A515-41G-F2SH doesn't output hdmi.

Answers

• Bol_
    Bol_ Member Posts: 26 Troubleshooter
    JackE said:
    >>>its size is 9.04 MB and has the name isflash.bin>>>

That seems to be about the right size.

(1) Rename the .bin file C5V09x64.fd. Copy the file to the root directory of a FAT32 formatted USB stick preferrably with an activity LED. It must be the only file on the stick.

(2) Reset the mainboard. Unplug charger. Press & hold a paperclip into the reset hole on the bottom for about 60 seconds while at the same time pressing and holding the power button. Plug charger back in. Wait for battery charge LED to turn from steady orange to steady blue.

(3) Insert the USB stick.

(4) Press & hold the FN + ESC keys. Then while still holding the keys press the power button to turn the machine on.

(5) Wait for 3~5 seconds to make sure the system fan kicks in to full speed and see USB LED activity. Then release FN+ESC. If successful, it should take about 5 minutes and then shut down automatically.

If unsuccessful repeat steps 2-5 or another USB port. Sometimes takes more than one try.

Jack E/NJ.

well i don't have a battery in the laptop but imma try it. thanks :)
  • Bol_
    JackE said:
    >>>its size is 9.04 MB and has the name isflash.bin>>>

That seems to be about the right size.

(1) Rename the .bin file C5V09x64.fd. Copy the file to the root directory of a FAT32 formatted USB stick preferrably with an activity LED. It must be the only file on the stick.

(2) Reset the mainboard. Unplug charger. Press & hold a paperclip into the reset hole on the bottom for about 60 seconds while at the same time pressing and holding the power button. Plug charger back in. Wait for battery charge LED to turn from steady orange to steady blue.

(3) Insert the USB stick.

(4) Press & hold the FN + ESC keys. Then while still holding the keys press the power button to turn the machine on.

(5) Wait for 3~5 seconds to make sure the system fan kicks in to full speed and see USB LED activity. Then release FN+ESC. If successful, it should take about 5 minutes and then shut down automatically.

If unsuccessful repeat steps 2-5 or another USB port. Sometimes takes more than one try.

Jack E/NJ. 

By the way, do i rename it to C5V09x64.fd.bin or C5V09x64.fd ?
    bOdY iS 9 ChArAcTeRs tOo sHoRt

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    C5V09x64.fd

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bol_
    I let it for 7 mins on each port and nothing happened. The fan spinned fast af but it didn't flash or shut down. Here is the bios file
  • JackE
    That is a compressed Win archive. What does it yield decompressed?  Did you rename the isflash.bin to  C5V09x64.fd ? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bol_
    edited February 2021
    JackE said:
    That is a compressed Win archive. What does it yield decompressed?  Did you rename the isflash.bin to  C5V09x64.fd ? Jack E/NJ

Inside that .rar is the file i put on the usb.
    I did rename it

• JackE
    Where did you get the isflash.bin file? Did you rename the isflash.bin to  C5V09x64.fd ? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bol_
    JackE said:
    Where did you get the isflash.bin file? Did you rename the isflash.bin to  C5V09x64.fd ? Jack E/NJ

I started the installer on my pc then went to %temp% and copied the isflash.bin from there. Yes, I renamed it.
  • JackE
    OK. I'm confused. Then why did you show me the C5V09x64.RAR archive? Where did you get it? Is the decompressed RAR file the same size as isflash.bin file? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bol_
    edited February 2021
    JackE said:
    OK. I'm confused. Then why did you show me the C5V09x64.RAR archive? Where did you get it? Is the decompressed RAR file the same size as isflash.bin file? Jack E/NJ

I archived the file because this site doesn't allow me to upload files that have the .fd extension so i archived it to send it to you
  • JackE
    OK. Thanks. If you got the isflash.bin from the BIOS 1.09 version, try re-naming C5V09x64.FD on the USB stick to C5V109x64.FD Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bol_

JackE said:
    OK. Thanks. If you got the isflash.bin from the BIOS 1.09 version, try re-naming C5V09x64.FD on the USB stick to C5V109x64.FD Jack E/NJ

It still doesn't seem to work. I'll try soldering an activity led to my usb stick and see if it even lights up
  • Bol_
    JackE said:

Even after renaming and trying again, it doesn't work at all. Do i need the flashit.exe aswell? I have seen that in many videos they also have a flashit.exe
  • JackE
    >>>Do i need the flashit.exe aswell? >>>

Flashit or Flash (or Phlashit or Phlash) is part of the problem that I mentioned earlier. It's DOS executable that's no longer included with the latest Windows flash utilities. It used to be part of a BAT file that could be run virtually blind from a bootable FAT32 minidos.sys USB stick. Now all the latest black-screen flash utilities are based on the FN+ESC of a properly named FD extension file. We may not have the correct C5V09x64.FD filename but it's the only one I could find for this model.   There is a similar model A515-51G in which C5V01x64.FD was used. But the user never reported back on if it worked https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/562132/bios-recovery-acer-a515-51g-58vh

Jack E/NJ

• Bol_
    JackE said:

Flashit or Flash (or Phlashit or Phlash) is part of the problem that I mentioned earlier. It's DOS executable that's no longer included with the latest Windows flash utilities. It used to be part of a BAT file that could be run virtually blind from a bootable FAT32 minidos.sys USB stick. Now all the latest black-screen flash utilities are based on the FN+ESC of a properly named FD extension file. We may not have the correct C5V09x64.FD filename but it's the only one I could find for this model.   There is a similar model A515-51G in which C5V01x64.FD was used. But the user never reported back on if it worked https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/562132/bios-recovery-acer-a515-51g-58vh

I will try it. Thanks for your time! :)
  • Bol_
    JackE said:

Update: doesn't work
  • JackE
    I think C5V09x64.FD is correct for the  41G but the chip isn't initializing the USB ports and thus can't read the stick. You have two choices. (1) Learn on to use a relatively inexpensive eeprom programmer to repair the existing chip on the mainboard board --- or --- (2) purchase preprogrammed 41G chip but requires desoldering/soldering skills that you seem to have such as in this link.

Other users seem to have more success with the preprogrammed chip.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bol_
    JackE said:
    I think C5V09x64.FD is correct for the  41G but the chip isn't initializing the USB ports and thus can't read the stick. You have two choices. (1) Learn on to use a relatively inexpensive eeprom programmer to repair the existing chip on the mainboard board --- or --- (2) purchase preprogrammed 41G chip but requires desoldering/soldering skills that you seem to have such as in this link.

Other users seem to have more success with the preprogrammed chip.

Jack E/NJ

might be a stupid question, but what if i take the ssd off and install windows on it, then set it to duplicate displays and disable updates and then put it back in the laptop?
  • JackE
    >>>Another thing is that no external pheripherals such as keyboards, mice or phones(i just wanted to check for phones don't bully me) connected via usb get data. >>>

These comments related to the BIOS bother me more than the Windows GPU settings right now. But I think worth a try anyway. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Bol_
    JackE said:
    >>>Another thing is that no external pheripherals such as keyboards, mice or phones(i just wanted to check for phones don't bully me) connected via usb get data. >>>

These comments related to the BIOS bother me more than the Windows GPU settings right now. But I think worth a try anyway. Jack E/NJ 

Well that didn't work. Not even taking the ssd out of the laptop and plugging in a linux usb so the laptop is forced to boot to it doesn't work.