Some issues I am facing Predator G9-591

AAAZZAAAMM
AAAZZAAAMM Member Posts: 59 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hey I have a Predator G9-591. Intel i7 6700hq and GTX 980m. Its about 3 years old. 
Now the problems I am having is the cpu over heating about 95 degrees when I game. I know thats not usual. I had a nitro 5 and even that didnt over heat this bad. Another issue is restarting the computer. When i restart occasionally it just goes into a black screen and doesnt start up. This happens every now and then and I must shut it down and start again. 
But my main issue is with the cpu overheating. Is there any thing I can do to avoid such high temps? I also tried disabling turbo boost by using throttlestop still the temps are at 95 when gaming. 
Oh and when I am just browsing, working on it or just watching youtube the temp range between 60-70. 
I updated all drivers and bios and anything I could think of. 

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,652 Pathfinder
    @AAAZZAAAMM
    Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Jack22
    @AAAZZAAAMM
    Regarding the laptop getting restarted please try the below step:

power drain: Just check the back of the unit, you can find a pin hole , unplug the charger and turn off the unit. now put a paper clip in the small pin hole and press and hold it for 30 sec.
    BIOS default: After power drain is done, power on the unit, but as soon as you power on the unit keep pressing the F2 key so that it take you to BIOS page. Press F9 and press Enter than press F10 and press Enter. the unit will restart

• AAAZZAAAMM
    Jack22 said:
    @AAAZZAAAMM
    Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.

Hey thanks for replying so quick. But the problem is the gaming is lagging. I am getting crazy stutters and drops in fps in game and fifa become unplayable. 
  • Jack22
    @AAAZZAAAMM
    What display driver are you currently using?

• AAAZZAAAMM
    Jack22 said:
    @AAAZZAAAMM
    What display driver are you currently using?

Could be a little precise? I havent checked any versions, just updated all the drivers to the latest one available. If you mean which graphics version then its, Intel Hd graphics driver version 20.19.15.4352
  • Jack22
    @AAAZZAAAMM
    May i have the model number of your laptop?

• AAAZZAAAMM
    edited February 2019
    Jack22 said:
    @AAAZZAAAMM
    May i have the model number of your laptop?

• Predator 15 G9-591-70XR Notebook
    • Part number NX.Q05AA.00 
  • Jack22
    @AAZZAAMM
    The graphics driver must be from NVIDIA. So could you roll back the driver to a little older version and check pls.

• AAAZZAAAMM
    edited February 2019
    Jack22 said:
    @AAZZAAMM
    The graphics driver must be from NVIDIA. So could you roll back the driver to a little older version and check pls.

Nvidia driver version 25.21.14.1881..
    Do you want me to install the one from the website and then try it without updating?
  • Jack22
    @AAZZAAMM
    Try to update your NVIDIA graphics to the latest one

• AAAZZAAAMM
    Jack22 said:
    @AAZZAAMM

I do have the latest drivers. 
  • Jack22
    Jack22 said:
    @AAZZAAMM

I do have the latest drivers. 
    Try to roll back the driver and check
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    After 3 years of usage the thermal paste most likely has gotten dry and has lost its ability to conduct heat, which means you have to repaste the CPU and GPU. I suggest you to use a high quality thermal paste like arctic MX-4 and thermal grizzly kryonaut.

About the black screen issue after restart have you tried installing different graphics drivers from Intel and Nvidia?
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited February 2019
    Hey brother, the issue is your thermal paste.
    Thermal paste dries out about 1.5 years after usage (Especially on gaming hardware that gets hotter then normal machines)
    I opened my G9-793 and had to repaste after 1.5 years cause paste was dry making it overheat.
    - Hotel Hero
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder

There is no reason to double post. Creating multiple posts will create confusion that will do you worse.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   

• AAAZZAAAMM
    Red-Sand said:
    Hey brother, the issue is your thermal paste.
    Thermal paste dries out about 1.5 years after usage (Especially on gaming hardware that gets hotter then normal machines)
    I opened my G9-793 and had to repaste after 1.5 years cause paste was dry making it overheat.
    Hey, thanks for the reply. Ya i guessed it was the thermal paste since everything else works perfectly fine and the cpu isnt even being used that much. Thanks I will try and install some new paste. 
  • AAAZZAAAMM
    ven98 said:
    After 3 years of usage the thermal paste most likely has gotten dry and has lost its ability to conduct heat, which means you have to repaste the CPU and GPU. I suggest you to use a high quality thermal paste like arctic MX-4 and thermal grizzly kryonaut.

About the black screen issue after restart have you tried installing different graphics drivers from Intel and Nvidia?
    Hey thanks for replying. Ya i most probably have to reappply the thermal paste. I will do it soon. 
    For the black screen I havent actually, I always install the latest updates. But someone told me to do a battery reset and so far it didnt happen, so if it happens again I will try installing some older drivers
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited February 2019
    @AAAZZAAAMM it's recommended to repaste once per year or so on gaming laptops as the thermal paste suffers a lot due to the high performance cpu/gpu's and the stock paste is even worse i would repaste it with a good thermal paste like kryonaut for ex i repasted mine in the first week i got it

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• AAAZZAAAMM
    edited February 2019

xapim said:
    @AAAZZAAAMM it's recommended to repaste once per year or so on gaming laptops as the thermal paste suffers a lot due to the high performance cpu/gpu's and the stock paste is even worse i would repaste it with a good thermal paste like kryonaut for ex i repasted mine in the first week i got it

Hey so today I tried doing a few things including undervolting and runnning bunch of tests. 
    Conclusion, I think the problem is the gpu but I dont know if the gpu is gone bad or is it overheating. 
    SO I was playing fifa 18 and after just like 3-5 minutes of gaming I am seeing drops in frames to about 30-35 fps. On league of legends which I play extensively after a while of gaming I get around 50-60 fps. Both at max settings. 
    Can someone assist me different ways I can check for the gpu health? Or new paste is needed? 
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited February 2019
    You cannot check gpu/cpu health the gpu/cpu either works or not its the silicon lottery the issue here is it seems you are having thermal issues check your temps

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/