Aspire SW5-011 - turned on, will not boot.

Options

Answers

• Jjet73
    Jjet73 Member Posts: 32

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you for your assistance so far, if you have any other suggestions, I would be grateful to give them a try.  Regards
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,557 Trailblazer
    Options
    Sorry. For some reason, this didn't post yesterday. Try this.
    OK. Go back to the DISKPART> prompt. Then enter the following commands.
    (1) select volume 2
    (2) assign letter=Y:
    (3) exit

You should now be back to the X: \windows\system32>_ prompt. At this prompt enter the following commands.
    (1) Y: (You should now be at the Y: \> prompt.) At the Y: \> prompt enter the following commands)
    (2) cd \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
    (3) bootrec /fixboot
    (4) ren BCD BCD.backup
    (5) bcdboot c:\windows /l en-us /s Y: /f ALL
    (5) exit

Shut machine off. Remove the USB stick. Cross your fingers. Turn the machine back on.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jjet73

Tinkerer

Options
    Started the process you listed, ok to get Y: but failed on trying cd\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\ response is "The system cannot find the path specified." Tried two ways same result.

• JackE
    Options
    At the Y:\>_ prompt, enter 'dir /a/s'

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jjet73

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks, tried those instructions but no go:

• JackE
    Options
    Just enter 'dir *.*'

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jjet73

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks.  Tried with no success: (had a typo and tried different spacing)

• JackE
    Options
    There's a space between the 'dir' and '*.*'  .  So 'dir  *.*' . Not 'dir*.*'  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jjet73

Tinkerer

Options
    Yes sir, I tried that also in the screen shot above, "dir *.*" with the result shown:
    Volume in Drive Y is SYSTEM
    Volume Serial Number is 4009-C222

Directory of Y:\

File Not Found

• JackE
    Options
    Yes. I think you did the 'dir *.*' correctly the first time. It shows the Y: directory is empty. The BIOS needs this Y: directory to have a subdirectory Y:\EFI\Micosoft\Boot. Somehow this subdirectory was removed/deleted and explains why the system won't boot. So I have to ask, did this no-boot happen suddenly for no apparent reason? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jjet73

Tinkerer

Options
    The last thing I recall doing several weeks back was to turn it on, run Win update and then shut it down.  When I then tried to start it up in the last week, wouldn't go, finally was able to access the recovery USB but as noted before that didn't work either.
  • JackE
    Options
    At this point, I think the only practical option left is to re-install Win10 from a USB stick using Microsoft's USB media creation tool at this link.  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10.
    Hopefully this Win10 USB installation stick may detect that the C: partition is still intact and simply add the missing directory and files back on to the empty Y: partition. 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jjet73

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you for the re-install information.  Just so I am clear, this would involve creating the USB drive on another PC and then using it on the Acer...is that correct?
  • Jjet73

Tinkerer

Options
    I think I have answered my own question about creating the USB from another PC.  Do you know if I will need a product key for the re-install???
  • Jjet73

Tinkerer

Options
    I again answered my own question.  Installation proceeding.  Thank you for your very able assistance and patience.  Well Done !!
  • JackE
    Options
    Your original Win8x OEM license is embedded on your mainboard and should already be accepted by Win10. Let us know if it goes OK. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jjet73

Tinkerer

Options
    The install went ok but now have lost the sound/audio output device....Win Settings says "No output devices found".....any suggestions?
  • JackE
    Options
    Have you shut down Windows normally yet? Then re-started? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jjet73

Tinkerer

Options
    Windows installed and ran ok....noticed the speaker icon had a red x, went to Settings and ran diagnostics.  Shut down PC, restarted....speaker icon still had red x.  Tried settings diagnostics with same result.  Went to Control Panel, says no audio device installed or similar language.  Did another SD and start, speaker icon still has red x.  Settings - Sound....also says "No input devices found".  
  • JackE
    Options

Double click on the zip file to decompress it. Then double click to run the setup.exe file to see if the redX goes away. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ