Aspire SW5-011 - turned on, will not boot.

Jjet73
Jjet73 Member Posts: 32

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Inserted recovery USB (created Nov2019, Win 10).  Initially the messages before the USB was used were "encountered error" and now get Acer Logo and the message & icon: No Bootable Device.  After USB - able to get to menu, goes thru the reset but at the end, says there is an error and nothing was changed. Able to get into 5.0 SetupUtility, Secure boot is enabled, boot priority is USB HDD: Generic USB storage; Network boot; USB CDROM.  Tried the recovery USB several times with both recovery options, same result.

Best Answer

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Press and hold powerr button till machine completely shuts off. Remove the USB drive. Remove the charger. Press and hold a paperclip into the battery reset pinhole on the bottom of the laptop. While still holding the paperclip in, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Then plug the charger back in. Then try to turn the machine on again. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Jjet73

Tinkerer

Thank you for the response. Followed your suggestion.  Plugged in charger cord & turned it on, Acer logon Icon and then "No bootable Disk" message; tried the entire process again without plugging in power cord, same result; did it again w/o power cord and started it w/ USB - it tried to recover (as it has done before, takes a while), got the same message as before: "There was a problem resetting your PC.  No changes were made."   
  • JackE
    Shut the machine off again. Then press and hold the F2 key. Then turn the machine on again. The BIOS menu should appear. In the BIOS MAIN tab, does the eMMC drive show up? In the BOOT tab, does the Windows boot manager and/or eMMC drive show up?

Jack E/NJ

• Jjet73

Tinkerer

Thank you again for your response.  The Main page has:  System Time; System Date; F12 Boot Menu - User could choose if to display 'Press' <F12> to display Boot Menu' during POST. [Disabled}; D2D Recovery: To d Acer disc-to-disc system recovery via Power + Windows key during POST.[Enabled] I do not see eMMC drive.  In the Boot menu page:  USB HDD: is #1, Network Boot -IPV4: is #2, USB CDROM: is #3.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Is there a chance you changed the boot mode from UEFI or Legacy? That will also give that error message.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jjet73

Tinkerer

No, I am not aware of any changes to Boot mode.
  • JackE
    Jjet73So sorry, I meant the BIOS INFORMATION tab, not the MAIN tab. Is the eMMC listed in the INFORMATION tab?

@Billsey this is apparently one of those no-legacy-overlay UEFI bootstrappers.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Jjet73

Tinkerer

Yes on the INFORMATION Tab:  EMMC model name: HBG4e; RMMC Serial #: D79B80D
  • Jjet73

Tinkerer

Sorry, typo  EMMC serial # not RMMC
  • JackE
    OK. Turn the machine completely off again. Then press and hold the ALT and F10 keys. Then press the power button to turn the machine back on. Do you get a  menu to reset the machine? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jjet73

Tinkerer

I have seen this screen before: "Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed. / Insert Recovery Media and Hit any key / Then Select 'Boot Manager' to choose anew Boot Device or to Boot Recovery Media." and there is an "OK" button. If I plug in the recovery USB, then, if I recall correctly, it goes to options for recovery, etc.  which lead to the message:   "There was a problem resetting your PC.  No changes were made."  
  • JackE
    >>> If I plug in the recovery USB>>>

Does your recovery USB boot to a screen with an "advanced" or "troiubleshooting" option? We need to try to get to the command prompt. A black screen with white letters ' X: \windows\system32\> _  '

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jjet73

Tinkerer

Yes I have booted and have the Command Prompt screen up.

• JackE
    At the X:  prompt, enter 'diskpart'. At the DISKPART>_ prompt enter 'list disk'. Either describe the result or post a phone shot if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Also at that point you can do a
    select disk x
    where 'x' is the disk number you see with the list, then do
    list part
    to show us a list of the partitions available on the disk.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jjet73

Tinkerer

here is the screenshot, it didn't go - my error

• JackE
    OK. Do these commands one by one and note result by phone shot if possible.

(1) Select Disk 0 (should simply respond Disk 0 selected)
    (2) List Volume

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jjet73

Tinkerer

Here is the result

• JackE
    OK. Enter 'exit' to go back to the X: \ command prompt. Did this machine originally come with factory-installed Win10 or Win8.x? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jjet73

Tinkerer

came with Win 8