Changing HDD to SSD bit windows won't boot or shut down? HELP PLZ

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Try 'select volume 3' instead of 'select volume Y'.  Diskpart can be picky. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures
    HRVPictures Member Posts: 60

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Yes, indeed. It's just being stubborn in order to annoy you.  :) . Go back to diskpart. Enter the following commands.

(1) Select Disk 0 (the biggest disk)
    (2) List volume
    (3) Select volume # (whichever volume # you earlier labelled Y)
    (4) Attribute volume clear readonly
    (5) Exit

Jack E/NJ

This time i get the message “Virutal disk service error: the object is not found.”
     :/ photo attached 
    Same error. It didn’t work! :/ 
  • HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Yes, indeed. It's just being stubborn in order to annoy you.  :) . Go back to diskpart. Enter the following commands.

(1) Select Disk 0 (the biggest disk)
    (2) List volume
    (3) Select volume # (whichever volume # you earlier labelled Y)
    (4) Attribute volume clear readonly
    (5) Exit

Jack E/NJ

This time i get the message “Virutal disk service error: the object is not found.”
     :/ photo attached 
    Same error. It didn’t work! :/ 
    Even when I want to turn the laptop off it doesn’t do it by choosing the “shut down”. Option and I have to do it manually. When I click on the “turn the pc off” option the screen goes like lower contrast and stopped there. Photo attached. 
  • JackE
    When you 'select volume 3', did you get a return confirmation message that 'volume 3 is the selected volume'? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    When you 'select volume 3', did you get a return confirmation message that 'volume 3 is the selected volume'? Jack E/NJ
    Yes. 
  • JackE
    OK. Enter 'attributes' after volume 3 has been selected. What is the return confirmation message? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    OK. Enter 'attributes' after volume 3 has been selected. What is the return confirmation message? Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Try attribute without the s. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Try attribute without the s. Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Try the 'attributes clear readonly' command with an S on the selected volume 3 again. Are you enjoying all the syntax errors that are possible with the command and diskpart prompts yet?   :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Try the 'attributes clear readonly' command with an S on the selected volume 3 again. Are you enjoying all the syntax errors that are possible with the command and diskpart prompts yet?   :) Jack E/NJ
    I did both with and without S. 
    yeah it’s quite enjoyable but I hope it will fix at the end :anguished: 
  • JackE
    Take a closer look at your screen to see what was enter. We now have to deal with 'clean' with an 'n' vs 'clear' with an 'r'. Try them both with attributes with & without an 's'. If they still fail to change the readonly volume attribute, we might have to enter the BIOS menu with a supervisor password to disable secure boot which may be locking the readonly attribute. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Don't waste any more time on diskpart right now. Get into the BIOS to set and save a supervisor password. Then re-enter the BIOS with the password and disable secure boot. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Don't waste any more time on diskpart right now. Get into the BIOS to set and save a supervisor password. Then re-enter the BIOS with the password and disable secure boot. Jack E/NJ
    I don’t see any secure boot option! A question, could this have something to do with that SATA Mode option at all?
  • JackE
    WAIT!!! What is your full ACER model number? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    WAIT!!! What is your full ACER model number? Jack E/NJ
    Acer 5560g aspire
  • JackE
    Aye! Sorry my mistake, I shoulda checked sooner. I didn't realize this was a Win7-Win8 era in-between machine. You must put the old HDD back in. First, we gotta make sure still boots Win10 OK. Then we'll go from there. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Aye! Sorry my mistake, I shoulda checked sooner. I didn't realize this was a Win7-Win8 era in-between machine. You must put the old HDD back in. First, we gotta make sure still boots Win10 OK. Then we'll go from there. Jack E/NJ  
    That's ok. The old HDD does boot with win10 fine, just a bit slow but no issues like the SSD. 
  • JackE
    Then put the old HDD back in. Then boot from the USB stick. We can then try to repair its corrupted/bad  read sections that were creating problems with cloning/migrating it to SSD. Once repaired, we can then try cloning/migrating to the SSD again. OK? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• HRVPictures

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Then put the old HDD back in. Then boot from the USB stick. We can then try to repair its corrupted/bad  read sections that were creating problems with cloning/migrating it to SSD. Once repaired, we can then try cloning/migrating to the SSD again. OK? Jack E/NJ 
    It is already in and I am rebooting it now. what is the next step? Thanks