acer aspire 3 a315-55g-51s3 not performing as i expected

Options
13»

Answers

• Willinoy
    Willinoy Member Posts: 37

Tinkerer

Options
    I just want to know if it's throttling so i can consider buying a cooling pad, cuz sometimes i got this drop when temps are around 70, and it worked fine before on smth around 90
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,571 Trailblazer
    Options
    How long ago did it work fine before? A month? A few months? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Willinoy

Tinkerer

Options
    it's a 1 month old laptop, i was trying to optimise the game until as i told u it worked fine but then i had to restart every time i did a shut down. i was doing fine today but the speed dropped by the end of the day to 1.6, could it be cuz of overusing it?
  • JackE
    Options
    Open ControlPanel.  Search 'restore point' Click 'create a restore point'. In the box that pops up, is System Protection turned on? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Willinoy

Tinkerer

Options
    off for the HDD and on for the SSD
  • JackE
    Options
    Assuming the SSD is still the boot drive, click on its System Restore button. Click next. Do you see any restore points with date stamps in the last month that approximately coincide when thing changed? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Willinoy

Tinkerer

Options
    it's on 4th of november, i think i had the problem much earlier than this.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>i have noticed that my fps in game drops when it starts fairly high a couple of minutes into the game, so like it starts at 150 and after few minutes it drops to 90>>>

This is from your first post. Has the system significantly degraded from this in the last month? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Willinoy

Tinkerer

Options
    I will try to summarise my issue again. I bought this laptop about a month ago, on the first day i noticed it got fairly warm when i started playing the game and then i realised it's the temperature of the cpu cores when i get the machine powered up is always around 50. when i play it's around 80, i felt like it wasnt performing well so i tried multiple things like changing power plan, updating bios until finally at some point i got the performance i demanded and it was fine until i shut down the laptop and came to realise it wasn't the same as i left it, but as i monitored my cpu performance from task manager and it was around 4 ghz clock speed and then it drops to 1,6 ghz, which isnt acceptable cuz i think it should be working at maximum load, and the fan go like crazy so it should be doing the job. my battery also gets consumed so fast, in like less than 2 hours, i lose about 1% in 1 min, i don't why it feels like it's doing some task always that's negatively impacting it like that. seems like there is smth weird with it for real.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>> my battery also gets consumed so fast>>>

You can't heavily load the machine up like this without the charger being plugged in. For maximum  game time, the battery must be near 100% charged and plugged in BEFORE starting heavy loads. Even then, when the battery drops below about 50% charge level, the CPU/GPU load is automatically reduced so the battery can start charging again. I think maybe you should've gotten a desktop that have much bigger power supplies to handle these types of power loads, Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Willinoy

Tinkerer

Options
    I meant this is like another issue that I'm not happy with; the battery getting drained so fast. But i never played on the laptop battery, i always played plugged in and at 100%. i just don't know why the processor speed drop randomly, from 4 to 1.6, without changing anything.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>  i just don't know why the processor speed drop randomly, from 4 to 1.6, without changing anything. >>>

When this happens, immediately check  battery percent charge level. Battery may complementing the charger's power output. Thus NOT charging. In other words, the battery is discharging even though plugged in when it's complementing the charger's power output. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Willinoy

Tinkerer

Options
    i checked, it doesn't go below 100% at all
  • JackE
    Options
    If throttling happens at 100% plugged in, then immediately check the CPU/GPU temperature. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Willinoy

Tinkerer

Options
    always around 80 c as i mentioned before
  • Willinoy

Tinkerer

Options
    80-90 cpu, gpu slightly lower

• JackE
    Options
    >>> I bought this acer laptop about a week ago, i only used it for browsing so far and playing a single game which is league of legends,>>>so if there is [something] i misunderstood or if the laptop could be faulty so i could return it back, thanks in advance

Sorry. I know you don't want to read/hear this. Please understand that the Aspire3/5/7 series do not have the power handling capability of 350-500watt desktops or even 135watt gaming laptops with bigger batteries, cooling fans & case enclosures. There are trade-offs when using the smaller Aspire laptops under high power gaming demands. So, no, I don't think your  laptop is faulty. However, as mentioned earlier, I think that you should've returned it to the seller/vendor ASAP as not meeting your use expectations and exchange it for a more powerful desktop or gaming laptop system. Since it's now been more than a month since you bought the laptop, it's probably too late due to the vendor's returns policy but you could still ask the vendor/seller if they'd be willing to exchange it.  Jack E/NJ.

Jack E/NJ

• Willinoy

Tinkerer

Options
    I totally understand this. I was just wondering if that's how far it could go, like as i told u sometimes i played with optimal performance and sometimes not when the speed of the processor dropped, so would a cooling pad fix the issue or how can i handle such situation like this or should i just accept the fact that it should drop sometimes?

Also another question, i have been hearing a sound from the HDD like the one i hear when i start booting, but i hear it frequently while using the laptop, is it supposed to mean anything?
  • JackE
    Options
    You might be able to force the system to maintain higher frequencies for longer periods with throttlestop freeware. I don't use it myself since it can cause undesireable side effects. Google 'throttlestop' 'acer' 'community' for the experience ACER users others have had with throttlestop. @xapim / @Red-Sand posted some guidelines. There are many tweaks that can be tried to improve your gaming experience.

Mechanical HDDs usually make distinct rapid clicking noises when the stylus electromagnetic head arm moves across the spinning platter to read & write the magnetic bits on the platter. Very similar to how a phonograph needle stylus arm moves across a spinning platter to read or record the cuts made on the vinyl plastic from the stylus needle's sound vibrations.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ