • uk_guy_73
    uk_guy_73 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    I have the 713 3W 52AL. Same issues. I bought it last September. 
    I had a feeling something was wrong with the right speaker because in the first few weeks, it would sometimes only come on when a certain volume was sent through it. It's always seemed slightly quieter than the left speaker.
    My right speaker now crackles after it's been in use for a while, any time between 30 mins to 1hr 30mins then it's all the time. I can reboot but that never works for long, the crackles come straight back.  Can this problem be heat related? I am loathed to do a Powerwash unless it's going back to the shop for a refund. And it didn't work for some people here. 
    I am running Version 97.0.4692.91.
    There's a discussion over at Reddit
  • Samuel-Acer
    Samuel-Acer Moderator Posts: 687 Moderator
    Hello Everyone,

We are extremely sorry to hear on what happened,

I would kindly recommend to contact Acer support in your region to check for any other possible solution or may be for a service.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Regards,
    Acer-Samuel
  • obrien110
    obrien110 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Acer support wants you to send the Chromebook in for service.