Changing HDD to SSD bit windows won't boot or shut down? HELP PLZ

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    >>>The old HDD does boot with win10 fine, just a bit slow but no issues like the SSD. >>>

Get back into the X command prompt from the USB boot stick. Then enter the following commands at the X prompt
    (1) chkdsk c: /r
    (2) sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

If these commands complete successfully, then immediately try to clone/migrate to the SSD the way you did before. The slowness you mention suggests that the HDD is starting to fail. Nothing to do with Win10. It will probably get slower and slower as  more and more new bad sections emerge till it won't boot any more. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures
    HRVPictures Member Posts: 60

Tinkerer

edited March 2020
    JackE said:
    >>>The old HDD does boot with win10 fine, just a bit slow but no issues like the SSD. >>>

Get back into the X command prompt from the USB boot stick. Then enter the following commands at the X prompt

If these commands complete successfully, then immediately try to clone/migrate to the SSD the way you did before. The slowness you mention suggests that the HDD is starting to fail. Nothing to do with Win10. It will probably get slower and slower as  more and more new bad sections emerge till it won't boot any more. Jack E/NJ   

at first step chkdsk , at stage 4 there is an error as you can see from photo attached. 

it's doing the rest of this stage. but is there anything fixable? 

PS: the error say not enough space but the HDD is 500GB and almost empty with only one partition. 
  • HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:

at first step chkdsk , at stage 4 there is an error as you can see from photo attached. 

it's doing the rest of this stage. but is there anything fixable? 

PS: the error say not enough space but the HDD is 500GB and almost empty with only one partition. 
    another one came up: 

• JackE
    >>>but the HDD is 500GB and almost empty with only one partition.  >>>

This can't be right. If it's booting, It should have 3 partitions. One system reserved partition. One recovery partition.  And one C data partition. How did you determine that it's almost empty and only one partition? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

edited March 2020
    JackE said:

This can't be right. If it's booting, It should have 3 partitions. One system reserved partition. One recovery partition.  And one C data partition. How did you determine that it's almost empty and only one partition? Jack E/NJ
    Sorry I confused you. Forgot that i was trying to say that there was enough space.

now stage 4 is finished but at stage 5 , it’s been at the same number for quit more than one hour and nothing goes ahead.!

should i cancel this and then do the stage 2?! 

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:

Sorry I confused you. Forgot that i was trying to say that there was enough space.

now stage 4 is finished but at stage 5 , it’s been at the same number for quit more than one hour and nothing goes ahead.!

should i cancel this and then do the stage 2?! 

And this is for stage 2 not sure if it did anything?!! 

• JackE
    I think what we're seeing here is the HDD's heads crashing into disk platters. It's destroying itself. Better stop or you may not be able to boot from it  much longer or have any chance of saving data on it.

Before we move on trying to boot Win10 from the new SSD, what Windows version did the machine have when you first got it? Win7 or Win8.x? About when was it changed to Win10?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    I think what we're seeing here is the HDD's heads crashing into disk platters. It's destroying itself. Better stop or you may not be able to boot from it  much longer or have any chance of saving data on it.

Before we move on trying to boot Win10 from the new SSD, what Windows version did the machine have when you first got it? Win7 or Win8.x? About when was it changed to Win10?

Jack E/NJ

I stopped it actually.

it had windows 7 on it. And around 2months ago max I upgraded it to windows 10. But I should say I don’t have the recovery files anymore as I deleted them thinking there won’t be used anymore! 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • JackE
    Exactly how did you do the upgrade on the old HDD? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Exactly how did you do the upgrade on the old HDD? Jack E/NJ
    Through windows update itself. 
  • JackE
    Directly from a Win7 update notice to Win10? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Directly from a Win7 update notice to Win10? Jack E/NJ 
     Yes.
  • JackE
    If you did this two months ago it was unlikely to be directly from a normal Win7 update? That ended years ago. Are you sure you didn't use Microsoft's media creation tool to install Win10 for free? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    If you did this two months ago it was unlikely to be directly from a normal Win7 update? That ended years ago. Are you sure you didn't use Microsoft's media creation tool to install Win10 for free? Jack E/NJ
    Yes, because I wasn’t using this laptop for a while and I am sure I didn’t use the tool. But I could be wrong snd updated it while before! I remember i did some update around one months ago but maybe it wasn’t windows 10 installation and just some major updates. 
  • HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Yes, because I wasn’t using this laptop for a while and I am sure I didn’t use the tool. But I could be wrong snd updated it while before! I remember i did some update around one months ago but maybe it wasn’t windows 10 installation and just some major updates. 
    Is there any hope? Tbh i was trying to fix this for my sister to use and have already spent on the parts! :/ 
  • JackE
    Yes. I suggest that Win7 HomePremium be re-installed on the new SSD from a bootable Win7HP installation USB stick. If you later want to try to change the SSD to Win10, you're free to do so though I wouldn't do it. What do you want to do? Jack E/N

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Yes. I suggest that Win7 HomePremium be re-installed on the new SSD from a bootable Win7HP installation USB stick. If you later want to try to change the SSD to Win10, you're free to do so though I wouldn't do it. What do you want to do? Jack E/N
    I am concerned if win7 would stop working in future and won't be supported anymore which I think it isn't already anymore! also where can i find win7 installation file? 
  • JackE
    If you're that concerned about Win7, then forget Win7, go to this link, click on Win10, and follow directions to make a bootable Win10 installation USB pendrive. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    If you're that concerned about Win7, then forget Win7, go to this link, click on Win10, and follow directions to make a bootable Win10 installation USB pendrive. Jack E/NJ
    There isn't any link! would it be the same as win10 I have previously installed? 
  • HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    There isn't any link! would it be the same as win10 I have previously installed? 
    I actually did install win7 as well but same issues appeared! :/