[Win10 1903 Update | E5-576G-5762] System unresponsive after display turned off by power settings

al16238
al16238 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Following the Win10 1903 update, I noticed that when the laptop's display is turned off by the default "balanced" power plan (default settings) and remains off for a minute or two, the system becomes unresponsive (laptop fans still working).  Movement of a mouse or trackpad, and/or pressing of the keys do not turn the display back on as they normally did prior to the 1903 update.  Since the display cannot be turned back on, I have to do a hard shutdown (pressing and holding down, or continuously tapping, the power button), which is confirmed by the viewing the Windows' event logs after turning the laptop back on. 

Workaround attempts:
  • Turn off hibernate via cmd. Result: The above issue remains
  • Updating to the latest Intel and Nvidia video drivers.  Result: The above issue remains.
  • Reassigning the power button to "sleep."  Result: The power button does not put the laptop to sleep after the power plan turns off the display, which is unexpected; while the display is on, the power button puts the laptop to sleep as expected.
  • Closing the lid.  Result: When display turned off by default power plan settings -> laptop does not go to sleep; When display is on -> laptop goes to sleep
Current workaround: Create a new power plan to leave display on and turn on the "blank" screensaver.  Not ideal because the display is still "on" (backlit is still shown) while the screen is "black" from the screensaver.  I used this for a day or two because the above issue apparently didn't present itself when I connected my laptop to an external monitor.  Sadly, the above issue persists even if I use an external monitor.

Latest BIOS and video drivers from my model's support page  installed prior to the 1903 update.

Answers

• Does the problem remain when disabling fast startup within power options? Also, does the problem remain when you use the battery or power adapter?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • al16238

Tinkerer

edited August 2019
    Thanks for replying.  Yes, the problem remains when I use the battery (99.9% of the time, I use the power adapter).  Additionally, "Fast Startup" is not offered under "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings" when "Change settings that are currently no longer available" is clicked using an account with administrator access (see below).  I noticed that the "The previous system shutdown at ##:##:## AM/PM on ‎8/‎2/‎2019 was unexpected" on the event log is when the system froze rather than when I did the hard shutdown.  I usually have dropbox running for work and I noticed that it stops when the system freezes when the display is turned off by the default power plan settings, whereas prior to 1903 dropbox continued to work when the display was turned off by the same settings.

• Fast startup was disabled when you disabled hibernation. I suggest you turn hibernation back on and off hybrid hibernation.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • al16238

Tinkerer

I tried the above suggestion and that didn't work.  In the meantime since your post, I noticed that fast startup was enabled in the bios.  Disabling the bios fast startup didn't work.  Also, curiously, since I have a linux install on a separate partition, installed a desktop environment (KDE) and noticed the the same issue wherein allowing the display to turn off instead of dimming causes the system to freeze thereby necessitating a hard shutdown.  It was months since I booted into linux and I was mostly working in the terminal rather than using any desktop environment.  Still, prior to Win10's 1903 update (and after latest bios updated on Acer's support site), my laptop did not freeze whenever its screen powered off.  If this issue was due to the bios update, then I would've seen this issue prior to installing the 1903 update.  I wonder if resetting the battery would help.  The instructions to do so (press and hold down the power button for 15+ seconds) yielded unclear results: I don't know whether or not my laptop's battery did reset after performing the above procedure.
  • what version of bios have you upgraded to?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• al16238

Tinkerer

edited August 2019
    Version 1.43 under driver support (BIOS section) for my laptop: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/ID/content/support-product/7333

The BIOS update, if I can recall correctly, went fine without any errors.  There was a long 5min pause during the update, but no message or warning that the update failed.
  • Have you tried updating drivers on intel and nvidia websites and bios to version 1.49?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• al16238

Tinkerer

Apparently, I did:

• The problem still remains?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• al16238

Tinkerer

Yes, the problem still remains on BIOS 1.49, as I installed this version prior to updating Windows 10 to the 1903 update.
  • Have you installed the Acer quick access program? This program can assign power button settings.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• al16238

Tinkerer

Yes, and it originally assigned to "shutdown" since day one of this laptop and then assigned to "sleep".  Changing this has no effect.  One thing I noticed is that this issue is not around when I have an external HDD connected to my laptop via its USB 3.0 port.
  • OK! Here you said it "Latest BIOS and video drivers from my model's support page installed prior to the 1903 update."

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• al16238

Tinkerer

edited September 2019
    I already had the latest Intel drivers installed from that site you posted during my initial post.

Anyways, quick UPDATE:

The 9/10/19 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 1903 and the 9/5/19 Intel Graphics Driver update (x.7158), installed concurrently, appears to have fixed the issue.  Now, whenever the laptop display (or the connected display screen) turns off from the power plan setting, the laptop no longer prematurely freezes (indicated as an unexpected shutdown in the event viewer, timestamped well before I have to perform a hard shutdown). Thus, the issue was with either of them or both.

If I don't respond to this thread any further, consider this issue solved.
  • Great my friend!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• al16238

Tinkerer

Darn it, I had to turn off selective USB shutdown in the power settings of the Balanced Plan and the issue came back.  Resetting the power plan back to default does nothing, fml.
  • When you enable this function again, does the problem go away?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• The_Duk3_
    The_Duk3_ Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Hi al16238

Please can you give us another update on this, as I'm having the exact same problem. Only mine started not long after receiving my laptop and then went away for a short while. Now it's back after the windows update. Acer Model E5-576G-5762
  • 3dvlad
    3dvlad Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited September 2019
    The_Duk3_ said:
    Hi al16238

Please can you give us another update on this, as I'm having the exact same problem. Only mine started not long after receiving my laptop and then went away for a short while. Now it's back after the windows update. Acer Model E5-576G-5762
    Hello, Has it appeared 3 days ago? I also have this problem and I haven`t it before. Event log says that I have problems with  Intel Wireless-AC 3168 Adapter.
  • Have you tried to update this driver from intel's website?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer