Windows 8 product key Acer E1-570

Options
Awaiz
Awaiz Member Posts: 38

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have a Acer E1-570 with preinstalled Windows 8 OS. My wife tried to install a wi-fi booster device and since then the OS is not booting. I tried several things like changing the order of boot device in BIOS, typing F2/F10 etc while loading but the OS simply does not boot. I am thinking of buying the Windows repair USB/CD from amazon but was wondering if I will need the Windows 8 product key after the repair ? Since the laptop came with the inbuilt OS, should I be asking Acer to provide the product key ?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Best Answers

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options
    The Windows product key is now embedded on a mainboard chip. You don't need the key to re-install Windows. If in the US or Canada you may purchase the original factory installation USB or DVD from ACER for about $46. https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Awaiz

Tinkerer

Options
    Ok excellent - thanks.
    I am in the UK so I will search for the product in the UK store.
  • JackE
    edited December 2018 Answer ✓
    Options

Jack E/NJ

• Awaiz

Tinkerer

Options
    I got the usb delivered but my laptop is not able to read it. I have started another thread 
  • JackE
    Options
    Please stay on this thread or a new thread will rehash some of the same things again with other users who are unfamiliar with this thread. Where did you get the USB from? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Awaiz

Tinkerer

Options
    I got it from software repair world site that you suggested . My laptop simply won’t recognise it, tried several options with bios. I plugged it into another working PC , it showed up as drive ‘d’ but I was unable to view the contents of the drive ( right click -open said it needs to be formatted etc ). Not sure if it is supposed to show the contents . I have written to the company asking for advice. 
  • Awaiz

Tinkerer

Options
    I got the usb replaced. Now I can boot from usb. I chose ‘install’ and it is asking for a product key !! I can’t proceed without giving a valid product key... any ideas ?

• JackE
    Options
    Is there a Windows sticker with a serial number anywhere on the machine or the installation media?  If not, does the install stick have advanced options menu to get to a command prompt? If you can get to a command prompt, enter "wmic os get serialnumber" without the quotes. The result is the OEM product key. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Awaiz

Tinkerer

Options
    There is a windows 8 logo at the back but no serial number . I trending the command you gave me ..it just returned text ‘serial number’ with no serial number ..
  • Awaiz

Tinkerer

Options
    I got into the wmic prompt and gave ‘os get’.. I can see values for build number , build type etc but nothing for serial number 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Download for productkey here: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/produkey-x64.zip
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Awaiz

Tinkerer

Options
    There is no product key at the back of laptop. I also tried running the ‘wmic os get serialnumber’ command but it does not return any product key ...
  • JackE
    Options
    What does wmic command return? An error message? Or command not found? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Awaiz

Tinkerer

Options
    It appears I am accessing the usb drive only and not the os partition hence this command does not return anything ..I am accessing the command prompt from boot via usb-> repair option 
  • JackE
    Options
    No, wmic should read the OEM key from the mainboard, not the HDD partitions. Try "wmic bios get serialnumber" without the quotes. This should return the machine's serial number id (SNID). Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Awaiz

Tinkerer

Options
    This returns the serial number for the bios 
  • JackE
    Options
    Try 'wmic os get serialnumber' again' without the quotes. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Awaiz

Tinkerer

Options
    It returns ‘SerialNumber’ and then a line of space but not the serial number. I am able to list other information like build type, build number etc but not the serial number 
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
  • Awaiz

Tinkerer

Options
    First one worked !! Now it cannot detect a drive for the install ..I only have option to load driver ..looking for the CD