SP315-51 No Bootable Device - Can't boot into Windows

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    After choosing the keyboard and language, before starting the install, there's a Repair option. That is where you want to go to get the diagnostic command prompt. From that prompt do a 'diskpart', then 'list disk' and 'list vol' to tell us what's going on.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited March 2020 Answer ✓
    If you decide you want to give up on Windows 7 and install Windows 10 (probably not free, but maybe)

1. Download the Windows 10 64 bit iso using the media creation tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2. Download rufus

https://rufus.ie/

3.  On a different computer, create the installation USB with rufus......with rufus settings:  GPT, UEFI (non-CSM), FAT32

4.  Go in to your Acer Spin's BIOS settings and put in UEFI mode and enable secure boot, and enable the F12 boot menu and then save/exit.

5.  Boot the Windows 10 USB by tapping the F12 key at the Acer logo

6.  Select Custom installation and delete all of your partitions

7.  After you delete your partitions, press and hold your computer's power button until your computer shuts off.  (This is a very important step because your previous installation was legacy MBR.)

8.  Turn on computer and install Windows 10.  Select Custom Installation and click on your drive where you want to install windows (it should say unallocated space) and then click NEXT.

9.  If your Spin came pre-installed with Windows 10, you don't need to enter a key.  The Windows 10 key will be retrieved automatically during the installation.  If your Spin came pre-installed with Windows 7, then you can enter your Windows 7 key during the installation of Windows 10.

10.  Check to see if your Windows 10 is activated in the settings.  If not you can pay microsoft in settings (microsoft Store).  But, if your Spin came pre-installed with Windows 10, you don't need to worry about that, because it will be automatically activated.  I may have misunderstood your post and wrongly assumed that Costco sold the Spin with Windows 7 pre-installed.

https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • chai613
    chai613 Member Posts: 105 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Thanks to both billsey and JordanB!
    I'll try the Windows 7 Repair option billsey indicated to get me to the Diagnostic Command prompt.  I'm not a fan of Win10 and have been avoiding it on the laptop and my PC.  

JackE was working with me.  We changed the BIOS Boot Mode from UEFI to Legacy hoping that would allow booting up into Windows, but it didnt.  So, I'm still in Legacy boot mode.  I hope that's ok.
  • chai613
    So before starting Install, I went to the Repair Option.  However, it doesnt give me a diagnostic command prompt, no way to get to DiskPart.  It brings me to -
    System Recovery Options.
    There I have 2 choices:
    1.  Use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting windows.  Select an operating system to repair.  

If your operating system isn't listed, click Load Drivers and then install drivers for your hard disks.

NO OPERATING SYSTEM IS SHOWN.
    Is this because I'm in Legacy mode?

2.  Restore your computer using a system image that you created earlier. 

If it's not a problem I'm in Legacy mode, should I follow the first choice to try Loading Drivers?
  • JordanB
    Boot your Windows 7 Disk.   When you see “Windows Setup” on your screen, press Shift+F10
    and this will give you a command prompt. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,463 Trailblazer
    Sorry for the delay. Yes, definitely, go ahead and re-install Win7 if you only have to reinstall Office and a few other apps. However, I personally would avoid blindly relying on 3rd party anti-virus freeware like Avast that loads on startup these days even for Win10. Just try to be more vigilent & careful on what you click. If anything, I would try a standalone manual scanner like McAfee's Stinger if you suspect something seems unusually weird. Stinger is regularly updated almost weekly. It's pretty good. At least as good or a bit better than Microsoft's malicious software removal tool. The only drawback is that full disk scans can take several hours. But you could these scans when you're asleep and not using the machine. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Wow, JordanB, it sure did.  But billsey had suggested I go to the Diagnostic Command Prompt from the Repair Option after the Language Choice but before Installing Win7.  Again, I don't get to the Repair Option.  I got to System Recovery Option.  But, No operating system showed, so that option said Load Drivers and Install drivers for the hard disk.  

billsey said if I got to the Diagnostic prompt I'd get to "diskpart", then "list disk", then "disk vol".  
    At the Windows setup screen I did hit Shift+F10, but the Command prompt it brought me to is:  across the top...
    Administrator:X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe

The screen says:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]

The prompt is:

X:\Sources>

• JackE
    If it were mine, I'd ust try to re-install Win7.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Thank you Jack and Jordan.  Jack, sorry, didnt see your reply at 9:24PM.  I use Avast's premium fee based antivirus, anti-malware, and a mess more antis, it's been pretty good for 8 years or more, but I took my eye off the ball trying to visit an authentic site, but misspelled it, ending up at a similarly spelled but bogus site.  Avast immediately trapped and quarantined a threat.   I thought I was good, but this new virus going around...

Anyway, yes, we need to be extra vigilant.

Jordan, thanks very much for the Great links you provided.  I'll check to see if there is data I need to save before restoring Win7.  I love the other links too.

But. Tomorrow I plan to reinstall Win7.
    I think you're right, Jack.  Am I ok doing it from Legacy mode?  I imagine it shouldnt matter.  

Thanks again very much, folks!

• JackE
    Yes, BIOS must be set to legacy mode for Win7. Good luck. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    chai613 said:
    billsey said if I got to the Diagnostic prompt I'd get to "diskpart", then "list disk", then "disk vol".  
    At the Windows setup screen I did hit Shift+F10, but the Command prompt it brought me to is:  across the top...
    Administrator:X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe

The screen says:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]

The prompt is:

X:\Sources>
    That's the right place. If you do the diskpart and those two commands it will let us know which boot type is setup on the drive. The last machines that had Windows 7 installed were typically Windows 8 machines downgraded to Windows 7, and they used UEFI to boot Windows 7. If that's how yours is configured then having the BIOS in Legacy mode will break booting. It's easy to tell if we can see the partitions and volumes on the drive.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    Booting was already broken in UEFI mode. Either way, Win7 should be re-installed. I seriously doubt it's a GPT partitioned disk. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Thanks Jack.  

Before reinstalling Win7, I tried "diskpart" at the x:\Sources>  command prompt.  It listed a large number of items.  I entered "list disk".

It says "There are no fixed disks to show".

Does this change anything?

Assuming not, and I'm a "go" for reinstalling win7, I'd love to back up a few folders first (using the command prompt, notebook and an external USB (thumb) drive)?

I can't follow JordanB's advice, though, because using shift +F10 at the install Windows screen and going to repair instead of install, requires choosing an operating system,  but there are NO operating systems shown to choose from.
    My only option is "Loading Drivers".  

Is there an alternative way to use the command prompt so I can see folders to copy to notepad or otherwise copy them to my USB drive?

• JackE
    >>>Before reinstalling Win7, I tried "diskpart" at the x:\Sources>  command prompt.  It listed a large number of items.  I entered "list disk".>>>

Entering 'diskpart' at the X command prompt should only show a Microsoft version copyright and the DISKPART> prompt. What large number of items did you see?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    It showed Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7600
    Then it showed commands with explanations.
    I'll copy 2 of the explanations

ACTIVE - Mark the selected partition as active
    ADD -      Add a mirror to a simple volume
    ASSIGN
    ATTRIBUTES
    ATTACH
    AUTOMOUNT
    BREAK
    CLEAN
    COMPACT
    CONVERT
    CREATE
    DELETE
    DETAIL
    DETACH
    EXIT
    EXTEND
    EXPAND
    FILESYSTEMS
    FORMAT
    GPT 
    HELP
    IMPORT
    INACTIVE
    LIST
    MERGE
    RECOVER
    REM 
    REMOVE
    REPAIR
    RESCAN
    RETAIN
    SAN 
    SELECT
    SETID 
    SHRINK
    UNIQUEID 

Of course I tried REPAIR, but it says "the arguments specified for this command are not valid.  For more information on the command type:  HELP REPAIR

DISKPART>
  • JackE
    Yep. That seems to be a 2008 version. Pretty young for a kid.

Forget relying on this diskpart version. It's not a kid!

Try to re-install Win7 with the BIOS in legacy mode, If you want to try to copy some folders/files before pulling the install trigger, then hook the drive up to another computer with a USB-2-HDD/SSD cable adapter (less than $10 on Amazon) and get them off.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    edited March 2020
  • JackE
    Try to re-install Win7 in legacy mode first. Then go from there if it fails. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    OK, Jack,will try to reinstall Win7 in legacy mode.  Would like try to get a bit of data off first.  You had said..

"If you want to try to copy some folders/files before pulling the install trigger, then hook the drive up to another computer with a USB-2-HDD/SSD cable adapter (less than $10 on Amazon) and get them off."

I'm running the Acer Spin laptop.  I can't remove drive.  Searching USB-2-HDD/SSD Adapter Cable at Amazon and elsewhere shows only cables with SATA involvement.  

Not understanding the data transfer process, Jack.  I'd use my PC and this adapter cable, plugging into USB ports on both the laptop and PC?  Is there software to guide the transfer?

Can you show me a link to an adapter cable that would work?