acer aspire 3 a315-55g-51s3 not performing as i expected

Willinoy
Willinoy Member Posts: 37

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
hello, I bought this acer laptop about a week ago, i only used it for browsing so far and playing a single game which is league of legends, i have noticed that my laptop gets fairly warm when i start it and the temperatures get fairly high, motherboard temperature of about 50, and then it increases especially when i play that game it reaches 80-85 C, also i have noticed that my fps in game drops when it starts fairly high a couple of minutes into the game, so like it starts at 150 and after few minutes it drops to 90, i don't feel like it's performing the way i thought it would be, so if there is smth i misunderstood or if the laptop could be faulty so i could return it back, thanks in advance

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Your laptop is not considered a gaming laptop but seems to be performing very well considering the 90 FPS you're reporting at 85*C. It's definitely not faulty but perhaps not a predator class gaming laptop that you were expecting. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Willinoy

Tinkerer

I understand that but i was wondering if there could be a way to maintain fps at a certain level without dropping, is cooling here an option? Ik it's not gaming but as game progresses i drop below 60 and then the fps stays around 60 for whole game without being able to climb back to 80 or smth, could this be a cooling problem?
  • Willinoy

Tinkerer

and i tried adjusting my nividia settings to maximum peformance but they don't seem to make any difference, just like the default one, i had a hp notebook before that with slightly lower specs but managed to maintain stable fps above 80 throughout multiple games, would love any solution, thanks

• JackE
    ControlPanel power plan should be set to performance mode, battery near 100% charged and plugged in BEFORE starting heavy gaming load for maximum play time at high FPS. If power demands exceed the charger's maximum power output, the battery starts to drain to complement the charger output. When battery drops to about the 50% charge level, throttling behavior may automatically kick in to reduce power so battery can start charging again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Willinoy

Tinkerer

can you tell me which setting i should adjust in control panel, i have tried changing all of them but nothing seems to do any improvement, also my battery always stays on 100%, never drops below that, i don't know if there is something im missing
  • JackE
    Open Control Panel. Search 'power plan'. Click 'choose a power plan' in left pane. What is your current power plan that's shown? Balanced, power saver, or performance? You want performance or max performance. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Willinoy

Tinkerer

i would like to have the highest possible fps so max performance, im currently using the balanced plan but i tried to change settings inside it, but i rly don't know what option should make a difference from these, here is the options there
  • JackE
    Try clicking on the processor power management folder. You can set cpu max power state to 100% on battery and plugged in. If still not happy, then change balanced plan to maximum performance plan. You may have to click a button to show hidden performance plan. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Willinoy

Tinkerer

everything seemed to be working much better but i had to adjust processor rate to be 100% both at minimum and maximum, i don't know if that can threaten the life of the laptop or the internal components, the temperature has been around 80 since i started playing
  • JackE
    Congrats. You're fine. Anything below about 94*C is normal for these laptops under heavy power loads. 80-85*C isn't even close to pushing the limits. The machine automatically shuts down if temperatures approach 100*C. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Willinoy

Tinkerer

thanks for ur help so far, but i just noticed also when i shut down the laptop for a while and log in to play i get the low fps again, and then i have to restart the laptop for everything to be fixed, what could this be? and thanks for ur info once again

• JackE
    What do you mean by shutdown for a while and log in to play? Did you actually shutdown or simply log out of low power load activities for a while? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Willinoy

Tinkerer

edited October 2020
    Like i mean after finishing playing i shut down the laptop for a while and when i come back to turn it on and play i experience the low fps and the only fix that worked was restartting the laptop, so an actual shutdown to the device, no settings changed
  • JackE
    Check again to make sure power plan processor states are how you left them. Then open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable' Scroll down and uncheck the fast startup option. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Willinoy

Tinkerer

Hello, after testing this out for a long time, i realised that my fps drops on every time i start my laptop after shutting it down for a while, and a restart fixes the issue, but then after that it may take more restarts, i rly don't know what is the problem, my laptop is pretty new for this to happen

• JackE
    >>>my fps drops on every time i start my laptop after shutting it down for a while, and a restart fixes the issue, but then after that it may take more restarts>>>

You said "every time" a restart fixes the issue. But then you say "it may take more restarts". So does a restart fix it every time or NOT every time? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Willinoy

Tinkerer

edited October 2020
    it was like that in the beginning, but then sometimes i needed to do more restarts, and now my fps stayed high for about 1 game and dropped in the second, even without any shutdowns

• Willinoy

Tinkerer

now restarts don't do any good
  • JackE
    >>>now my fps stayed high for about 1 game and dropped in the second, even without any shutdowns>>>

What was temperature AND  battery charge percentage when the frequency dropped? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Willinoy

Tinkerer

the battery is 100% but when i unplug it drops to 97% and here is the report of temperatures