Static sound Acer Swift 3 - Ongoing Issues remain unresolved...Just want some support

Options

Answers

• Elbereth
    Elbereth Member Posts: 48 Troubleshooter
    Options
    @JackE ….do you mean this...?

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yes. I think you should try the updates for all three outdated sound drivers recommended by DriverBooster if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Elbereth
    Options
    @JackE ...Okay, will do that.  What is this 'Smart Sound Technology' further down the list...?

• JackE
    Options
    Replace that one as well and any other sound/audio devices it might've found among the 32 listed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Elbereth
    Options
    @JackE ...so I updated those four items and sadly the issue remains, am quite worried about it.  Is there anything else I can try...?
  • JackE
    Options
    Yes. But I need to know if the vendor sold this as a refurbished or a brand new machine? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Elbereth
    Options
    @JackE ...I bought this laptop brand new direct from Acer Store UK
  • JackE
    Options
    If you haven't done so already on this particular machine that you now have in hand, I suggest a full erase-everything ALT+F10 cold boot factory reset ASAP as mentioned earlier in this thread https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/669513/#Comment_669513
    I really don't think replacing the other remaining drivers 20+ drivers will make a difference.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, it is likely a sound hardware failure. I'm not sure how the UK store will handle this but if it were mine, I'd quickly request a brand new replacement if you've only had it for a few weeks with this problem. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Elbereth
    Options
    @JackE ...I will do a full factory reset and let you know the outcome. Acer Store UK said there is nothing they can do as I am out of the warranty exchange period... it would have to go in to the technical team for repair.  So frustrating to have such a serious issue with a brand new expensive laptop.
  • JackE
    Options
    Maybe too late for a store exchange or refund. But a new machine should still be covered by a one-year ACER warranty repair. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Elbereth
    Options
    @JackE ...I've already been through that process, Acer say they aren't aware of the issue and can't resolve it.  So, i am trying my best to cope with an under-performing laptop without getting too stressed.  Anyway, (before going down the factory reset route) i've discovered that if each time i log in i alter the advanced speaker properties settings from 24 bit to 16 bit the static crackling doesn't occur, obviously i should not have to do this, and it is not a long term solution, but curious nonetheless, would you know what this means..?

• madfry
    madfry Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    I don't have the exact same model, but my laptop is a SF315-55G that also has the Intel SST. For the first few weeks, it does have that crackling sound problem, but after I manually updated the drivers using the device manager, it has disappeared. 

• Elbereth
    Options
    @madfry ...i have tried updates but nothing is resolving the issue apart from speaker properties settings as explained in previous message.
  • madfry
    madfry Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    Ok. My honest opinion is, might as well send it in for warranty then. 

My unit, which is the SF314-55G had some crackling issues early on, but after several updates of the Realtek drivers, all done within the device manager, the issues sort of disappeared. In the case of my unit however, I did do a clean format, and downloaded almost nothing from the Acer website, letting Windows 10 download everything, including the BIOS update. 

Now everything works just fine, even the Intel SST mics can pick up my dictation (albeit with me speaking like an uptight snob) from several feet away, which was the whole point of the SST mics. 

If the crackling issues cannot be resolved in software, then the hardware may be at fault here.
  • JackE
    Options

You've actually hit upon the advanced speaker properties fix (or workaround as some call it) that have helped many users with audio distortion and artifactss including me with a Switch series machine. It had actually slipped my mind. Thanks for reminding me. The recommendation was in fact to reduce studio to either DVD or CD quality which is more in line with the actual output potential of the installed audio hardware and far beyond my own personal ability to discern the difference even with high-quality headphones. Frankly, to expect bona-fide studio quality output however it's defined --- at least for what my machine cost --- is unrealistic anyway. BTW, the setting shouldn't have to be re-done every time you log in.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Elbereth
    Options
    @JackE ...Thank you. Unfortunately i do have to alter/reactivate this setting every morning when i switch my laptop on so it still feels like i'm using an under performing machine.
    Also, even when the 16 bit setting is in place my laptop still crackles horribly when i have been away from it then lift the lid and when i sign in. 
    When i have the time and energy i will ring Acer again to see if they are still unaware of this issue...baffling!
  • JackE
    Options
    This is a long thread. The audio quality setting should not change like this on a reboot. Did you ever experiment with the Control Panel power button app to disable/enable fast boot.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Elbereth
    Options
    @JackE ...sorry i don't understand...?
  • JackE
    Options
    Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power button do' in the left pane. Click 'change settings that aren't currently available'. Scroll down and either check or uncheck the box for fast startup to enable or disable fast boot. Fast boot sometimes makes --- and sometimes fixes --- problems similar to this. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Elbereth
    Options
    @JackE ...thank you i will try that.