2020 Acer Predator Helios 300: Audio Issues PH315-53

Options

Answers

• Piglus
    Piglus Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    edited January 2021
    Options
    This might be known already but I just got a wireless gaming headset and it doesn't reproduce the noise even with the nvidia hd audio driver enabled. So whatever is causing the problem is exclusive to the headphone jack and the nvidia driver (at least for me).
  • ZonDe19
    ZonDe19 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Piglus said:
    This might be known already but I just got a wireless gaming headset and it doesn't reproduce the noise even with the nvidia hd audio driver enabled. So whatever is causing the problem is exclusive to the headphone jack and the nvidia driver (at least for me).
    Yea It's always been a problem with the wired headphones,We just dunno if it's a software issue or a hardware design flaw.Thanks for the Dts link btw

• Afshin_8848
    Afshin_8848 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi,

I had the same problem with my device. I tried to solve it with keeping the Nvidia GPU running but that consumed a lot of energy.

I found out that the audio driver is from intel so I replaced it with the Realtek driver which was available on the product page and it worked.

Noise is completely gone now.

• Akagami029
    Akagami029 Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi,

I had the same problem with my device. I tried to solve it with keeping the Nvidia GPU running but that consumed a lot of energy.

I found out that the audio driver is from intel so I replaced it with the Realtek driver which was available on the product page and it worked.

Noise is completely gone now.

Would you mind giving a step by step? My laptop has both realtek and intel driver installed, so I'm confused.
  • predhelios
    predhelios Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Piglus said:
    Seems like @pr@Prashant1972 solved the problem by "uninstalling nvidia hd audio and realtek audio console" in [this](https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/611080/acer-predator-2020-ph315-53-static-continuous-beep-sound#latest) thread.

I did this and it it seems to have fixed the problem, at least it hasn't occurred again for the past few days. Windows kept reinstalling the nvidia hd audio driver so I had to disable it in device manager. The other nvidia one in there I didn't touch so it seems only the hd one is the culprit.

And I don't know if it was related but sometime after I noticed my licenses for the dts x were missing. If that also happens to you then there is another thread with steps to restore them.

Well well. Seems like the culprit is `nvidia high definition audio`? This worked for me:

For my own reference:
    I tried to disable `nvidia high definition audio` and the high pitched ringing noise from the wired headphones went away for 2 seconds before returning with a vengeance. I disabled `intel(r) display audio` and `NVIDIA virtual audio device` too just to check but the high pitched noise continued. I then re-enabled first `intel(r) display audio` then `nvidia virtual audio device` and no change in high pitched ringing noise. I finally re-enabled `nvidia high definition audio` and it seemed to get rid of the high pitched noise completely.

You can try:
    Go to windows search and open device manager. Find `Sound, Video and Game Controllers` and open the drop down menu. Within it find `NVIDIA High Definition Audio` and disable it. Wait for 10 seconds. Then re-enable this and check if the problem of high pitched ringing noise is gone!
  • Akagami029
    Options
    Piglus said:
    Seems like @pr@Prashant1972 solved the problem by "uninstalling nvidia hd audio and realtek audio console" in [this](https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/611080/acer-predator-2020-ph315-53-static-continuous-beep-sound#latest) thread.

I did this and it it seems to have fixed the problem, at least it hasn't occurred again for the past few days. Windows kept reinstalling the nvidia hd audio driver so I had to disable it in device manager. The other nvidia one in there I didn't touch so it seems only the hd one is the culprit.

And I don't know if it was related but sometime after I noticed my licenses for the dts x were missing. If that also happens to you then there is another thread with steps to restore them.

Well well. Seems like the culprit is `nvidia high definition audio`? This worked for me:

For my own reference:
    I tried to disable `nvidia high definition audio` and the high pitched ringing noise from the wired headphones went away for 2 seconds before returning with a vengeance. I disabled `intel(r) display audio` and `NVIDIA virtual audio device` too just to check but the high pitched noise continued. I then re-enabled first `intel(r) display audio` then `nvidia virtual audio device` and no change in high pitched ringing noise. I finally re-enabled `nvidia high definition audio` and it seemed to get rid of the high pitched noise completely.

You can try:
    Go to windows search and open device manager. Find `Sound, Video and Game Controllers` and open the drop down menu. Within it find `NVIDIA High Definition Audio` and disable it. Wait for 10 seconds. Then re-enable this and check if the problem of high pitched ringing noise is gone!
    This works, but drains battery very fast. I was getting less than 2hours on battery using this solution.
  • ZonDe19
    Options
    A bit off topic
    How have you guys controlled temps while gaming 
    My CPU temps reach upto like 96 degrees C, At which point it thermal throttles 
    I wanted to revert the BIOS to unlock undervolting but then I found out that undervolting had a security leak or something like that, And disabling turbo is fine limits CPU temps to 70 - 75 but also takes a hit to performance (like 40 - 49 fps According to Rivatuner atleast)and before someone says Intel cpus are supposed to run hot and that it's fine, Thats not really my worry here, I am more worried about the stuff surrounding the CPU (Motherboard ram etc etc). Is there any thread or workaround that you guys know of ? 
    All Input's appreciated
  • predhelios
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Piglus said:

For my own reference:

You can try:
    This works, but drains battery very fast. I was getting less than 2hours on battery using this solution.

This is so weird. I confirm that stopping nvidia virtual audio device and then enabling it fixed the headphone whine noise. But yes, battery shows 1 hour 40 minutes on full charge now. No idea what's going on...
  • ZonDe19
    Options

This is so weird. I confirm that stopping nvidia virtual audio device and then enabling it fixed the headphone whine noise. But yes, battery shows 1 hour 40 minutes on full charge now. No idea what's going on...
    Maybe that driver was some kinda optimization driver ? 

• corvusthegenius
    corvusthegenius Member Posts: 40 Troubleshooter
    Options
    taznkid said:
    Hello,

I recently purchased the above laptop. I am well satisfied in all aspects but one: when I connect a device to the audio jack, there is this constant high pitch whining sound. It is alright for a short moment after I plug in my headset, but after that the sound constantly persists. I am fairly certain it is a software issue (if I mute my laptop, the sound goes away, and though it is difficult to tell, I am fairly certain the intensity of the sound is influenced by the volume setting). I have checked that my drivers are up to date. Any fixes, or even a workaround solution, would be much appreciated.
    Hello fellow predator helios brothers, just wanna let you guys know that I myself experienced the same issue. I just bought this laptop four days ago (PH315-53-77CF, for those who want to know). The fix for the sound issues (no sound and high pitch sound) for both speaker and headphone are just by disabling the audio enhancement.
    Just go to control panel >sound>headphones>properties>advanced (for speaker) and control panel >sound>speakers>properties>advanced (for speaker)
    Hopefully this help and goodluck! Cheers!

hey u r Malaysian right? what is ur panel on device manager? is it CMN1521 like mine? the laptop is listed as 72% NTSC, yet acer Malaysia scammed us by giving bad panel..
  • predhelios
    Options
    Piglus said:

For my own reference:

You can try:

This is so weird. Has anyone double checked this solution and has any suggestions as to how to fix the new battery issue? What is the nvidia virtual audio device used for?
  • Piglus
    Piglus Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    Options
    This is so weird. Has anyone double checked this solution and has any suggestions as to how to fix the new battery issue? What is the nvidia virtual audio device used for?
    Nvidia audio is for hdmi connection. As far as I know there's no fix for the battery drain other than re-enabling it but then you'd have to put up with the audio issue again unless you use a usb or wireless connection.
  • ZonDe19
    edited March 2021
    Options
    If running the GPU affects battery life lesser than the HD audio driver does, we may have to stick to that till something else is discovered, 
    But i guess we know this much for certain, the problem is something related to Nvidia's stuff (GPU , Driver so far) Or at least something that's clashing with the Nvidia stuff
  • TANTANTAN
    TANTANTAN Member Posts: 55 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hi, any update for the case ? Disable the nvidia driver from device manager seems resolve but the laptop only last for an hour and 30 min after interfere with that driver. From hwinfo sensor, the battery drain at 35+-W even at idle...
  • TANTANTAN
    Options
    hello guys, any new update ?? Has been suffering for so many months for that issue.
  • Akagami029
    Options
    Unfortunately no. I have just settled for a wireless headphone. 
  • TANTANTAN
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Install the VGA Utility (nView) version : 3.20.4.14  driver from acer website https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/8376?b=1  seems to fix the noise @Akagami029
  • Akagami029
    Options
    It only tried to install graphics driver... and didn't because I had a more recent version. No effect on the sound.
    @TANTANTAN

• TANTANTAN
    edited March 2021
    Options
    You need to go advanced/custom option during installation and deselect all the other drivers (only graphics driver is ticked) and tick the perform clean installation. The noise is gone in my laptop, I have already tested for few days. @Akagami029  
  • TANTANTAN
    Options
    Download this installation file : VGA Driver (N18E-G1B) Version: 27.21.14.5167 for rtx2060 model from acer driver page and do the above steps. :)@Akagami029