Helios 300 CPU Undervolting

Timberrythick
Timberrythick Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Is it necessary to undervolt? I've had this laptop for 3 weeks now, everything is somewhat totally fine (My BIOS version is 1.05 and my Nvidia Drivers is the stock drivers which came in with the laptop) but I have one thing that bothers me when playing video games, It's the temperature. I'm not sure if these temperatures are okay or not but when I'm playing any game with Vsync OFF, the temperature for CPU stays around 80-90C and GPU is around 70C maxes out at 79C. Sometimes it reaches around 90C for the CPU but doesn't stay there for quite long. When Vsync is ON while I'm playing, The numbers reduces around by 10-15C. I haven't experienced any thermal throttling so far. Is this normal? The average temperature in my city is around 60-70C. Should I undervolt my CPU?

Best Answer

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Timberrythick wrote:
    Is it necessary to undervolt? I've had this laptop for 3 weeks now, everything is somewhat totally fine (My BIOS version is 1.05 and my Nvidia Drivers is the stock drivers which came in with the laptop) but I have one thing that bothers me when playing video games, It's the temperature. I'm not sure if these temperatures are okay or not but when I'm playing any game with Vsync OFF, the temperature for CPU stays around 80-90C and GPU is around 70C maxes out at 79C. Sometimes it reaches around 90C for the CPU but doesn't stay there for quite long. When Vsync is ON while I'm playing, The numbers reduces around by 10-15C. I haven't experienced any thermal throttling so far. Is this normal? The average temperature in my city is around 60-70C. Should I undervolt my CPU?

Try a -0.100 undervolt and see how it works for you. Undervolting is free and easy and it will help your laptop stay cooler and last longer. The only bad thing that can happen is your laptop will crash and once you reboot it will be back to normal, this is unlikely but it can happen since all chips have different tolerances. Also there is no hit to performance at all. Is there any reason specifically you're leaving Vsync off? I would just leave it on for most games esp if it brings temps down.

Your temps are perfectly normal with a gaming laptop but it's always good to have them lower if possible.

Answers

• Flx
    Answer ✓

Timberrythick wrote:

Try a -0.100 undervolt and see how it works for you. Undervolting is free and easy and it will help your laptop stay cooler and last longer. The only bad thing that can happen is your laptop will crash and once you reboot it will be back to normal, this is unlikely but it can happen since all chips have different tolerances. Also there is no hit to performance at all. Is there any reason specifically you're leaving Vsync off? I would just leave it on for most games esp if it brings temps down.

Your temps are perfectly normal with a gaming laptop but it's always good to have them lower if possible.

• Timberrythick

Tinkerer

I haven't experienced any crashing for this laptop thankfully. So crashing is normal when undervolted? I leave Vsync Off to get the extra fps but when I realized that when turning it on the temperature reduces, I never leave it off. Thank you for your reply. Might you recommend any particular ways of undervolting CPU besides Intel XTU? Something safer I guess?
  • Flx

Timberrythick wrote:
    I haven't experienced any crashing for this laptop thankfully. So crashing is normal when undervolted? I leave Vsync Off to get the extra fps but when I realized that when turning it on the temperature reduces, I never leave it off. Thank you for your reply. Might you recommend any particular ways of undervolting CPU besides Intel XTU? Something safer I guess?

No crashing is not normal and I wouldn't expect it, just giving you an idea of what could potentially go wrong and how to deal with it. I haven't experienced any crashes myself and have been undervolting for 2-3 weeks now. I would just keep leaving Vsync on like you are, theres no point really to get extra frames unless you were playing something like CS:GO perhaps. Throttlestop is good from what I hear and lots of people suggest it, but I haven't used it personally as Intel XTU has been working flawlessly for me.

• Timberrythick

Tinkerer

I understand. Thank you for your help. I'll consider this as a solution for this topic.
  • Flx

Timberrythick wrote:
    I understand. Thank you for your help. I'll consider this as a solution for this topic.

Sure thing if you have any more questions feel free to ask! I'll try to help to my best ability

• Timberrythick

Tinkerer

Okay last question. Is it necessary to update the Nvidia drivers even if no problems occur? I have the stock version that came with the laptop. Any game that I've installed and play runs. Specifically like Doom, Prey, Witcher 3, Doshonored 2, PUBG.
  • Flx

Timberrythick wrote:
    Okay last question. Is it necessary to update the Nvidia drivers even if no problems occur? I have the stock version that came with the laptop. Any game that I've installed and play runs. Specifically like Doom, Prey, Witcher 3, Doshonored 2, PUBG.

If everything is working fine then I'd just leave it alone personally.

• Timberrythick

Tinkerer

Thank you!
  • vicodinhit
    vicodinhit Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Hey Flx

I checked out a video by Galaxy Tech Review on youtube who recommends an undervolting the core by -0.110V ,which he says is stable for the Helios 300. Would you recommend this or stick with -0.100V? Please let me know your opinion. 

Thanks!

• Flx

vicodinhit wrote:

Hey Flx

I checked out a video by Galaxy Tech Review on youtube who recommends an undervolting the core by -0.110V ,which he says is stable for the Helios 300. Would you recommend this or stick with -0.100V? Please let me know your opinion. 

Thanks!

Yea you can do -0.110 that is okay. I am at -0.120 atm and some people have pushed it further. Some chips can undervolt more than others. If your chip doesn't like it you will have a crash but just put reboot and put it back to -0.100 and call it a day. If you don't crash while gaming then you're fine.

• Jaanam123
    Jaanam123 Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

Hey Can someone help me with undervolting i am using throttlestop at offset -125.0 at this setting i was getting perfect temperatures but after that my system crashed and restarted. Can anybody suggest some stable offsets to me .its my first time undervolting so i m noob to this and throttlestop
  • Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    You can either back off to -100mV or increase the CPU Core & Cache voltage's in 5mV steps from the current 125mV until the system is stable.  Just bear in mind that a heavy crash can result in you needing to reinstall the system, so be backed up first and foremost.

The obvious is that you want to reduce temperature, equally I would establish what the average CPU temperature is under heavy loads, not the peak value.  I would test the system with realistic loads, not synthetic benchmarks, if not exceeding 85C and or fan noise not intrusive I'd be inclined to leave the system be.

Every CPU Is unique a 7th Gen 7700HQ should generally handle a -100Mv undervolt (Core & Cache) some can go more, had an MSI GE65VR that would run perfectly with -140mV undervolt.

Q-6

• humm00
    humm00 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi, i have a problem. I undervolted my predator helios 300 and temperatures became better while gaming, but recently it doesnt seem to be working anymore? Meaning the temps have gone back up. Lowering the voltage would just cause the laptop to crash. Is there a remedy to this?
  • syahrulnizr
    syahrulnizr Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi, i played witcher 3 on my helios 300 but temperature still hit 80-90. I undervolt my laptop by -0.135V max or it will crash. I use intel XTU to undervolt. did i do something wrong that it not working? Please help me and thanks btw
  • Njmithari
    Njmithari Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited December 2018
    I have predator helios i5 8th gen with gtx 1050ti 
    Can anyone tell mi at what amount should i undervolt ? And which is better intel XTU or throttle stop ??
    Please help..
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Intel Extreme Tuning Utility is offered my Intel, who makes the chips. Throttlestop is a 3rd party software. It really comes down to preference and what you think you need. Throttlestop has more features/options, but many are for advanced use and most users will be lost. XTU is simplified and for me much easier to use. I have mine set to load on log-on, very simple.

When it comes to undervolting, suggestions are kind of useless. Someone with the exact same CPU as you might be totally stable at -0.135v, and your chip might crash repeatedly. It's totally possible that ambient temperatures between you and the next forum user are 10-15C variance (or more), which will have a huge effect on overall performance. The best way to find your stable undervolt is to set and test. Make one single change, and then stress test the system thoroughly. If you make more than one change at a time, and then experience a crash, it will be harder to determine what change caused the instability.

• Mind_freezer
    Mind_freezer Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hey can anybody tell me I am. In great doubt whether to buy Acer predator helious 300 i5 8th gen with Nvidia geforGe GTX 1050 ti because I heard and seen some reviews that while gaming for less than 30 minutes it started overheating up to 90 degree C and above. I am a casual gamers I am buying only these laptop for playing fortnite and pubg so if I undervolt my CPU does my temperature will go below 80 degree C so kindly pls help me whether it's is possible or not?
  • CaptainFlint
    CaptainFlint Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hey can anybody tell me I am. In great doubt whether to buy Acer predator helious 300 i5 8th gen with Nvidia geforGe GTX 1050 ti because I heard and seen some reviews that while gaming for less than 30 minutes it started overheating up to 90 degree C and above. I am a casual gamers I am buying only these laptop for playing fortnite and pubg so if I undervolt my CPU does my temperature will go below 80 degree C so kindly pls help me whether it's is possible or not?
    Iam so saddened by the lack of interaction on this sub about what should be done and not. I purchased the same variant as you have mentioned but literally no help about why does it heat up so much and i haven't found a single answer that is specific about the route to follow in order to solve the ovrheating problem. Undervoting through xtu on this variant has no video's or answers and everyone seems to be talking all the time about the i7 variant. No one is going to help you for this variant and i suggest you buy a different laptop

• Swaran200
    Swaran200 Member Posts: 9 New User
    Hey My Helios 300 ( i7 7700 , gtx 1060 6 gb ) about 6 months old
    Reaches upto 96 and stays at average 90 degrees . what to do. I can roast a chicken on this laptop. Please help
    I owned a Lenovo y50 previously and did heavy gaming on it for 3 years , never had such massive heating issues ...
    Someone help me
    I heard about undervolting
    but what should i undervolt ? cpu or gpu ? and how ?
    I have seen many posts and videos
    some are undervolting cpu while others gpu
    Was buying this laptop a mistake ?
    will i ever be able to play games smoothly again ?
  • Wolfgoku
    Wolfgoku Member Posts: 1 New User
    Iam so saddened by the lack of interaction on this sub about what should be done and not. I purchased the same variant as you have mentioned but literally no help about why does it heat up so much and i haven't found a single answer that is specific about the route to follow in order to solve the ovrheating problem. Undervoting through xtu on this variant has no video's or answers and everyone seems to be talking all the time about the i7 variant. No one is going to help you for this variant and i suggest you buy a different laptop

Well I understand what you say 
    I did so much research and well I just used intel xtu and I kept my core to -0.140V my cache also to -0.140V and my graphic to -0.110V 
    I ran a 5 min stress test and it peaked till 89 before it was peaking at 96 so a small improvement but I'll get to know whether this is safe or not when gaming so just crossed my fingers and hoping for the best