Helios 300 Overheating Help!!!

Tim10
Tim10 Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I've had the laptop for less than a year now and everything was working fine until about a week go when the fan starts to get really loud upon starting up. Normally it only gets loud and hot when I put on heavy programs like BF4 or Crysis but even for idling now the temperature sometimes goes up 80 and it's constantly going at 4000 rpm. It would specially gets hot in the area where the battery is located. I've opened up the thing and checked for any sort of dust building up but everything looks fine. What could be causing this?

Best Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,745 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    @Tim10
    There are few options to solve overheating like undervolting or applying thermal paste.
    so if you want to try those you can check the below link which would be helpful
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/515940/helios-300-cpu-undervolting
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/548081/undervolting-my-acer-predator-helios-300-both-cpu-and-gpu

Thermal paste Tips:
    Apply as little thermal paste as possible on the CPU die, just enough to cover the CPU die with a thin layer. With MX-4 I suggest you to use the pea method(apply a little drop of thermal paste in the middle of the CPU die and please heatsink on top. Apply little pressure on the heatsink, which will spread the thermal paste around the die), as it works best for this thermal paste. When repasting with kryonaut, follow the guide that comes with the thermal paste, again you want to apply as little as possible.

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Jack22
    Answer ✓
    @Tim10
    Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.

Answers

• Jack22
    Answer ✓
    @Tim10
    There are few options to solve overheating like undervolting or applying thermal paste.
    so if you want to try those you can check the below link which would be helpful
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/515940/helios-300-cpu-undervolting
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/548081/undervolting-my-acer-predator-helios-300-both-cpu-and-gpu

Thermal paste Tips:
    Apply as little thermal paste as possible on the CPU die, just enough to cover the CPU die with a thin layer. With MX-4 I suggest you to use the pea method(apply a little drop of thermal paste in the middle of the CPU die and please heatsink on top. Apply little pressure on the heatsink, which will spread the thermal paste around the die), as it works best for this thermal paste. When repasting with kryonaut, follow the guide that comes with the thermal paste, again you want to apply as little as possible.

• Jack22
    @Tim10
    May i know the temp you laptop as now?

• Jack22
    Answer ✓
    @Tim10
    Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.

• Tim10
    Tim10 Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Jack22 said:
    @Tim10

Jack22 said: Currently it's still high. But I just ordered some thermal paste
    @Tim10

So I tried undervolting and that seemed to do the trick, I haven't tried to change the thermal paste yet but for now the temperature went down and so did the noise

Cheers!