My keyboard stopped working on my Nitro AN515-53

der72
der72 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited September 2019 in Nitro Gaming
how can i get it to work again. 
i cant plug an external keyboard in and that works. but i wiped the win 10 to see if it would help - but nothing. keyboard still dont work. what now? thx

Best Answer

• der72
    edited September 2019 Answer ✓
    i solved it.. i used snappy integrated install drivers update.. and it picked a "non" internal ps/2 keyboard driver or likely .. when i manually picked a "internal" ps/2 keyboard driver on the list - it worked again. yay!! 

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Have you gone to Device Manager and uninstalled the keyboard then reboot?

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• der72
    yeah thx... i just WIPED my win 10
  • der72
    but .. to make sure ... i just did it  - like you said. didnt help. ;-) 
  • andylb
    In that case it probably is a hardware problem, if you are under warranty contact Acer support for your region

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• der72
    okay might be. thx.. but it worked yesterday and its been sitting on my desk all day - no harm done. i was just updating my drivers in all machine. so i dont think so. so what is my problem? or how do i fix it?
  • der72
    oh yeah! i remember.. i did a firmware update - directly in Device Manager - right clicked on acer inc system firmware and updated it to version 1.26. must have dont it - what do you say ? thx
  • der72
    okay updated it to 1.28  - still a bricked keyboard. hmm
  • andylb
    ***** that's the worst way to update the BIOS. What's your exact model number AN515-**

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• der72

i never would have done it there normally- was just right clicking all the way down - to see if all drivers were updated.. anyway - thx.. here : Nitro AN515-53

• der72
    edited September 2019 Answer ✓
    i solved it.. i used snappy integrated install drivers update.. and it picked a "non" internal ps/2 keyboard driver or likely .. when i manually picked a "internal" ps/2 keyboard driver on the list - it worked again. yay!! 
  • andylb
    Excellent well done

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Mcnuvvet
    Mcnuvvet Member Posts: 2 New User
    der72 said:
    I've tried to figure this out but I don't see anything for a ps/2 or even keyboard driver. How exactly did you go about doing this?
  • NYCMC
    NYCMC Member Posts: 42 Devotee WiFi Icon
    I also tried with snappy driver but I didn't see an option for a keyboard update. I even removed the keyboard driver and ran snappy but it didn't do anything for me.  I just updated a few other drivers but it hasn't solved my wonky keyboard.  Its working ok for now but I've noticed the usual quirks here and there.
  • andylb
    der72 said:

I'm glad that Snappy worked out for you but a warning here to others, 3rd party driver update utilities have caused a many problems that have been posted here especially with GPU's and BIOS updates. It takes longer but I prefer to go to the hardware manufacturer directly and search for the correct driver for my device

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• NYCMC
    NYCMC Member Posts: 42 Devotee WiFi Icon
    andylb said:
    der72 said:

I'm glad that Snappy worked out for you but a warning here to others, 3rd party driver update utilities have caused a many problems that have been posted here especially with GPU's and BIOS updates. It takes longer but I prefer to go to the hardware manufacturer directly and search for the correct driver for my device
    Agreed. I had two major problems as I was applying some snappy updates. Apparently, the laptop didn't like the Elan touchpad update and on reboot I was locked out of the laptop because the keyboard was completely shut off. I couldn't type in my password so I was stuck for a bit.  Luckily, I was able to use the Administrator account that didn't have a password and promptly uninstalled the driver and got my keyboard back.

The second issue was applying the Rapid Storage update.  That basically BSOD the laptop stuck at the Acer splash screen.  Anyway, somehow I kept trying until Windows allowed me to Restore and luckily I was able to get back to work.

My laptop is usable for the time being.  Maybe some of the drivers that were updated helped. I won't say its a definite fix until after a few more days.
  • der72
    andylb said:
    der72 said:

ah" dont get me wrong. Snappy DID in fact give me the error in the beginning! but when i went BACK to snappy and "scanned" for drivers again, THEN i could see there were more "options" on keyboards, and when choosing drivers for my keyboard i could see an "internal ps/2" driver thus choosing a random "internal" driver, my keyboard came alive again. 

and for some reason i cant recreate the specific list - but attached a picture of "how the list looks" in snappy - and if one does that for keyboard - you will find a "internal ps/2 keyboard driver" -

(btw my snappy dont like the ez pad either ;-) )

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yyu3ZshwiqNeXdWq9 
  • Pawan2701
    Pawan2701 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Did the problem get solved completely? I have the same model an515-53. The same keys were not working and it is really frustrating. Pls help!!!
  • der72
    Yes . Solved completely! 
  • der72
    suggestion to solving it. 
    install snappy driver etc.. scan for drivers. (only list- dont download all).
    find drivers for keyboard list. open list. find a "internal keyboard" driver.. install it.. leave the rest. 
    thats how i went about it. ;-) 
    ps i tried to install my driver for keyboard from homepage.. didnt help anything. 
    i still have no idea whats wrong in techincal terms. but it worked. never had a problem since. (and im not going to use snappy again ;-) ) 
  • Pawan2701
    Pawan2701 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Other than ELAN Ez touch filter, didn't find any other internal ps/2 driver in the list. Do I need to install elan and need to scan for internal ps/2 driver again? Pls elaborate mate..Thanks!!!