Answers

• Awaiz
    Awaiz Member Posts: 38

Tinkerer

Now I need a storage driver .. it is not accepting the CD that I have 
  • Awaiz

Tinkerer

Now it is not taking the drivers from the CD ..it says ‘make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers’
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,780 Trailblazer
    Do you have only one CD? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Awaiz

Tinkerer

I think I don't have the correct CD so I downloaded the drivers from the WD site. I tried several drivers but the installer is not recognizing any of them. My HDD variant is wdc wd10jpvx-22jc3t0

• JackE
    >>>Now it cannot detect a drive for the install >>>

This is the problem, not the HDD driver. It's a plain vanilla HDD. I suspect the BIOS either can't see the HDD or the BIOS is set to the wrong mode. Shut the machine completely off. Then turn it back on again and immediately start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. Make sure the HDD is fully recognized in the BIOS info tab. If it is, then check to if the Boot tab indicates either UEFI or Legacy mode. Then make sure both the F12 and D2D options are enabled in the BIOS main tab. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Awaiz

Tinkerer

I went into BIOS
    In the 'Information' Tab, I can see the details of HDD (HDD Model Name, HDD Serial Number).
    In the 'Main' tab, I can see F12 boot menu is enabled and D2D recovery is enabled and SATA Mode is set to 'AHCI Mode'
    In the 'Boot' tab, the boot mode is set to 'UEFI'

I tried to change the SATA Mode to 'IDE Mode' and the drive appeared during install but the installer could not install windows on it. I tried to cleanup the disk using 'diskpart' , although it said clean successful, it still could not install windows.
  • JackE
    edited December 2018
    >>>My wife tried to install a wi-fi booster device and since then the OS is not booting>>>
    Not exactly sure what this booster was supposed to do but either it caused low level HDD corruption or the installation CD itself has an issue. In either case, the BIOS HDD must be set to SATA mode, not IDE. If you can get to the diskpart> command line, follow these steps.

DISKPART> list disk
    DISKPART> select disk #
    DISKPART> clean
    DISKPART> convert gpt
    DISKPART> create partition primary
    DISKPART> select part 1
    DISKPART> active
    DISKPART> format fs=ntfs quick
    DISKPART> assign letter C
    DISKPART> exit

Then try to install it again.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Awaiz

Tinkerer

Bios hdd is set to ‘ahci’ mode ... DiskPart does not list the drive at all 
  • JackE
    >>>I tried to cleanup the disk using 'diskpart' , although it said clean successful, it still could not install windows.>>>
    >>>DiskPart does not list the drive at all  >>>

What did you try to do here? How did you try to do it? Can you get to the diskpart> prompt? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Awaiz

Tinkerer

I booted the laptop using usb and went into command prompt via the repair menu. The list disk only lists one disk ( disk 0) which is my external usb 
  • JackE
    Yes, but you said earlier >>>I tried to cleanup the disk using 'diskpart' , although it said clean successful, it still could not install windows.>>>.

What did you do earlier to think that you cleaned the HDD? What diskpart command sequence did you use to select and operate on the HDD? I'd also like to know a bit more about your wife's attempt to install a wifi booster device. What precisely was this device and where did she get it from? What device drivers did she use?

The BIOS menu settings and diskpart behavior are totally inconsistent. We need to re-enter the BIOS menu with the F2 key and your BIOS menu supervisor password. Does the BIOS Information tab still fully recognize the HDD? Is secure boot disabled in the Boot tab? Does the HDD show up in the Boot tab along with your USB installation stick? What BIOS version number is listed on the Information tab? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Awaiz

Tinkerer

edited January 2019
    Yes, but you said earlier >>>I tried to cleanup the disk using 'diskpart' , although it said clean successful, it still could not install windows.>>>.
    Yes - when I boot the laptop with SATA mode set to 'IDE mode'(in the main tab), the the hard disk appears.
    I went to
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 1
    clean
    create partition --- this command failed

I'd also like to know a bit more about your wife's attempt ....
    it an external USB wi-fi booster. It ran a setup wizard automatically, hung the OS and since then I have this problem

BIOS info - I have attached the screens shots

[Edited to remove the unit's S/N - Acer-Jose]

• JackE
    >>>create partition --- this command failed >>>

Aye! Please note that it was 'create partitilon primary'. So let's go back and set the BIOS Main tab SATA option to whatever mode that allows diskpart to see the drive. Then re-do the diskpart sequence shown below.

DISKPART> list disk
    DISKPART> select disk #
    DISKPART> clean
    DISKPART> convert gpt
    DISKPART> create partition primary
    DISKPART> select part 1
    DISKPART> active
    DISKPART> format fs=ntfs quick
    DISKPART> assign letter C
    DISKPART> exit

If diskpart fails at any step, let us know before exiting diskpart.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Awaiz

Tinkerer

Ok here you go...
    list disk >> lists 2 disks hard disk ( disk0) and external usb(disk1)
    select disk 0
    clean > “suceceeded in cleaning the disk “
    convert gpt > “ the request could not be performed because of an l/o device error” see system log for more information 
  • I'm thinking your hd is in trouble! I suggest you do a check with the crystaldiskinfo!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Yep, must agree with egydiocoelho
    This HDD seems to respond erratically to the BIOS & diskpart.  Since it seems related to your wife's attempt to install a wifi booster device, I'd still like to know precisely what booster she was working with. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Awaiz

Tinkerer

I can’t seem to find the wi-fi booster device .. it is an external usb plug and play device . 

Should I just replace my hard drive ? 
  • JackE
    Well, if you can still boot from the USB and get to the X:\ command prompt, you could try entering "sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows. It might at least temporarily repair corrupted files to allow booting from the HDD. Then run "SFC /scannow" directly from the C:\ command prompt as an adminstrator to see if it picks up more corruption.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Awaiz

Tinkerer

I first ran (from x:\ prompt )
     Sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\/offwindir=c:\windows
    ..it gave me the help menu to suggest the syntax was incorrect 
    then I ran(space after c:\)
     Sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows
    it tells me ...”windows resource protection could not start the repair service “
  • JackE
    OK. Try this command first at the x:>  prompt to see if it takes.
    net start trustedinstaller

Then If it does, try the sfc again with the space you found that was needed
    Sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ