My keyboard stopped working on my Nitro AN515-53

Options
13»

Answers

• mypassport
    mypassport Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Hello, my apologies for bringing back up old post but I have similar issues.  I was thinking about taking this in for warranty repairs but before I do I wanted to try the snappy drivers solution.  I don't see keyboard->ps/2 option, anyone with any ideas?  
  • NYCMC
    NYCMC Member Posts: 42 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Ok guys this is my fix once and for all.  As you all know, many of us have been tortured by this keyboard problem and tried everything from software, drivers, reinstalling OS to physically replacing keyboards and the problem keeps coming back.  Since the pandemic I have been working from home and this laptop was put away for a Mac because it was unusable.  Finally, after a year of staring at it under my coffee table I finally decided to take it apart myself and see what's under the hood.

I am only describing what you will see and what you need to do. I didn't take any pictures so you will have to follow along the best you can.

1. Unplug the laptop and flip it upside down. Remove the memory cover and also remove the harddrive. Unscrew all the screws that attaches the bottom cover to the body.
    2. Open the laptop as if you are going to use it, flip it onto its side. Starting on the edge closest to the screen, use a very thin flat plastic or metal blade to slowly pop the plastic bottom cover off a little at a time.
    3. Once the bottom plastic cover is removed, gently pull off the battery connection at the motherboard. Look at the battery unit and see directly underneath the power cable from the battery is the keyboard cable.  Unscrew the 2 silver battery unit screws and remove the battery.
    4. The keyboard cable simply slides out of the connector...and there is your problem. My connector and keyboard cable were not as snug as you'd expect.  It slid in and out way too easily so I suspected that some of the contacts were not making a good connection.  I need a shim for that cable so it would have better contact inside the connector.  I tried a bunch of various thickness papers and found the best was the paper receipt you get from a gas station but you are free to try with whatever you have around.
    5. Cut a thumb-size piece that can fit inside the connector but sticks out long enough so that you can pull out when you need to.
    6. With the paper inserted into the connector gently slide the keyboard cable over the piece of paper. With luck your paper thickness will be the right size and cause enough pressure to get good contact between the cable and connector. 
    7. Reattach the battery cable to the motherboard...be very careful and precise...I bent one of the pins and had to straighten it out.
    8. Screw the battery unit back into place. Snap the cover back on. Screw on the cover. Re-attach hard drive. Done

Been using this laptop for several days and never had a problem since. All this time, it was the poor design and sloppy fit of keyboard cable and the connector on the motherboard.  A layperson should not have to figure this out on their own.  With all the complaints people had with this problem Acer never took the initiative to acknowledge the problem or come up with a fix.  Getting a new keyboard wouldn't solve the problem if the specs are exactly the same. Loose connectors and held in only by friction is a recipe for disaster.

I love having a usable laptop now but this whole experience will cause me to never buy Acer again. Good luck everyone, give this method a try if any previous fixes have failed.  This is a pretty darn good laptop if not for the keyboard issue. 

I will check back now and then here so if you have questions post them and I will answer when I get around to it.   Happy New Year!!