3 week old Acer Aspire 5 A514-54-3384 won't wake from sleep

Options
littleboxes74
littleboxes74 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited July 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello, I've just purchased an Aspire 5 for some light work and all of a sudden whenever it goes into sleep/hibernation mode (whether through the sleep button or from being left on) it won't wake back up. pressing keys, the mouse or the sleep button does nothing and a short press of the power key doesn't work either. the only thing that does anything is a hard shutdown by holding the power button down. This is super frustrating as I use it for university work which makes it impractical to constantly shutdown the computer every time I use it. I've done some research and all the drivers are up to date so I don't know whats causing the issue given how suddenly it arose. I have also tried to roll back the display drivers (intel UHD) but the button was greyed out.

Just to add that the PC fan and blue power light are on while I try to wake the PC and I am able to turn on air-plane mode using F2 while the computer is "asleep".

If anyone has any idea please help, Thanks in advance!!!

The model number is N20C4
A514-54-3384

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,337 Trailblazer
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Hello, I've just purchased an Aspire 5 for some light work and all of a sudden whenever it goes into sleep/hibernation mode (whether through the sleep button or from being left on) it won't wake back up. pressing keys, the mouse or the sleep button does nothing and a short press of the power key doesn't work either. the only thing that does anything is a hard shutdown by holding the power button down. This is super frustrating as I use it for university work which makes it impractical to constantly shutdown the computer every time I use it. I've done some research and all the drivers are up to date so I don't know whats causing the issue given how suddenly it arose. I have also tried to roll back the display drivers (intel UHD) but the button was greyed out.

Just to add that the PC fan and blue power light are on while I try to wake the PC and I am able to turn on air-plane mode using F2 while the computer is "asleep".

A514-54-3384

Go into the "Choose or customise a power plan" by right clicking on the battery icon on the right task bar, click on the Power Options, then reset the "Change when the computer sleeps” see the 2nd caption I’ve attached below, as that is the settings that I've got and closing the lid put the laptop to sleep. Or go to: windows icon (left taskbar) click on the Power Icon >Power >Sleep and it should work. Otherwise reset the battery and see if that does anything? If that does not work send your laptop to Acer and tell them the problem and get Acer to fix this problem with your laptop, as your laptop is still under warranty, don’t open it and/or do anything that will void your warranty. 

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi littleboxes74,

Try to do power drain,

1. Shutdown the unit.
    2. Unplug the cables connected to the unit.
    3. At bottom of the unit there will be a small tiny pin hole with a battery symbol close to it. Take a pin or a paper clip insert into it you feels like pressing a button hold it for 20-30 seconds. 
  • littleboxes74
    Options
    StevenGen said:

A514-54-3384

Go into the "Choose or customise a power plan" by right clicking on the battery icon on the right task bar, click on the Power Options, then reset the "Change when the computer sleeps” see the 2nd caption I’ve attached below, as that is the settings that I've got and closing the lid put the laptop to sleep. Or go to: windows icon (left taskbar) click on the Power Icon >Power >Sleep and it should work. Otherwise reset the battery and see if that does anything? If that does not work send your laptop to Acer and tell them the problem and get Acer to fix this problem with your laptop, as your laptop is still under warranty, don’t open it and/or do anything that will void your warranty. 

Thank you for your suggestion, I've done as you have suggested and its a little more useable and I will probably end up sending it back to Acer. I was just hoping there would be a solution that I could try before getting to that point. Thanks anyway!!
  • littleboxes74
    Options
    Easwar said:
    Hi littleboxes74,

Try to do power drain,

1. Shutdown the unit.
    2. Unplug the cables connected to the unit.
    3. At bottom of the unit there will be a small tiny pin hole with a battery symbol close to it. Take a pin or a paper clip insert into it you feels like pressing a button hold it for 20-30 seconds. 
    Hi Easwar,

Thanks for your suggestion. I've tried that and it still hasn't worked :( but thanks for your suggestion
  • wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,212 Overclocked Contributor WiFi Icon
    Options
    You need a BIOS-Update to fix the problem, see here: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/1032645/#Comment_1032645
  • wascas
    Options
  • littleboxes74
    Options
    Thank you! My laptop had an update a few hours ago and it seems to have fixed the problem but ill keep this in mind if it happens again. Do you know why this issue occurs? 
  • littleboxes74
    Options
    wascas said:
    Thank you! My laptop had an update a few hours ago and it seems to have fixed the problem but ill keep this in mind if it happens again. Do you know why this issue occurs? thanks that would be great!
  • wascas
    edited July 2021
    Options
    the issue concerns current Acer laptops (A517-52G, A515-56G, A515-54, A315-58) with Intel's 11th generation processor and onboard integrated Intel graphics chip. Windows Update has recently updated the Intel graphics driver, which leads to the black screen problem. The only solution is a BIOS-Update.
    Here are two links from the German Acer Forum on this topic.

• juuuushata
    juuuushata Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Go to More Change Advanced Power Settings/Power Options/Change Plan Settings/Sleep and set Hybrid Sleep to off and Hibernate to never.

To resolve this issue and resume computer operation, use one of the following methods:
    1. Press the SLEEP keyboard shortcut.
    2. Press a standard key on the keyboard.
    3. Move the mouse.
    4. Quickly press the power button on the computer. Note If you use Bluetooth devices, the keyboard may be unable to wake the system.
    You can wake the system by pressing a key twice on the keyboard, or clicking your mouse button twice. The first click will wake the system with no video displayed and the second click will enable the video. Press the Windows (Image: best monocular for stargazing uk here_icon_Windows_key. png) key and the letter X on your keyboard at the same time.
    If your computer isn't turning on properly, it may be stuck in Sleep Mode. Sleep Mode is a power-saving function designed to conserve energy and save wear and tear on your computer system. ... Sometimes a computer can get stuck in Sleep Mode and troubleshooting is required.