13»

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,735 Pathfinder
    AlexWU said:
    sri369 said:
    AlexWU said:
    sri369 said:
    Disable windows update from updating drivers. Install clean version of nvidia drivers. That should handle everything.
    Also, check the date stamp... that's over a couple months old!
    Ahh thats the first time stamp LOL i just did clean install (if i do it correctly: uninstall whole device and reinstall[the default one] with the VGA from Acer site). But I am not sure how could I disable the windows update from updating my GPU drivers. Its not stopping windows updates right?

Nah. There would be an option for enabling windows to update drivers and another option for updating other software too. Disable the one for drivers.

Link below describes how to do this:
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

I just did the clean installation and disabled windows from updating my driver but the device manager still has the '... requires further installation' thing.
    Don't bother about that. Try heaven benchmark on full screen ultra and keep it going for about 30-40 mins n see if it again crashes.
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
  • AlexWU
    AlexWU Member Posts: 26 Troubleshooter
    sri369 said:
    AlexWU said:
    sri369 said:
    AlexWU said:
    sri369 said:
    Disable windows update from updating drivers. Install clean version of nvidia drivers. That should handle everything.
    Ahh thats the first time stamp LOL i just did clean install (if i do it correctly: uninstall whole device and reinstall[the default one] with the VGA from Acer site). But I am not sure how could I disable the windows update from updating my GPU drivers. Its not stopping windows updates right?

Nah. There would be an option for enabling windows to update drivers and another option for updating other software too. Disable the one for drivers.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

I just did the clean installation and disabled windows from updating my driver but the device manager still has the '... requires further installation' thing.
    Don't bother about that. Try heaven benchmark on full screen ultra and keep it going for about 30-40 mins n see if it again crashes.
    Just tested for more than two hours no BSOD max temp 71. By the way should I update Geforce game ready driver then?
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,253 Pathfinder
    edited January 2019
    AlexWU said:
    sri369 said:
    AlexWU said:
    sri369 said:
    AlexWU said:
    sri369 said:

Just tested for more than two hours no BSOD max temp 71. By the way should I update Geforce game ready driver then?
    If you don't have issues with the current driver you are using don't upgrade and disable GE updating it

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• sri369
    AlexWU said:
    sri369 said:
    AlexWU said:
    sri369 said:
    AlexWU said:
    sri369 said:

NO!!!!
    NEVER TOUCH ANYTHING THAT IS NOT BROKEN!

You finally seem to have resolved your issue, enjoy it this way. Personally, I do not update my drivers unless needed. Sometimes it could be over an year. For major ones like display, I still wait over 6 months at the very least between updating, unless the current one is causing issues.

And before anything else, install a freeware disk imaging software like Macrium and take a backup of it regularly, preferably atleast once a month; this would help you restore instead of cleaning and updating painfully every time.
    If possible, defer/disable all feature updates by 90 days at the very least. You do not really need them! Security, defer by about a week or two, and this delay is purely based on how crappy window 10 updates are of late and breaking systems.
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
  • AlexWU
    sri369 said:
    NO!!!! 
    NEVER TOUCH ANYTHING THAT IS NOT BROKEN!

You finally seem to have resolved your issue, enjoy it this way. Personally, I do not update my drivers unless needed. Sometimes it could be over an year. For major ones like display, I still wait over 6 months at the very least between updating, unless the current one is causing issues.

And before anything else, install a freeware disk imaging software like Macrium and take a backup of it regularly, preferably atleast once a month; this would help you restore instead of cleaning and updating painfully every time.
    If possible, defer/disable all feature updates by 90 days at the very least. You do not really need them! Security, defer by about a week or two, and this delay is purely based on how crappy window 10 updates are of late and breaking systems.
    I see🤔 i think i wont do many updates if I successfully solve the issue this time. Same as before i will keep updating if there is another BSOD and lets wait for a week or two.

I will also try to install the software later, i work as a backup to directly reverse my driver back to the saved form right.

Also, did u mean that i should stop windows itself from updating to prevent any update from breaking the system again?
  • sri369
    AlexWU said:
    I see🤔 i think i wont do many updates if I successfully solve the issue this time. Same as before i will keep updating if there is another BSOD and lets wait for a week or two.

I will also try to install the software later, i work as a backup to directly reverse my driver back to the saved form right.

Also, did u mean that i should stop windows itself from updating to prevent any update from breaking the system again?
    1. Okay. But running CPU and GPU benchmark for over 2 hours straight should strain enough, and if it goes through that, you should be good.

2. No. This is more like system image. You create backups at regular intervals. You can restore your last backup from when you backed it up, not the night before.
    You shouldn't be needing to update drivers and such even monthly for that matter. My system was clean installed in September last. Display driver updated in October some time. Been the same since. No updates to system drivers.

3. Yes. There are many ways of doing this. You can defer updates.
    Before you try any of these, first step, take a disk image first... pretty much immediately. And if possible, schedule one on a monthly basis.

Also, I am considering your windows partition to be around 80-120 GB and rest in a different partition. This helps isolate windows and install-able software like office and such from rest of your documents. Also, you can move your documents outside of windows partition so they are safe even if windows becomes irrecoverable.

-----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
  • AlexWU
    sri369 said:
    AlexWU said:

1. Okay. But running CPU and GPU benchmark for over 2 hours straight should strain enough, and if it goes through that, you should be good.

2. No. This is more like system image. You create backups at regular intervals. You can restore your last backup from when you backed it up, not the night before.
    You shouldn't be needing to update drivers and such even monthly for that matter. My system was clean installed in September last. Display driver updated in October some time. Been the same since. No updates to system drivers.

3. Yes. There are many ways of doing this. You can defer updates.
    Before you try any of these, first step, take a disk image first... pretty much immediately. And if possible, schedule one on a monthly basis.

Also, I am considering your windows partition to be around 80-120 GB and rest in a different partition. This helps isolate windows and install-able software like office and such from rest of your documents. Also, you can move your documents outside of windows partition so they are safe even if windows becomes irrecoverable.

I only ran heaven benchmark for two hours, didnt specifically do a CPU benchmark test. But it is good to observe a little bit longer because I have seen too many different BSOD code for this computer already lol. 

I just installed the free version of it and set plan of monthly full image and weekly differential backup, I guess it should be fine (hope I dont need to use those backups).

I tried to stop the autoupdate by doing some staff in registry following the steps I searched online, lets see if it works.

Umm for the partition part I usually put all my game files or important file out of the windows drive and I think I tried to do clean install of windows only on the windows drive a few months before using Acer care software which wouldn't touch other drive, I do not have that much drive like you though lol 
  • sri369
    AlexWU said:

I only ran heaven benchmark for two hours, didnt specifically do a CPU benchmark test. But it is good to observe a little bit longer because I have seen too many different BSOD code for this computer already lol. 

I just installed the free version of it and set plan of monthly full image and weekly differential backup, I guess it should be fine (hope I dont need to use those backups).

I tried to stop the autoupdate by doing some staff in registry following the steps I searched online, lets see if it works.

Umm for the partition part I usually put all my game files or important file out of the windows drive and I think I tried to do clean install of windows only on the windows drive a few months before using Acer care software which wouldn't touch other drive, I do not have that much drive like you though lol 
    4 drives:
    Primary SSD --> 120 windows + 350 games
    Secondary HDD --> Videos + Data + Backups

Doing this helps restrict data loss to that particular partition/disk.
    Also, if an SSD fails, data on it is pretty much a goner; this is why my secondary is a normal spinner hard disk.

At the very minimum, keep windows separate from others, including games (pretty means only windows). This will keep losses restricted to just windows re-installation and basic stuff restoration.
    Data... I would never recommend even on the same hard disk as windows be it even be a different partition, esp when it is an SSD.
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful