[Win10 1903 Update | E5-576G-5762] System unresponsive after display turned off by power settings

Options

Answers

• 3dvlad
    3dvlad Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Yes, but I have last version of this driver (19.51.23.1).
    UPD. I found information that Windows update (KB4515384) broke drivers for USB. Wi-Fi and many others devices. So it`s Microsoft problem.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Does the problem go away when you uninstall and delete the driver in device manager?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • al16238
    al16238 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited September 2019
    Options
    3dvlad said:
    Yes, but I have last version of this driver (19.51.23.1).
    UPD. I found information that Windows update (KB4515384) broke drivers for USB. Wi-Fi and many others devices. So it`s Microsoft problem.
    Interestingly enough, the 9/19 cumulative update temporarily fixed my issue until I decided to muck around my power plan settings.  Reverting the power plan settings back to default didn't work.

Also, this issue does not arise when my mediaplayer (Musicbee) is playing a song.  Specifically, when Musicbee is playing a song (and the power plan settings calls for the display to turn off after 1min), the display turns off, and moving a mouse or the trackpad brings the display back on.  If Musicbee is open and the track is paused (under the same power plan setting), the display turns off, and moving the mouse or the trackpad after the display turned off for a minute or so does not bring back the display, so the system requires to a hard shutdown and the event log shows the time of the system unexpectedly shutting down being prior to that of performing the hard shutdown itself.
  • Flipman
    Flipman Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    I'm having this same issue. I even sent my laptop off to Acer for repair having not seen this thread. They simply resinstalled Windows (despite the notes saying I'd already done that twice and it didn't work). They sent it back and the problem is still there. As it is now, i can't close my laptop while it's running a task or it crashes. And the screen can't go to sleep or it crashes. Super frustrating as I've only had this laptop a year.  
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you checked if the bios update solves the problem?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Flipman

Tinkerer

edited October 2019
    Options
    Yeah, I've got bios 1.49. I've tried several versions of the video drivers, but the problem is still there. Really hope someone comes up with a fix or workaround.  
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    The windows version is 1903? Have you tried updating the drivers for intel and nvidia video cards from daintel and nvidia?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Flipman

Tinkerer

Options
    The windows version is 1903? Have you tried updating the drivers for intel and nvidia video cards from daintel and nvidia?
    Yes. But same problem as the other people in the thread. System becomes unresponsive after the screen times out. 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you tried reinstalling windows 10 by pressing alt + f10 before the Acer logo?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Flipman

Tinkerer

Options
    Have you tried reinstalling windows 10 by pressing alt + f10 before the Acer logo?
    I personally did two clean installs of Windows before sending it off to Acer for repair. Acer also reinstalled Windows. But the problem is still there. 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I still think it may be some problem with the drivers. Have you tried using any programs like driverbooster or driverpack?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Flipman

Tinkerer

Options
    Yeah. I guess it's good to know that at least a couple of other people are having this problem. Hopefully a fix comes out eventually. 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you checked if any errors appear in the windows event viewer?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Flipman

Tinkerer

Options
    Have you checked if any errors appear in the windows event viewer?
    I got "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly" and "The previous system shutdown at 4:09:32 PM on ‎10/‎6/‎2019 was unexpected."  
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    It would be interesting for you to try reinstalling windows by pressing alt + f10.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Flipman

Tinkerer

Options
    I'm not reinstalling windows again. I've reinstalled it twice myself and Acer repair reinstalled it. When I got my laptop back from Acer repair, the UHD video processor was disabled. At first I thought the problem was fixed until I realized that they had simply disabled the processor. My guess is they're aware of the problem. Hope they put a fix out soon because this is my first and likely last Acer.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Did you actually update the drivers on the intel and nvidia websites?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• al16238

Tinkerer

Options
    Flipman said:
    I'm not reinstalling windows again. I've reinstalled it twice myself and Acer repair reinstalled it. When I got my laptop back from Acer repair, the UHD video processor was disabled. At first I thought the problem was fixed until I realized that they had simply disabled the processor. My guess is they're aware of the problem. Hope they put a fix out soon because this is my first and likely last Acer.
    Thank you so much for reporting your experiences here.  I'm sorry that you had to go through all of that, but at least there appears to be an important clue linked to the video drivers.  I have been diligently updating the latest intel/nvidia drivers from their respective websites since the Windows 1903 update, and it has brought no solution to the issue so far.

egydiocoelho, I hope you are volunteering, but your latest recommendation is not helpful for most users, as they have to figure out (via google) how to install video drivers that haven't been signed by Acer.  Also, one of your last suggestions "re-installing Windows 10" for a machine that already been reinstalled twice and came back directly from Acer repair is tantamount to telling a user to turn-off and turn-on their machine after the user already reported doing so.  I've seen this type of "help" on Microsoft's support forum all to often, and it often grates already stressed-out users.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @al16238
    1) The fact that the driver is not signed by acer does not mean that it will cause some problem in windows, because the chip makers are intel, nvidia and amd. Therefore you download and install the drivers by going to the websites of the respective manufacturers. It is very likely that the default drivers provided by intel, nvidia or amd will solve your problem.
    2) Unfortunately, windows has many bugs. Usually reinstalling the operating system solves many problems.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• al16238

Tinkerer

Options
    @al16238
    1) The fact that the driver is not signed by acer does not mean that it will cause some problem in windows, because the chip makers are intel, nvidia and amd. Therefore you download and install the drivers by going to the websites of the respective manufacturers. It is very likely that the default drivers provided by intel, nvidia or amd will solve your problem.
    2) Unfortunately, windows has many bugs. Usually reinstalling the operating system solves many problems.
    Your first reply illustrates my problem with your "support" precisely.  If you used the E5-576G, then you would be aware that downloading Intel's latest video driver installer from Intel's website will not work.  Acer set it up that Intel's installer will quit prior to installing the drivers for this particular Acer laptop and display a message along the lines of "driver was not signed by Acer" (I do know if this applies to other Acer laptops).  A user will have to google the solution on how to get around this, something that you failed to mention.  As to your second reply, I agree wholeheartedly with Windows being full of bugs.  However, for the rest of your second reply, if you actually bothered to read the other user's reply, you would have found out that the user reinstalled windows twice!  Obviously your "reinstalling Windows" automaton statement didn't work.  Maybe a third reinstall was performed by Acer themselves prior to returning that user's laptop to them with the addition of disabling Intel's video drivers.  I never had such a problem after using laptops by Sony, HP (business line), Lenovo, Toshiba, and Dell.  This is my first and last Acer laptop and I will definitely recommend that my firm to avoid ordering Acer laptops to spare such headaches.

BTW, Intel released video drivers the other day and installing them did not fix the issue.  Testing on my Acer E5-576G, I switched back to the balanced plan that turned off the display after one minute.  My laptop's display panel turned off at 10:34am and I was listening to my music from my laptop via a USB-connected DAC until 11:00am when the audio abruptly was cut off midway through a song.  Unsurprisingly, moving my mouse and typing the keys on the touchpad.  Closing the lid did not put my laptop to slept either.  So, yet another hard shutdown.  When looking at the event viewer, it states that "[t]he previous system shutdown at 10:34:21 AM on ‎10/‎23/‎2019 was unexpected" rather than at around 11:00am when the system audio was suddenly cut off and the system was found unresponsive with a turned-off display screen.