Undervolting my Acer Predator Helios 300 both CPU and GPU.

HK1994
HK1994 Member Posts: 43 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi fellow Predator users,
I have an Acer Predator Helios 300 for a few months now and I have followed the forum's FAQ to undervolt both my CPU and GPU,using the @Red-Sand Youtube guides.
The Performance profile:

The Battery profile:

The TPL(Turbo Power Limit):

The GTX 1060 stock performance/undervolt voltage following the @Red-Sand aka Hotel Hero on Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYW7ROFx2Kk

For the CPU undervolting,applied for both profiles:
1.The CPU core and the cache:-120.1 mV
2.The iGPU and System Cache:-65.4 mV

Am I using the optimal settings to control the temps of my laptop under heavy load?Is there any thing else I can do?I will provide any needed information.
Thanks beforehand.

Best Answer

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    HK1994 said:
    I have folllowed it too.And I haven't repasted mine so temps may get high a little bit.
    So this is optimal,right?Any more I can do?
    And why when undervolting the GPU,the first value of the stock performance/undervolt in your guide is 1455 but the program always sets it to 1506?
    Each GPU is slightly different and the first value differs between machines. It's normal. There is a faint ghost line in the background of the curve editor that when you adjust a value and hit apply if it jumps back to another value that you had not set... you will see that ghost line shift. If you keep manually moving to the value you want that ghost line will move further and further until that value sticks.

I would recommend doing the tweaks I applied in the windows optimization guide but checking in task schedules and services for programs YOU installed yourself. Just following the video and doing nothing else doesnt maximize optimization. Check for automatically updating software, programs that "monitor" like iobit software or ccleaner, ipod services (bonjour), torrent software, remove chrome or disable its 827364682 updating services etc. Even a program like Razer Cortex that's supposed to help improve performance... only degrades it. You want as little running as possible.
    Also disabling things like windows updates or Microsoft office updates will increase performance and remove "dips" in games because those programs check periodically.

To be honest I like geforce experience a lot.
    You can use its "optimize" feature to get the best possible graphics that can maintain your v sync fps rate.

If you use "whisper mode" then after its activated hit "optimize" you will notice graphics will be slightly lower then without whisper mode. This is because whisper mode (like its name) attempts to make your fans work as little as possible to maintain a quiet atmosphere all while maintaining decent graphic performance.

Additionally whisper mode caps your in game fps (different fps caps for each game) based on user feedback of what a game is playable at while having a lower fps. This also assists in lowering fan noise for the "whisper" experience.

Also in geforce experience is "battery optimization" mode. Which of enabled and then "optimize" is used, will lower graphic settings to help give the longest battery life possible. There is also a FPS slider on the battery optimization option to choose what you want to try to get.

I'd also like to note when whisper mode is enabled the most consistent fps auto applied is 40 fps.. which is fine for RPGs etc but for shooters not so much... you can go into your nvidia control panel with whisper mode activated and find the game you want the fps to increase on in the programs list and at the bottom change manually was fps is to be set as a cap.
    - Hotel Hero

Answers

• Red-Sand
    edited July 2018
    Additionally you can follow the Windows Optimization guide as it also reduces temps quite a bit.
    With the profiles your showing I never surpass 70 C no matter what i do which makes me think some background services are running on your system.
    - Hotel Hero
  • HK1994
    I have folllowed it too.And I haven't repasted mine so temps may get high a little bit.
    And why when undervolting the GPU,the first value of the stock performance/undervolt in your guide is 1455 but the program always sets it to 1506?
  • HK1994
    And in your opinion @Red-Sand,will you use the GeForce Experience.
  • Red-Sand
    Answer ✓
    HK1994 said:
    Each GPU is slightly different and the first value differs between machines. It's normal. There is a faint ghost line in the background of the curve editor that when you adjust a value and hit apply if it jumps back to another value that you had not set... you will see that ghost line shift. If you keep manually moving to the value you want that ghost line will move further and further until that value sticks.

I would recommend doing the tweaks I applied in the windows optimization guide but checking in task schedules and services for programs YOU installed yourself. Just following the video and doing nothing else doesnt maximize optimization. Check for automatically updating software, programs that "monitor" like iobit software or ccleaner, ipod services (bonjour), ***** software, remove chrome or disable its 827364682 updating services etc. Even a program like Razer Cortex that's supposed to help improve performance... only degrades it. You want as little running as possible.
    Also disabling things like windows updates or Microsoft office updates will increase performance and remove "dips" in games because those programs check periodically.

To be honest I like geforce experience a lot.
    You can use its "optimize" feature to get the best possible graphics that can maintain your v sync fps rate.

If you use "whisper mode" then after its activated hit "optimize" you will notice graphics will be slightly lower then without whisper mode. This is because whisper mode (like its name) attempts to make your fans work as little as possible to maintain a quiet atmosphere all while maintaining decent graphic performance.

Additionally whisper mode caps your in game fps (different fps caps for each game) based on user feedback of what a game is playable at while having a lower fps. This also assists in lowering fan noise for the "whisper" experience.

Also in geforce experience is "battery optimization" mode. Which of enabled and then "optimize" is used, will lower graphic settings to help give the longest battery life possible. There is also a FPS slider on the battery optimization option to choose what you want to try to get.

I'd also like to note when whisper mode is enabled the most consistent fps auto applied is 40 fps.. which is fine for RPGs etc but for shooters not so much... you can go into your nvidia control panel with whisper mode activated and find the game you want the fps to increase on in the programs list and at the bottom change manually was fps is to be set as a cap.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    HK1994 said:
    Alllll that said... I do not use geforce experience as my optimizations have made my system never surpass 68 C on CPU and 65 C on GPU. No matter what graphic settings I choose.
    - Hotel Hero
  • HK1994
    I am using the Windows 10 Pro 1803,can it increase the temps?
    And GeForce Experience has a HELL lot of servicces in the background.
    NVIDIA container(6 of them),NVIDIA ShadowPlay Helper,NVIDIA Share(3 of them),NVIDIA Web Helper Service.
    Is there anything I can do about it?
    And the PredatorSense services too.I am using the program to control the fan speeds so...will it be safe to turn them off?
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    HK1994 said:
    Remove that actually helped me :-)
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Red-Sand
    HK1994 said:
    I am using the Windows 10 Pro 1803,can it increase the temps?
    And GeForce Experience has a HELL lot of servicces in the background.
    NVIDIA container(6 of them),NVIDIA ShadowPlay Helper,NVIDIA Share(3 of them),NVIDIA Web Helper Service.
    Is there anything I can do about it?
    And the PredatorSense services too.I am using the program to control the fan speeds so...will it be safe to turn them off?
    I have all of those services running with a 0% CPU idle... lol
    - Hotel Hero
  • HK1994
    Memory wise,all of them consume around ~150MB.
    What about the Windows 10 versions,do they affect anything?
  • Red-Sand
    edited July 2018
    *Edit removed*
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    If you mean the Windows Releases then no.. not for me anyway. I'm on the latest everything and I have zero issues. 
    BUT I have heard that the 1709 works best (the one that shipped with the laptop) from many people.
    - Hotel Hero
  • HK1994
    What's your personal settings?For undervolting?
    And will you consider releasing newer version of the Windows optimization guide?
  • Red-Sand
    HK1994 said:
    What's your personal settings?For undervolting?
    And will you consider releasing newer version of the Windows optimization guide?
    If you follow the throttlestop remix video but do not set Turbo Ratio Limits to 32 & just leave them default then that's my settings. I have a second profile I use for benchmarking where everything is the same as I mentioned except I set speed shift epp to 0 which allows all the logical processors to operate at 3.8ghz.

I am in the process of making many new videos.
    A detailed explanation of throttlestop and all its features.
    A detailed explanation on Msi afterburner and its features.
    A detailed windows optimization guide. 
    BIOs unlocking
    IC graphite application
    eGPU port creation
    And a few others, unfortunately it's going a bit slow as I've had some family issues come up and its hindered my progress. Will be getting them out asap.
    - Hotel Hero
  • HK1994
    Great!Hope that you will make it through and release those videos soon.
    Are you currently using the Dolby Audio software to tune the sounds and if I turned off the program,will the profile I chose will stick?
  • Red-Sand
    edited July 2018
    HK1q994 said:
    Are you currently using the Dolby Audio software to tune the sounds and if I turned off the program,will the profile I chose will stick?
    I do use the Dolby feature.
    If you turn it off the profiles will not stick, you will see a small Dolby icon in the system tray when its activate.
    Keep in mind for some games their built in audio engine automatically disables Dolby, this is normal.
    - Hotel Hero
  • iskandarluqman
    iskandarluqman Member Posts: 4 New User
    Red-Sand said:
    HK1q994 said:
    If you turn it off the profiles will not stick, you will see a small Dolby icon in the system tray when its activate.
    Keep in mind for some games their built in audio engine automatically disables Dolby, this is normal.
    Hey guys. How do I undervolt my Acer Predator Helios 300 with i5-8400H and GTX 1060 6GB? Currently browsing on the Internet alone can reach 70C. Please help. Based on Red-Sand tutorial, it is for i7-7700HQ. Any chance for my laptop specs as well? Thank you
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited February 2019
    Red-Sand said:
    HK1q994 said:
    Hey guys. How do I undervolt my Acer Predator Helios 300 with i5-8400H and GTX 1060 6GB? Currently browsing on the Internet alone can reach 70C. Please help. Based on Red-Sand tutorial, it is for i7-7700HQ. Any chance for my laptop specs as well? Thank you
    I used the values of the remix video on mine and its working fine for 1 year now didn't feel the need to change anything so far just start with the video values and check it if its stable its a trial and error there is no fixed values same cpu/gpu might support more or less undervolt its the silicone lottery u'll never know untill u try it

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• iskandarluqman
    iskandarluqman Member Posts: 4 New User
    xapim said:
    Red-Sand said:
    HK1q994 said:
    I used the values of the remix video on mine and its working fine for 1 year now didn't feel the need to change anything so far just start with the video values and check it if its stable its a trial and error there is no fixed values same cpu/gpu might support more or less undervolt its the silicone lottery u'll never know untill u try it
    I see, thank you. I'm just too scared to try to be honest. Especially when it is not for my CPU xD I guess I will give it a go. By the way, what do you mean by the remix video? Can you send the link? Or you mean this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=nYW7ROFx2Kk? I need to try to win this lottery :P So just to be confirm, it that the video? Which used i7-7700HQ? Thank you
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Shaneohio21
    Shaneohio21 Member Posts: 1 New User
    ok I just ok I just bought the 300 i7-9750H GTX1660ti what video do I follow to maximize my performance on this laptop