ubuntu installation on helios 300!!!

Options
2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,549 Trailblazer
    Options
    you said earlier >>> ubuntu is installed but the whole system freezes >>>
    you said a few days ago>>> everything freezes when i try to install ubuntu >>>

Which is it? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rizwansaifi
    rizwansaifi Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    you said earlier >>> ubuntu is installed but the whole system freezes >>>
    you said a few days ago>>> everything freezes when i try to install ubuntu >>>

Which is it? Jack E/NJ
    just left you a dm about it !! :)
  • ArYa1607
    ArYa1607 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    rizwansaifi try using basic mouse setting instead of advanced. BTW my best bet is only mouse is stuck keyboard should be working properly.
  • drgxfs
    drgxfs Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    To everyone having trouble installing Ubuntu, here's how to solve it (my device is an Helios 300 Predator-PH317-52, but it should be similar for others):
    1. Create an bootable USB following these instructions, *but* set the partition scheme to GPT instead of MBR. All the other options should remain the same.
    2. Remove the USB device, turn off the laptop, turn it on, press F2 quickly to get to the BIOS. Move to the security tab and set a supervisor password. Press F10 to save and exit. The device will reboot, then you can disable secure boot on one of the tabs. Insert the USB and press F10 again to save and exit.
    3. You should now see the GRUB menu with the Ubuntu installation options. The problem some users get with the installation crashing just after selecting "Install Ubuntu", or crashing when selecting language/keyboard layout is due to the way the graphics drivers are loaded and them being incompatible with the NVIDIA card. To solve this, position the cursor over the 'Install Ubuntu' option and press 'e' to bring up the editor. On the text editor, you will see the flags 'quiet splash' maybe on the second to last line. Prepend the flag 'nomodeset' to this, so it should look like: nomodeset quiet splash. Do not change anything else, just add this flag. Now press F10.
    4. You will now be able to boot to the Ubuntu installation without crashing. Complete the installation, and you will be asked to reboot. Since the drivers for NVIDIA are still not installed, Ubuntu will crash again even if you are already loading it from the hard drive. So manually edit again the option in GRUB and add 'nomodeset' to be able to boot into Ubuntu again.
    5. Once you're inside, open a terminal and type 'ubuntu-drivers devices' just to see the recommended device drivers for your GPU. To automatically install the recommended ones, type 'sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall'. Now, next time you boot, you won't need to add the flag.
    This took some experimentation to get it right, so I hope it is useful to someone else out there! 
  • arunwilson
    arunwilson Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi, I tried your response. But can u please tell me how will I edit the nomodeset after installing ubuntu ?
  • gulshan98125
    gulshan98125 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Hello peeps I have the solution.
    The problem arises due to nvidia drivers.
    First of all during the installation of ubuntu follow these steps:

Before installing ubuntu there comes a grub menu which shows install ubuntu, use ubuntu without installing etc etc.

(1) highlight the option you want
    (2) press "e" button
    (3) edit "quite splash" to "nomodeset" in line starting with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT

save and go (i don't know the key exactly to save but it shows at the bottom what to press to save)

- After the installation, in the first boot if grub doesn't show then at the login screen quickly press "ctrl+alt+f1" this will open tty.
    - Edit the file grub file using command "sudo nano /etc/default/grub"
    - replace quite splash with nomodeset.
    Additionaly if you want to always show grub at the boot you can add.edit the lines in the same file
    "GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT="
    "GRUB_TIMEOUT=5"

save the file and reboot

Now you can successfully use the desktop without any freezes.
    Install your corresponding nvidia driver, you can check which to install by issuing command "ubuntu-drivers devices", it will show list of gpu drivers and install the one which is recommended. And after installation you can replace "nomodeset" back to "quite splash". You won't get the freezing problem again.
  • G07HaM
    G07HaM Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    JackE said:
    rizwansaifi As mentioned earlier, have you tried disabling vtx and vtd in the BIOS advanced tab yet? Jack E/NJ

yes i did , but nothing worked :(
    Hii, Maybe the problem is solved maybe not.

But I think the problem lies with the Predator's BIOS setting where you won't see legacy boot mode. Upgrading or Degrading BIOS may solve the issue. 

• HarshV9
    HarshV9 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    You can go through this youtube video, to install ubuntu alongside windows.

https://youtu.be/vl0g-3D5xds 
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @rizwansaifi @VJ_MAVERICK @ArYa1607

If you are still having an issue, see this thread - i installed Ubuntu onto an external SSD via USB (without disturbing existing windows) on both Nitro 5 and Predator 300. Steps include screenshots.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/585144/guide-installing-linux-on-nitro-5-an515-42

I prefer Linux this way cos this now sits isolated from windows and still utilizes entire power from laptop. SSD via USB 3 is also pretty fast and my Ubuntu loads up from cold start to login screen in under 10 seconds.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045