My keyboard stopped working on my Nitro AN515-53

Answers

• der72
    der72 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    mine ez was still bugged . according to the list. but i never had any issues on my ez pad. i just rejected the driver . cause it constantly came back with the driver not installed and i left it there. it worked nicely. so i moved on ;-) 
  • der72
    but i cant tell the exact solving to my problem. snappy just buggered my setup and i went back and retraced my step and i found (after opening the drop down menu for keyboard drivers) an internal ps/2 internal driver. dont know if that helps.. post me back then . all the best
  • Pawan2701
    Pawan2701 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

I did exactly as you said. Here are the steps:
    1) First installed the ez driver. After the boot when I opened the SDI again, it has shown that the EZ driver isn't installed.
    2) As someone mentioned in the post, my keyboard was frozen too post the boot. Through ease of access, I was able to login using the virtual keyboard.
    3) Now a drop-down list of integrated ps2 drivers is displayed below. I selected the first one and installed. 
    4) After the reboot, driver was shown installed and EZ driver reverted to its initial state, when I opened SDI for the first time.

Although there was some lag, it is far more comfortable than the frustration I was experiencing. Thanks a ton, mate. Cheers. Will keep updating!!! 
  • Pawan2701

Tinkerer

I guess the culprit here is the keypad light as well. When I turn it off, it is responding much better. So far it is good!!! The problem is completely resolved for you?? 
  • Pawan2701

Tinkerer

NYCMC said:
    I also tried with snappy driver but I didn't see an option for a keyboard update. I even removed the keyboard driver and ran snappy but it didn't do anything for me.  I just updated a few other drivers but it hasn't solved my wonky keyboard.  Its working ok for now but I've noticed the usual quirks here and there.
    I was following your thread and came to this post. The problem is now resolved like 90% from 50% scenario. Do try the steps that I have mentioned and update us...Thanks!!! 
  • NYCMC
    NYCMC Member Posts: 42 Devotee WiFi Icon
    I wouldn't bother with the drivers. This is a hardware issue. Same problems across various models. Either a bad batch of keyboards or motherboards.
  • NYCMC
    Pawan2701 said:
    1) First installed the ez driver. After the boot when I opened the SDI again, it has shown that the EZ driver isn't installed.
    2) As someone mentioned in the post, my keyboard was frozen too post the boot. Through ease of access, I was able to login using the virtual keyboard.
    3) Now a drop-down list of integrated ps2 drivers is displayed below. I selected the first one and installed. 
    4) After the reboot, driver was shown installed and EZ driver reverted to its initial state, when I opened SDI for the first time.

Although there was some lag, it is far more comfortable than the frustration I was experiencing. Thanks a ton, mate. Cheers. Will keep updating!!! 
    I ran the same steps as you submitted and as usual it "seems" better but not really. I still have trouble with s,o,k, backspace, 0.  Sometimes they work flawlessly and sometimes they're all dead.
  • NYCMC
    Pawan2701 said:

I want to add that on the first try, I also chose the first instance of the Integrated PS/2 Keyboard Driver. Didn't seem to make much of a difference with the keyboard problem. I started to look at each one of the drivers and noticed more details about each one. Basically, there are 2 brands listed, Dell and Lenovo. Also, within those 2 options are x86 and x64 as well as something like "ntamd" vs something generic.  Anyway, I decided to go with Dell, x64 and the generic.  And now the keyboard does "seem" to be more responsive. As with my many attempts to fix this it always feels better but then the same problem come back.

Only time will tell. Good luck all.
  • der72
    hi again. 
    well okay - i didnt have that issue you speak about. my keyboard were completely "bricked" and when it came to livei had no issues. i never had any issues with unresponsive keys. (and never had before i had the error). So my explanation - i guess - wont help on your issue. i dont know. (when its totally bricked, my solution helped me). happy hunting. 
  • Pawan2701

Tinkerer

NYCMC said:
    Pawan2701 said:

I ran the same steps as you submitted and as usual it "seems" better but not really. I still have trouble with s,o,k, backspace, 0.  Sometimes they work flawlessly and sometimes they're all dead.
    As you said it is better now but not completely resolved. As with the dell x64 driver, pls do an update on the responsiveness. will install based on your response. Currently, with 2 to 3 keystrokes when it's bricked, I was able to activate the keys. previously I used to hit like 10 to 20 times.
  • NYCMC
    Pawan, so far I can say it is much more usable now. The problem keys are still interfering with my typing. But like you said 2 or 3 taps and I can continue until the next hiccup.  Previously, it took 15-20 tries before I can get the keys to work. I can't believe its a driver issue but perhaps it is. Anyway, I will keep using this particular driver for now.  Thanks for the suggestions guys.
  • Pawan2701

Tinkerer

NYCMC said:
    Pawan, so far I can say it is much more usable now. The problem keys are still interfering with my typing. But like you said 2 or 3 taps and I can continue until the next hiccup.  Previously, it took 15-20 tries before I can get the keys to work. I can't believe its a driver issue but perhaps it is. Anyway, I will keep using this particular driver for now.  Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    Then most of the drivers listed were the same I guess. Thanks again!!!
  • NYCMC
    I just noticed that my keyboard has been working perfectly for the last 2 days. I have not made any changes except installing the latest MS Windows update. Previously, my s,o,k,backspace,4,7 and other keys would seriously lag or stop working. I tried every trick to fix the problem but nothing was 100% nor permanent. I basically hated this laptop and regret having paid good money for it. Anyway, I am happy to say for 48hrs straight hours I have not had one single hiccup.  I actually have to learn to trust my typing again because I was so conditioned to expecting the keyboard to fail while typing.  I am cautiously optimistic.
  • Pawan2701

Tinkerer

NYCMC said:
    I just noticed that my keyboard has been working perfectly for the last 2 days. I have not made any changes except installing the latest MS Windows update. Previously, my s,o,k,backspace,4,7 and other keys would seriously lag or stop working. I tried every trick to fix the problem but nothing was 100% nor permanent. I basically hated this laptop and regret having paid good money for it. Anyway, I am happy to say for 48hrs straight hours I have not had one single hiccup.  I actually have to learn to trust my typing again because I was so conditioned to expecting the keyboard to fail while typing.  I am cautiously optimistic.
    Did you install the updates through win10 update assistant or directly through Update & Security settings. Let me know which update has fixed the issue. My last update was KB4524147 for version 1903.
  • NYCMC
    I'm updated to (build 18362.418) for version 1903 which is supposedly KB4517389. I looked up KB4524147 which is Build 18362.388. The KB numbers indicate yours to be newer but the build number says otherwise. I've had hiccups but they are very few and far between.

• Pawan2701

Tinkerer

NYCMC said:
    I'm updated to (build 18362.418) for version 1903 which is supposedly KB4517389. I looked up KB4524147 which is Build 18362.388. The KB numbers indicate yours to be newer but the build number says otherwise. I've had hiccups but they are very few and far between.

So the problem is still there say 1 to 2% ?? - regarding the hiccups you mentioned. My OS build is 18362.418 the same as yours. I didn't see much improvement as of now. But the integrated driver was much better than standard ps/2 driver. on a day, I was typing a report continuously for an hour and it started behaving without any hiccups till I shut the laptop. The next morning, it's the usual routine again. Don't really understand what's the issue.  I don't think it's a hardware issue.
  • NYCMC
    Yep. If I were to rate the keyboard problems unscientifically, at its worst, it was happening 80% of the time I was typing. To the point where it was impossible to use. The various tips (resetting the battery, removing the default driver etc) reduced it somewhat to maybe 50%. The Snappy driver definitely helped some more knocking it down something like 25%.  Finally on its own, maybe due to the Windows Update I would say it only occurs 10% of the time. I would like to say 1-2% but I do see it once in a while. In all, I am willing to say its now a very small annoyance for me and it is not causing me any grief like it did before. Of course, I wish it was never happening at all. Maybe try Snappy again and use that keyboard driver that I mentioned. It hasn't caused me any issues and maybe it helped?
  • Pawan2701

Tinkerer

NYCMC said:
    Yep. If I were to rate the keyboard problems unscientifically, at its worst, it was happening 80% of the time I was typing. To the point where it was impossible to use. The various tips (resetting the battery, removing the default driver etc) reduced it somewhat to maybe 50%. The Snappy driver definitely helped some more knocking it down something like 25%.  Finally on its own, maybe due to the Windows Update I would say it only occurs 10% of the time. I would like to say 1-2% but I do see it once in a while. In all, I am willing to say its now a very small annoyance for me and it is not causing me any grief like it did before. Of course, I wish it was never happening at all. Maybe try Snappy again and use that keyboard driver that I mentioned. It hasn't caused me any issues and maybe it helped?
    Hey!! Post some recent windows update, the faulty keys are behaving more responsive. I won't say completely solved but a way better than during my previous post. How is yours now?? I didn't install the driver that you mentioned - Dell, Lenovo drivers are not being displayed in snappy for me..Don't know why..  
  • Fiasco
    Fiasco Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hai any update on the keyboard issue.? mines updated and still not working
  • der72
    edited December 2019
    i have solved it (again) - i just did a full resinstall on my machine and keyboard was broken - again.
    i had to use an external keyboard and mouse.
    solution: go to "device manager" - rightclik on keyboard (in the dropdown menu) and choose "remove" - then reboot.
    problem was solved for me.
    hope it helps 
    der72