Acer Aspire A315-33-P40P (SATA 3 6/gbs)

Options

Answers

• sergeygg228
    sergeygg228 Member Posts: 25

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Have you tried DriverBooster freeware or similar device driver tools to see if they will pick up any updated drivers that might change this? It's still possible the Kingston is not identifying the SATA interface correctly.  Jack E/NJ
    Updated drivers via Driver Booster, nothing has changed. I threw another SSD- ADATA SU650 and put a new Windows on it, everything is the same. The problem is clearly at the software level of the laptop (BIOS).
  • sergeygg228

Tinkerer

edited October 2020
    Options
    I was able to open the BIOS and found these lines
    0x22897 Setting: SATA Interface Speed, Variable: 0x37 {05 91 75 00 76 00 0E 01 34 12 37 00 10 10 01 03 00}
    0x228A8 Option: Gen1, Value: 0x1 {09 07 77 00 00 00 01}
    0x228AF Option: Gen2, Value: 0x2 (default) {09 07 78 00 10 00 02}
    0x228B6 Option: Gen3, Value: 0x3 {09 07 79 00 00 00 03}
    0x228BD End of Options {29 02}

that is, by default, the operating mode is set to sata 2
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,575 Trailblazer
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I still think the budget SSDs are not detecting the bus correctly. All the info I find for this mainboard suggests the latest SATA iii capable interface. Benchmarking these SSDs against  the better Samsung drives suggests they have inferior speeds anyway. It might be due to the budget brands not having dram cache. If it was my laptop, I would like to see how an evo performed before attempting any BIOS modifications outside of the ACER-authorized versions and their potential hidden options revealed with the Ctrl+S toggle key combination.   Jack E/NJ

PS: I would not try to mod the BIOS other than to see what happens by pressing F9 and save settings with the SSD installed. The default might change.

Jack E/NJ

• sergeygg228

Tinkerer

edited October 2020
    Options
    JackE said:
    I still think the budget SSDs are not detecting the bus correctly. All the info I find for this mainboard suggests the latest SATA iii capable interface. Benchmarking these SSDs against  the better Samsung drives suggests they have inferior speeds anyway. It might be due to the budget brands not having dram cache. If it was my laptop, I would like to see how an evo performed before attempting any BIOS modifications outside of the ACER-authorized versions and their potential hidden options revealed with the Ctrl+S toggle key combination.   Jack E/NJ

PS: I would not try to mod the BIOS other than to see what happens by pressing F9 and save settings with the SSD installed. The default might change.

I took his Samsung 850 Evo from a friend for a while, everything is the same. The operating mode of SATA 2 (3Gb / s) is clearly preselected, and not SATA 3 (6 Gb / s).
    The Ctrl + S keys on all BIOS tabs do not produce any result, nothing appears.
  • JackE
    Options
    Let me see if I can get another ACEr user to suggest a BIOS update from another model that uses the same mainboard but with a factory installed 2.5" SSD in SATA iii mode.  It might be less risky than trying to mod the firmware yourself.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sergeygg228

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Let me see if I can get another ACEr user to suggest a BIOS update from another model that uses the same mainboard but with a factory installed 2.5" SSD in SATA iii mode.  It might be less risky than trying to mod the firmware yourself.  Jack E/NJ
    well, now I reset the BIOS settings with the installed SSD, unfortunately nothing has changed
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. I've asked other ACEr to take a look at this to see if there's a relatively safe way of changing the SATA-ii default to SATA-iii. Stay tuned. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sergeygg228

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    OK. I've asked other ACEr to take a look at this to see if there's a relatively safe way of changing the SATA-ii default to SATA-iii. Stay tuned. Jack E/NJ
    ok, i'm waiting.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    To eliminate any doubts, this model does have a sata 3 port, see:

I also don't recommend changing the bios. Try this first:
    a) press windows + r and type msconfig, go to system startup and activate safeboot.
    b) then, restart windows.
    c) go to the device manager, right click on the sata ahci ide / atapi controller. Then click on uninstall and delete:

The intel driver can interfere with the performance of the ssd.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • sergeygg228

Tinkerer

Options
    To eliminate any doubts, this model does have a sata 3 port, see:

I also don't recommend changing the bios. Try this first:
    a) press windows + r and type msconfig, go to system startup and activate safeboot.
    b) then, restart windows.
    c) go to the device manager, right click on the sata ahci ide / atapi controller. Then click on uninstall and delete:

The intel driver can interfere with the performance of the ssd.
    I removed the driver, installed the standard one from Microsoft, but everything is the same; (
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    try updating the bios by updating the driver firmware through the device manager.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • sergeygg228

Tinkerer

Options
    try updating the bios by updating the driver firmware through the device manager.
    All the same.
  • JackE
    Options
    Maybe try a hard BIOS reset? In RAM module compartment, short jumper clrp1 for a few seconds. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sergeygg228

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Maybe try a hard BIOS reset? In RAM module compartment, short jumper clrp1 for a few seconds. Jack E/NJ
    I would love to give it a try, but unfortunately my model only has 1 memory slot, so the manufacturer decided not to make a compartment.
  • JackE
    Options
    This is not visible? You may have to remove sodimm Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sergeygg228

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    This is not visible? You may have to remove sodimm Jack E/NJ

I don't have a quick access compartment to RAM, only to HDD, and I don't want to disassemble the laptop completely.
  • JackE
    Options
    You don't have to disassemble completely. Remove 18 screws from the bottom cover and pry it off with your fingernails or plastic card. The battery can probably stay (2 screws hold it in place) though I'd unplug ts connector from the mainboard just to be safe. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sergeygg228

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    You don't have to disassemble completely. Remove 18 screws from the bottom cover and pry it off with your fingernails or plastic card. The battery can probably stay (2 screws hold it in place) though I'd unplug ts connector from the mainboard just to be safe. Jack E/NJ

There is no other way? There is no certainty that resetting the BIOS will help.
  • JackE
    Options
    If the machine is still under warranty, ACER should change the BIOS default speed to SATA-iii.  I can't understand why a SATA-ii default was used anyway unless the regional factory also anticipated using older SATA-ii only compatible HDDs in some machines to save production costs. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sergeygg228

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    If the machine is still under warranty, ACER should change the BIOS default speed to SATA-iii.  I can't understand why a SATA-ii default was used anyway unless the regional factory also anticipated using older SATA-ii only compatible HDDs in some machines to save production costs. Jack E/NJ
    The warranty has expired six months ago. I just don't want to completely disassemble the laptop, since it's not a fact that this will help.