Acer Aspire Vn7 571 nitro - black screen, BIOS/acer logo visible with HDMI and external screen

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Must be FAT32 file system. Try the UEFI+CSM again even if MBR is forced on the iso. Then try to boot from it again. If still no joy, then change the BIOS back to legacy mode. Then try to boot from the MBR stick. We'll have to try to get the GPT partitioned hard drive to boot into HDMI Windows safe mode from the X: command prompt. 

Jack E/NJ

• Wesleydewijs
    Wesleydewijs Member Posts: 46 Troubleshooter
    JackE said:
    Must be FAT32 file system. Try the UEFI+CSM again even if MBR is forced on the iso. Then try to boot from it again. If still no joy, then change the BIOS back to legacy mode. Then try to boot from the MBR stick. We'll have to try to get the GPT partitioned hard drive to boot into HDMI Windows safe mode from the X: command prompt. 
    Inside Rufus I can only select the FAT32 file system when I select GPT partition. If I want to select UEFI+CSM it forces me to use MBR and NFTS file system
  • JackE
    >>> I tried the NTFS option after I tried booting from the FAT32 with GPT >>>
    >>>Inside Rufus I can only select the FAT32 file system when I select GPT partition.>>>

These two GPT statements seem conflicting? In the first GPT instance, NTFS was an option. In the second GPT instance, it wasn't an option.

>>>If I want to select UEFI+CSM it forces me to use MBR and NFTS file system>>>

Please also check this again. FAT32 should definitely be an option for MBR in CSM(UEFI legacy mode). If not, something's wrong 

Jack E/NJ

• Wesleydewijs
    JackE said:
    >>> I tried the NTFS option after I tried booting from the FAT32 with GPT >>>
    >>>Inside Rufus I can only select the FAT32 file system when I select GPT partition.>>>

These two GPT statements seem conflicting? In the first GPT instance, NTFS was an option. In the second GPT instance, it wasn't an option.

My bad, NTFS and FAT32 are both an option in GPT.  

Please also check this again. FAT32 should definitely be an option for MBR in CSM(UEFI legacy mode). If not, something's wrong 

NTFS seems to be the only option in MBR (see picture) 

• Wesleydewijs

Ok, I found on an online forum that the ALT+E command inside Rufus enables the option for FAT32 with MBR. For some reason it was hidden :)
  • JackE
    Did you perhaps download a portable rufus version?

Jack E/NJ

• Wesleydewijs
    JackE said:
    Did you perhaps download a portable rufus version?
    I double checked and it's the regular, non portable version 
  • JackE
    I'm using earlier v3.13 version. Maybe they changed it for some reason?  .

Jack E/NJ

• Wesleydewijs
    edited May 2021
    JackE said:
    I'm using earlier v3.13 version. Maybe they changed it for some reason?  .
    Yea could be, i'm using the latest 3.14 version. But the guy that said to press alt+E had the 3.0 version from around the year 2018
  • JackE
    Probably automatic in my laptops due to BIOS difference. Have you tried to boot from it yet? Even if you have to change  to UEFI legacy BIOS overlay.

Jack E/NJ

• Wesleydewijs
    JackE said:
    Probably automatic in my laptops due to BIOS difference. Have you tried to boot from it yet? Even if you have to change  to UEFI legacy BIOS overlay.
    I was able to boot from MBR USB (FAT32) with Legacy mode enabled:

• JackE
    Let the Win10-64 setup boot to see what its menu looks like. The menu sometimes render differently especially on an external HDMI screen. But it looks to me like its already using plain vanilla VGA video output which is what we want.

Jack E/NJ

• Wesleydewijs
    After I select the 64 option, it loads the windows setup menu (I can also open the command prompt in this screen) 

• JackE
    Open the X : \ > command prompt. What happens to the command prompt when you enter "C : "? 

Jack E/NJ

• Wesleydewijs
    JackE said:
    Open the X : \ > command prompt. What happens to the command prompt when you enter "C : "? 

This shows up: 
  • JackE
    OK good. Go to this link. Scroll down to the section "3. How to enter Safe Mode in Windows 10 using installation media and the Command Prompt"

You're already at the command prompt so go to the command prompt screen and follow directions to boot into safe mode from there. You may have to change the BIOS back to UEFI mode or a no bootable disk error may occur.

Jack E/NJ

• Wesleydewijs
    @JackE
    Am I missing the "X:windows\system32\" maybe? 

• JackE
    No. The first problem is that a legacy mode bootable USB stick BCDEDIT command can't operate properly on a UEFI mode bootable hard disk. The second problem is that a UEFI mode bootable USB stick doesn't want to run the external HDMI screen graphics, it wants to run the black lid screen.

You asked earlier >>> The LCD video ribbon could provide a solution for my black screen. But do you think it will also solve the issue of not being able to acces the desktop/login screen, since the screen freezes at the Acer logo even after a BIOS reset? Thanks!   >>>

Anything more I can think of doing to activate the external HDMI screen will strongly risk losing all that's on the GPT HDD. You can get personal files off of the HDD by simply removing it and connecting to another laptop's USB port with a $10 2.5" HDD-to-USB adapter. We can also try to at least try to reseat the LCD ribbon cable connectors at the  base of the screen and at the mainboard to see if we can get the lid screen back up and running without spending $25 on a new cable. Either way, requires pulling the bottom cover off to access the cable.

Jack E/NJ

• Wesleydewijs
    edited May 2021
    @JackE Alright! And is it not possible to run safe mode with the MBR boot USB (and legacy mode enabled), and then convert the GPT drive to MBR? And contiunue to run the system in Legacy mode. Or boot from the HDD and do the same thing. My primary goal is to get a functional windows system, I don't mind losing my personal files,  Maybe that helps :) 
  • JackE
    If you don't mind losing files, probably the easiest thing to try right now is to forge ahead and see if l Win10 will install on the HDD from the USB installation disk in BIOS legacy mode.  It should wipe the HDD and convert it to MBR. However, there is still a significant risk the external screen either won't work and freeze at the logo screen or be limited to VGA mode

Jack E/NJ