predator triton 500 not charging after fresh start

124»

Answers

• dommeking
    dommeking Member Posts: 33 Troubleshooter
    JackE said:
    It still would be best to completely disconnect the battery from the mainboard and try to measure its connector conductor pairs directly. You're definitely not going to hurt anything on the battery by piercing the wires as close to the backside of the connector as possible with a needle or pin. Jack E/NJ   
    Yes, I already did that and still only yields 0.0024V. I am certain that I am reaching the cables since I can see it shining (silverish) through the cables coating
  • dommeking
    Red-Sand said:
    Check to make sure you didn't bend a pin when reinserting the battery.

Does the charging LED show up when plugged in?
    Plz describe exactly what happens after the laptop is completely reassembled and you plug in AC > turn on
    All the pins look fine to me, none of them is bent or shorter than the others.
    Yes, the charging LED shows up, but in orange (not charging the battery) and not in blue (as before, when it was still charging the battery)

Okay, I reassembled it. I plugged in the charger: orange charging LED turns on. I turn on the computer (it takes a little because the laptop know it has been disassembled) then Windows comes on, I log in and see that the computer is taking power from the cable but the battery is not charging. (Power LED is blue, Charging LED is orange)
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    If charging light is steady orange, not blinking orange, it's probably charging OK. But the battery may not be capable of holding the charge for very long  due to an internal short. It will likely never reach a steady blue again. So when you disconnect the charger, the battery rapidly loses charge and can only power the laptop for a short time. Sorry, it seems that you need a replacement battery. Part No. is KT.00408.001
     The cheapest I could find is at this link https://www.fr-batterie.com/acer-predator-triton-500-pt515-51-79nt-15.2v-84.36wh-batterie-de-ordinateur-portable-p-302118.html

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dommeking
    JackE said:
    But the battery may not be capable of holding the charge for very long  due to an internal short. It will likely never reach a steady blue again. So when you disconnect the charger, the battery rapidly loses charge and can only power the laptop for a short time.
    No, that's definitely not the case. Windows is reporting that the battery is not charging, but I can run windows with only battery (no charger) and then the battery has a very reasonable discharging behaviour (5 days ago I was at 41% and now with sometimes using the battery only I am at 30%)
    Is it possible to check if I have a defect on the mainboard (maybe some power management chip)?
  • JackE
    The battery itself actually has a power management/controller chip board inside. There is no way we users here can determine if an equivalent mainboard controller has gone bad because we users don't have access the mainboard schematics nor the equipment to test it. Sorry, about all we can suggest is to either replace the battery and/or the mainboard.  If it was my triton, I'd replace the battery to see if that resolves the issue. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dommeking
    I am also running a live ubuntu usb stick at the moment to see if the problem is Windows related (it's not) and I read out the battery information with some function called upower (I'm not really a linux guy, so let me now if there is a more reliable tool)
    It's been at 29% a while now, so I think maybe the battery indeed has some internal short or the power management on the mainboard (so on the hardware site) is not working properly
  • dommeking
    JackE said:
    The battery itself actually has a power management/controller chip board inside. There is no way we users here can determine if an equivalent mainboard controller has gone bad because we users don't have access the mainboard schematics nor the equipment to test it. Sorry, about all we can suggest is to either replace the battery and/or the mainboard.  If it was my triton, I'd replace the battery to see if that resolves the issue. Jack E/NJ
    Ah okay, I didn't know that. Then maybe this internal controller in the battery is broken. Anyways, I contacted Acer support and they told me I can send it in for free and they'll check if they can fix it and whether the laptops still under warranty. Otherwise they'll send me how much it'll cost to fix it, but if it's more than those 40€ for a new battery I will decline.

Thank you so much for your help then! I'll let you know if something new comes up and what the Acer support guys tell me to do.
  • JackE
    >>>I'm not really a linux guy, so let me now if there is a more reliable tool>>>

You can try the Win battery report. Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Compare design capacity with full charge capacity. Also post screenshot if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dommeking
    edited January 2020
    I attached a zip file containing the report. Nothing unusual to me it seems, but you can check for yourself
  • JackE
    Just a hint that the battery controller might not reporting things correctly when it's capacity exceeds design capacity. This machine should still be under warranty if it's the factory installed BIOS version. So yes let ACER service handle it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dommeking
    JackE said:
    Just a hint that the battery controller might not reporting things correctly when it's capacity exceeds design capacity. This machine should still be under warranty if it's the factory installed BIOS version. So yes let ACER service handle it. Jack E/NJ
    Hahah ah true, I missed that. Okay, I'll send it in and hopefully this falls still under warranty