Spin 713 Chromebook speaker crackling?

Options

Answers

• JJSW
    JJSW Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

We are extremely sorry to hear on what happened,

I would kindly recommend to contact Acer support in your region to check for any other possible solution or may be for a service.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Regards,
    Acer-Samuel
    Hi.

If there is a Regional solution it would be very helpful for it to be posted in the forum. I suspect that where I bought my Acer has little to do with the problem I, and many others, have.

None of the solutions provided above have worked for me. The righthand speaker crackles on (external speakers, headphones and earphones do not).
  • uk_guy_73
    uk_guy_73 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Also in the UK we are supposed to deal be with the place of purchase, but I'll give UK support a call anyway.
  • uk_guy_73
    Options
    Just updated to Version 97.0.4692.102, still cracking all the time now
  • obrien110
    obrien110 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    uk_guy_73 said:
    Just updated to Version 97.0.4692.102, still cracking all the time now
    Same here. Not good. Like others have said, the crackling occurs mostly when the volume output is low.
  • charlie21
    charlie21 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Sad to add to this thread.  Like many others, also a BestBuy Black Friday purchase.  Also the right speaker.  Didn't start right away, but after about 6 weeks of use.  3.5mm headphone jack and bluetooth both work fine.  Frustrating that they are making everyone powerwash their machines, for something that is very likely a hardware issue that won't go away with a wash, and wasting hours of customer's time.  
  • coastalcrown
    coastalcrown Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Same issue here. Brand new machine i got today. I basicly got it 1 hour ago. :(
  • Martin177
    Martin177 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    Same issue, on stable and beta channels, the issue still occurs after some time. A power cycle seems to fix it temporarily, but it doesn't take long to return. I've tried a power wash too but the issue has returned and still returns after a power cycle eventually. Can't see how it can be hardware related when the chromebook didn't ship with this issue and a power cycle sorts it briefly. 
  • uk_guy_73
    Options
    That's interesting but if it's a hardware issue, why are all other outputs eg headphones plugged in, Bluetooth, all fine?
  • uk_guy_73
    Options
    i really hope it's software-related.
  • uk_guy_73
    Options
    I called UK support. They told me to do a power wash which I did. Problem came back after about 5 mins, however that was updating to the latest version of Chrome. I will do another powerwash and not update.  This might mean it is software related, and would be a waste of time sending it in.

• uk_guy_73
    Options
    It seems to have updated itself to Version 98.0.4758.91 and the crackling is back. I was hoping to test the non-updated OS for a while longer. I have support calling me tomorrow afternoon.
    I don't want to send it in if the cause is unknown and there are no solutions yet.
  • Martin177

Tinkerer

Options
    Still present on Version 99.0.4844.14 (Beta). Can't see how it can be hardware related with other chromebooks having the same issue. 
  • NeilA123
    NeilA123 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Last good OS for me was 96.0.4664.111, since 97 onwards I've had crackling right speaker, power washed, came back, same as all of you. Kept it at 96 for as long as I could, but Chrome OS does not let you stop auto updates.
    Todays update to OS 98 is the last straw, still happening.
    The Chrome OS updates site does not have a download for version 96:
    Search 'volteer' on this site - 
    https://cros-updates-serving.appspot.com/   
    I firmly believe that this is a software issue, and it's very annoying that a nearly new laptop has to be shipped back for this. 
    Also, has anyone else noticed that the USB C port closest to the HDMI no longer works? It does not charge, and does not recognize USB C headphones. The USB C port closest to the back still works fine.
    If it helps, I'm in the UK and the place I bought the laptop from says that I have to deal directly with Acer.
    Confidence is low.
  • uk_guy_73
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Neil i was interested in your reply. The main thing that I think it could be hardware related is that the longer i leave the laptop off, the longer it takes for the crackling to start. Also i tried an online tone generator today and the sound is not consistent between the various pitches and i mainly get the crackle with a sine wave at 45hz. 
  • MarkusRLP
    MarkusRLP Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    My device was now two times in the repair center, first time the speaker und at the second time the Mainboard was replaced. I've get my device back and the issue is still exist, for me it sounds like a construction issue or software bug. Not sure what I've like to do as next, waiting on the support to respond again.
  • uk_guy_73
    Options
    Acer support number in uk only really books items in for repair. They can't tell you if your fault is software or hardware, or if they know the cause of the problem. Having read some comments here, I am reluctant to send it in for repair.

Please Acer let us know if you know how this problem arises.

Also Neil the shop is wrong to say that to you. 
  • uk_guy_73
    Options
    I think I'll try for a refund from the place I bought it.
  • Martin177

Tinkerer

Options
    I suggest everyone with the issue star it here.

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/215407132
  • Martin177

Tinkerer

Options
    NeilA123 said:

Also, has anyone else noticed that the USB C port closest to the HDMI no longer works? It does not charge, and does not recognize USB C headphones. The USB C port closest to the back still works fine.

Nope, all my USB ports work as expected.
  • Martin177

Tinkerer

Options
    Can anyone with the issue check something. When you've got confirmed crackling, stop you audio and put your ear to the back of the laptop where the USB C ports are, opposite the front right crackling speaker. I noticed I can hear static.