Acer Nitro 5 Keyboard Lag

Options

Answers

• debonair3
    debonair3 Member Posts: 22 Networker
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>I don't have old restore points to go back to either. >>>

If there were none listed, system protection is probably disabled. Open ControlPanel. Searcj 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in left pane. In the box that pops up, are the protection setting on or off? Jack E/NJ
    I had two but they were from the last two days.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,586 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yesterday you said >>>Keyboard lag has returned.   >>>
    Today  you said>>>I had two but they were from the last two days.>>>

When did the lag actually return? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• debonair3
    Options
    JackE said:
    Yesterday you said >>>Keyboard lag has returned.   >>>
    Today  you said>>>I had two but they were from the last two days.>>>

When did the lag actually return? Jack E/NJ

I haven't used the laptop for about a week.  The restore points were after it returned.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you tested the keyboard in safe boot mode?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>The keyboard takes 5-6 presses to get it running properly without lagging.>>>
    >>>booting into safe mode doesn't help. >>>

Press Win+R. Enter 'cmd' . Do you notice a lag when you type at the command C : \windows\system>  prompt? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• debonair3
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>The keyboard takes 5-6 presses to get it running properly without lagging.>>>
    >>>booting into safe mode doesn't help. >>>

Press Win+R. Enter 'cmd' . Do you notice a lag when you type at the command C : \windows\system>  prompt? Jack E/NJ 

Yes I do.
  • debonair3
    Options
    Have you tested the keyboard in safe boot mode?
    I'll check that.  Although I think I've tried that before...
  • JackE
    Options
    Yes, you have tried safe mode before. That's why I quoted your remarks on safe mode. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options
    In the ControlPanel restore point app, do you see a box below the two restore points that you mentioned that says 'show more restore points'? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• debonair3
    Options
    JackE said:
    Yes, you have tried safe mode before. That's why I quoted your remarks on safe mode. Jack E/NJ
    It was there in safe mode as well.
    JackE said:
    In the ControlPanel restore point app, do you see a box below the two restore points that you mentioned that says 'show more restore points'? Jack E/NJ
    No I do not.
  • JackE
    Options
    debonair3   >>>I did update the bios. >>>

Do you recall about how long after you updated the BIOS firmware that you first noticed the lag? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• debonair3
    Options
    JackE said:
    debonair3   >>>I did update the bios. >>>

Do you recall about how long after you updated the BIOS firmware that you first noticed the lag? Jack E/NJ

I am pretty sure I had the lag before the bios update and after.  I am going to do a fresh install of windows on a test drive.  I have already refreshed the windows that is on my main drive but that didn't have any effect on this issue.
  • debonair3
    Options
    I ran ubuntu from a usb stick and the problem persists in linux.  I am still under warranty until 5/20.  The warranty is type "1 Year BBY-US MI/CI".  I bought this at Best Buy, will they help me with a warranty claim?
  • JackE
    Options
    First check again to see if the lag is also noticeable in the BIOS menu. If yes, go to this link, enter your serial number id (SNID) and arrange for warranty repair yourself. BB will likely only complicate matters.  https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• debonair3
    Options
    JackE said:
    First check again to see if the lag is also noticeable in the BIOS menu. If yes, go to this link, enter your serial number id (SNID) and arrange for warranty repair yourself. BB will likely only complicate matters.  https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support  Jack E/NJ

I don't notice anything in the bios but I'm not typing sentences so it is hard to tell.
  • JackE
    Options
    We seem to be re-visiting some of the same territory with the BIOS. Try this. Go back into the BIOS menu. Then pretend like you're setting a BIOS supervisor password so you can enter/type something fast to see if the KB lag is noticeable in the BIOS menu. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• debonair3
    Options
    JackE said:
    We seem to be re-visiting some of the same territory with the BIOS. Try this. Go back into the BIOS menu. Then pretend like you're setting a BIOS supervisor password so you can enter/type something fast to see if the KB lag is noticeable in the BIOS menu. Jack E/NJ

It seems fine in the bios.

Thanks for your help.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>It seems fine in the bios.>>>

Likely not a hardware issue. How does ubuntu terminal behave by making the stick first in the boot order in the BIOS boot tab? You might have to disable secure boot so you can avoid using the F12 option. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• debonair3
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>It seems fine in the bios.>>>

Likely not a hardware issue. How does ubuntu terminal behave by making the stick first in the boot order in the BIOS boot tab? You might have to disable secure boot so you can avoid using the F12 option. Jack E/NJ 

It works very poorly in ubuntu, like before.
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. You probably won't like this. But here's my suggestion. Backup any personal files. Then do an erase everything ALT+F10 cold boot factory reset as shown in the video below preferrably with your router or wifi turned off so as to prevent any Win10 updates from sneaking in. Then enable system protection in ControlPanel's restore point app. Then test to make sure your KB lag is gone in both Windows and the live usb session. Then turn the wifi back on. If/when the lag reappears, the restore point app should reveal the update culprit which can then be blocked. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ