Acer Aspire A315-33-P40P (SATA 3 6/gbs)

sergeygg228
sergeygg228 Member Posts: 25

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Good afternoon! I replaced the hard drive in the laptop with an SSD, but it works at a speed of SATA 2 (3 Gb / s), tell me how to turn on the SATA 3 mode (6 Gb / s), I did not find anything in BIOS

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    As mentioned earlier, contact your regional ACER service center by letter, email or phone and simply ask how or if you can take full advantage of a SATA-iii SSD with the BIOS that seems to be locked in a SATA-ii default mode. It is possible there may be other technical reasons that the bus seems to be limited SATA-ii speeds. It may simply be that all the other system components besides the mechanical drive used in this laptop manufactured for your region were not tested for reliability at SATA-iii. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Please post a screenshot of the software you're using to measure the speed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sergeygg228

Tinkerer

I use the CrystalDiskInfo program, it shows that the SATA 2 (3 Gb / s) mode is used, and the CrystalDiskMark program shows a speed not higher than 260-270 mb / s, when on another computer 450-500 mb / s
  • sergeygg228

Tinkerer

help plz me
  • JackE
    What freeware did you use to clone/migrate from the old drive? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sergeygg228

Tinkerer

I didn't use anything like this, just installed a new Windows with drivers from the acer website on the ssd
    JackE said:
    What freeware did you use to clone/migrate from the old drive? Jack E/NJ
  • JackE
    Please show a phoneshot of both the BIOS Information and Boot tabs if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sergeygg228

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Please show a phoneshot of both the BIOS Information and Boot tabs if possible. Jack E/NJ
    Unfortunately, there is no way to attach screenshots, but I can say that there is nothing related to SATA
  • JackE
    I was hoping you could post phoneshots, not screenshots. In the BIOS Information tab, there should be a SATA mode description similar to that shown below. If you don't see it, try to make it visible by pressing Ctrl+S. You should  be able to change the mode in the advanced tab also by pressing Ctrl+S if needed. I'd also like to know what the Boot tab looks like particularly the UEFI and security mode settings. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sergeygg228

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    I was hoping you could post phoneshots, not screenshots. In the BIOS Information tab, there should be a SATA mode description similar to that shown below. If you don't see it, try to make it visible by pressing Ctrl+S. You should  be able to change the mode in the advanced tab also by pressing Ctrl+S if needed. I'd also like to know what the Boot tab looks like particularly the UEFI and security mode settings. Jack E/NJ

Yes, SATA MODE: AHCI is indicated on the BIOS tab. There is no Advanced tab, Secire Boot is locked on the boot tab until the superuser password is entered. There is an opportunity to turn off Secure Boot, but there is a boot fashion, but there is only UEFI.
  • JackE
    What was the HDD brand and model number that you replaced? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sergeygg228

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    What was the HDD brand and model number that you replaced? Jack E/NJ
    toshiba 500gb, 5400rpm on ssd kingston a400 480gb
  • JackE
    Was old HDD TOSHIBA model number MQ01ABF050? Jack E/NJ

Do you have crystal disk results for old Toshiba in your system? Here are what SATA3 results for old Toshiba should look like. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sergeygg228

Tinkerer

Yes, and gave out about the same speeds. But CrystalDiskInfo also wrote that the disk works on SATA 2, although it supports the SATA 3 mode, although there would clearly not be any sense from the hard SATA 3.
  • JackE
    Did you also update the BIOS firmware? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sergeygg228

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Did you also update the BIOS firmware? Jack E/NJ
    Yes, the last available version is 1.09.
  • JackE
    I think the Kingston is erroneously detecting a SATA II bus like in this link. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/ssd-running-at-sata-2-speeds-solved.2607305/    The user's solution was a Samsung EVO. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sergeygg228

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    I think the Kingston is erroneously detecting a SATA II bus like in this link. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/ssd-running-at-sata-2-speeds-solved.2607305/    The user's solution was a Samsung EVO. Jack E/NJ

On the other computer, everything is fine, now when the BIOS was logged into an interesting thing - hidden settings were opened, where I could find the parameter: SATA Interface Speed whose value was = Gen 2(SATA 2 3gb/s) and the following values were available: Gen 1(SATA 1.5gb /s), Gen 3 (SATA 3 6gb /s). This is probably the case, but I could not reopen this menu. Most likely, the manufacturer decided that since the laptop has a hard drive, then it does not need the operating mode of SATA 3, because SATA 2 is enough.
  • JackE
    Yes, but did you try Ctrl+S in the BIOS to reveal hidden settings earlier? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sergeygg228

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Yes, but did you try Ctrl+S in the BIOS to reveal hidden settings earlier? Jack E/NJ
    Tried in all tabs - but nothing appeared.
  • JackE
    Have you tried DriverBooster freeware or similar device driver tools to see if they will pick up any updated drivers that might change this? It's still possible the Kingston is not identifying the SATA interface correctly.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ