acer aspire 3 a315-55g-51s3 not performing as i expected

Options

Answers

• Willinoy
    Willinoy Member Posts: 37

Tinkerer

Options
    today i had normal fps when i first run the game but after 3 mins into the game it dropped
  • Willinoy

Tinkerer

Options
    i just wonder how changing any power plans or nividia settings doesn't make any difference, like maximum performance plan is just the same as the battery saving plan, i don't get it
  • Willinoy

Tinkerer

Options
    UserBenchmarks: Game 10%, Desk 54%, Work 8%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-10210U - 50.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce MX230 - 11%
    SSD: WDC PC SN520 SDAPNUW-256G-1014 256GB - 134.4%
    HDD: Seagate ST1000LM035-1RK172 1TB - 71.8%
    RAM: Hynix HMA81GS6AFR8N-UH 1x8GB - 36.6%
    MBD: Acer Aspire A315-55G

user benchmark test results
  • Willinoy

Tinkerer

Options
    UserBenchmarks: Game 12%, Desk 78%, Work 10%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-10210U - 67.6%
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce MX230 - 10.8%
    SSD: WDC PC SN520 SDAPNUW-256G-1014 256GB - 176%
    HDD: Seagate ST1000LM035-1RK172 1TB - 72%
    RAM: Hynix HMA81GS6AFR8N-UH 1x8GB - 40.3%
    MBD: Acer Aspire A315-55G
     results when i restarted the laptop
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,574 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>>>>now my fps stayed high for about 1 game and dropped in the second, even without any shutdowns>>>

You must monitor speed & temp DURING the games, when FPS  is high and when FPS is low.  Also must know if the first game played is the same as the second game played. Different games might not use the CPU/GPU full potential but HWMonitor must be looked at DURING the game playing. Based on what you've posted so far,  I really don't think your laptop has a hardware problem at all. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Willinoy

Tinkerer

Options
    Sorrry if I didn't explain anything correctly, I was only testing this on a single game, league of legends. Sometimes I get the high fps and sometimes not, restart fixes the issue and sometimes not too. My temperature while playing can go as high as 90, but usually fluctuates between 80-90 and my temperature when i start the laptop is around 50.
  • Willinoy

Tinkerer

Options
    So i think i noticed the problem, i was monitoring processor speed at task manager when i first started the laptop, it's always around 4ghz, it stayed like that while playing the game and then suddenly dropped to 1.6 ghz, which impacted the game, it's written that the base speed is 2.11 ghz and there is also 1.6 ghz at the top of the window as u can see, im not sure how these speeds work. u will see it's around 4 now again, but im not using the game now
  • rich1974
    rich1974 Member Posts: 198 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    edited October 2020
    Options
    there are two scenarios.
    one is that the laptop goes into a thermal throttling when it hit a certain temperature.
    the other one is: the laptop has some kind of hidden bios setting witch limits the time of maximum performance to a certain value.  the so called "rapid task".  on the side of ryzen processor, it is called ppt fast, ppt slow and stapm.

this is from another forum:

this is the explanation of the terms.
    1. AMD's boosting mechanism has three parts:

• Fast PPT limit (fPPT) - a short time limit in which the CPU is given quite a higher power budget. fPPT can actually be set higher than a chip might atually need to reach maximum boost on all cores, for example a 4500U won't surpass 40W at any point.

• Slow PPT limit (sPPT) - this is a much longer time limit where the CPU is given a higher power budget from TDP. The official recommended time for sPPT is 275 seconds.

• Sustained power limit (STAPM) - the sustained power limit for extended periods of time. This value is set to TDP, and is the equivalent of PL1 in Intel systems.

If at any point thermal constraints are met, frequency will drop to meet thermal limits instead.

• Willinoy

Tinkerer

Options
    so is it called rapid task in intel? i haven't noticed any performance related setting in my bios when i checked. Maybe it's throttling but is that normal for a new laptop? and im not sure but sometimes the game worked super fine and the temperature was about 90, much lower than the testing done now around 70
  • rich1974
    Options
    it is perfect normal, regular laptops are not meant to work at max load for a long time due to the thermal restriction.
    on the other hand, gaming laptops have a much bigger and efficient cooling system.
    they have processors with H letter, not U, that means that they can work on higher tdp for a long time.
  • Willinoy

Tinkerer

edited October 2020
    Options
    thanks for ur reply, but i was wondering if there was a way to maintain a high speed, at least higher than 1.6 while playing, i just don't think its normal when it happens randomly, like sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. i mean i can play now at high fps and maybe after 2 hours not, especially if i shutdown my device
  • rich1974
    Options
    are you having only one fan?
    my guess is that it can't have the cpu and the gpu full loaded in the same time.  i think it prioritize the GPU.
    you can have a test: install furmark and run a gpu and a cpu stress in the same time.
    my ryzen 2200u apu has this feature: while i stress the gpu side of apu, the cpu goes tu 1.5 ghz. if i stress both in the same time, the cpu stays at 1.6.
  • Willinoy

Tinkerer

Options
    how can i run a test for both at the same time?
  • rich1974
    Options
    install furmark, open task manager, open furmark and run cpu burner and gpu stress test for 1-2 minutes. watch the task manager and see what is going on.
  • Willinoy

Tinkerer

Options
    so i tried, both cpu and gpu went to 100% and my speed was 2.4 ghz stable, much better than this 1.6
  • Willinoy

Tinkerer

edited October 2020
    Options
    Now that the test stopped it's currently 1.6 ;(
    edit: back to 4 now
    i rly don't get why it forces itself then into 1.6 while im playing?
    when i think league of legends isn't demanding at all, both cpu and gpu never exceed 60% while playing

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,574 Trailblazer
    Options
    Willinoy   >>>I bought this acer laptop about a week ago>>>

As mentioned earlier, this is NOT considered a gaming laptop. You are obviously not happy with its performance. If possible, I think you should try to return the machine to the vendor/seller as not meeting your needs for a refund or exchange on either a gaming laptop like a predator or nitro series or a desktop that can better handle the heat loads and have fewer BIOS limitations on CPU/GPU power consumption. You should do this ASAP before the vendors returns policy expires, usually only a few weeks. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rich1974
    Options
    Willinoy said:
    so i tried, both cpu and gpu went to 100% and my speed was 2.4 ghz stable, much better than this 1.6

now, it stays at 2.4....but how long?  2-3-4 minutes?
  • Willinoy

Tinkerer

edited October 2020
    Options
    rich1974 said:
    Willinoy said:

now, it stays at 2.4....but how long?  2-3-4 minutes?
    It stayed like this until i stopped the test, and then mins after it dropped, maybe 2 mins
  • Willinoy

Tinkerer

Options
    As mentioned earlier, this is NOT considered a gaming laptop. You are obviously not happy with its performance. If possible, I think you should try to return the machine to the vendor/seller as not meeting your needs for a refund or exchange on either a gaming laptop like a predator or nitro series or a desktop that can better handle the heat loads and have fewer BIOS limitations on CPU/GPU power consumption. You should do this ASAP before the vendors returns policy expires, usually only a few weeks. Jack E/NJ

I can't afford getting a laptop with higher specs, ik the laptop isnt a gaming one but i bought it just mainly for studying and playing this 1 game, what is making unsatisfied is the fact that i had a previous laptop with slightly lower specs and it performed better in the game, ofc overall this is a better machine, but i haven't been experiencing this cpu speed drops before. thanks for ur understanding