ubuntu installation on helios 300!!!

rizwansaifi
rizwansaifi Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
i am trying hard to install ubuntu 18.04 ( dual boot along side win 10 - win 10 is on ssd and will install ubuntu on normal sata hard drive ) but my system keeps getting stuck on the screen and i cant do anything other than forcefully shutting my system down during the process i tried everything from changing pds and creating the boot drive multiple times, but nothing worked !!!! 
I still haven't got past the wifi connection option during the installation after trying 5 to 8 times !!!
please respond with some solutions !

Answers

• VJ_MAVERICK
    VJ_MAVERICK Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am also having a Predator Helios 300 PH 315-51, 500GB SSD with a Windows 10 OEM install. I am trying to install Ubuntu 18.04 as the software application to be used can be installed only on Linux, which the IT Support realized it late ( should have taken a DOS machine or a Linux installed one). I noticed that the UEFI BIOS device does not have legacy boot mode with only option of UEFI and does not have other bootable options.
    I am looking to uninstall the win10 OEM which am unable to, and proceed with Ubuntu.  As the issue was the same, I did not start another thread, so can anyone guide us through?

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    I'd recommend installing Cinnamon-flavored Mint 19 or 19.1 alongside Win10 for 18.04. Jack E/NJ

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/598047/#Comment_598047

Jack E/NJ

• strider16
    strider16 Member Posts: 123 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    JackE said:
    I'd recommend installing Cinnamon-flavored Mint 19 or 19.1 alongside Win10 for 18.04. Jack E/NJ

Sir, this is the tutorial I need, thank you. About g3-572 under linux, any consideration about drivers, heating and power efficiency?
    Nothing peaks at the same time...
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33054103

• JackE
    I've installed Mint on a few similar machines but not specifically the g3-572. All I can say is that there were a few minor quirks, such as some touchpad instabilities, but the installation was fairly trouble free. And I'm not good at using touchpads anyway so for me it wasn't important and I haven't tried to work them out yet. Touchscreens seems to be OK but I'm not too good at using those either.  As for heating and power efficiency, I can only judge from battery life relative to Win10. Doesn't seem to be much different but of course that would depend on how I'm using and loading the system in each OS. For me personally the best part was that Cinnamon could be configured with about the same look, feel & operation of a Win7 machine only faster and without fear of compatibility issues caused by the next major Win10 update.

The Mint forums are also highly recommended. I  suggest that you register and post any issues you might run into on the Mint forum here https://forums.linuxmint.com/index.php?sid=f63f6b686d2f4b7e900344b6819f2bf4    Try to get a Mint forum contributor who goes by the name of "Altair4" to help as I have found him to be very straightforward and knowledgable.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rizwansaifi

Tinkerer

strider16 said:
    JackE said:

Sir, this is the tutorial I need, thank you. About g3-572 under linux, any consideration about drivers, heating and power efficiency?
    this is not the problem , ubuntu is installed but the whole system freezes , and you cannot do anything apart from forcefully shutting down your system , and format the linux partition

• rizwansaifi

Tinkerer

i am trying hard to install ubuntu 18.04 ( dual boot along side win 10 - win 10 is on ssd and will install ubuntu on normal sata hard drive ) but my system keeps getting stuck on the screen and i cant do anything other than forcefully shutting my system down during the process i tried everything from changing pds and creating the boot drive multiple times, but nothing worked !!!! 
    I still haven't got past the wifi connection option during the installation after trying 5 to 8 times !!!
    please respond with some solutions !

p.s i know how to install ubuntu along side windows , this is the first time i am having this problem
  • JackE
    @rizwansaifi >>>i am trying hard to install ubuntu 18.04 ( dual boot along side win 10 - win 10 is on ssd and will install ubuntu on normal sata hard drive ) but my system keeps getting stuck on the screen>>>

OK. Give me the download link you used to make the installation boot stick. Then I'll see what happens when I try to use it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ArYa1607
    ArYa1607 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I also have the same problem. Everything goes well when I install 16.04 and 18.10 until it prompts to restart and then it gets stuck. 18.04 doesn't even respond. After a force reboot it gets stuck on the login page. Trying to enter ubuntu recovery and exiting helped me to get to desktop few times but no luck during a restart BTW I tried bios v1.22,v1.19 and DISABLED secure boot and also using BASIC touchpad setting.
  • JackE
    ArYa1607 What was the factory installed OS if any? What Ubuntu GUIs did you try? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ArYa1607

Tinkerer

JackE i am using 1803 windows and i guess the factory installed was 1803(old version).
    I tried to install
    ubuntu 18.10(gnome) stuck after installation at login screen
    ubuntu 18.04(unity) stuck after installation at login screen
    ubuntu 16.04(unity) stuck after a restart.
  • JackE
    ArYa1607>>>ubuntu 16.04(unity) stuck after a restart. >>>

Probably best to work with 16.04. Enter the BIOS menu. In the Main tab, enable both the F12 & D2D options if not already. In the Security tab, check that both bootx64 & grubx64 are somewhere buried in the efi partition. Sometimes grub has to be entered manually from the keyboard if it's missing in the BIOS. In the Boot tab, put grub first in the boot order. Save menu settings & exit. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rizwansaifi

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    @rizwansaifi >>>i am trying hard to install ubuntu 18.04 ( dual boot along side win 10 - win 10 is on ssd and will install ubuntu on normal sata hard drive ) but my system keeps getting stuck on the screen>>>

OK. Give me the download link you used to make the installation boot stick. Then I'll see what happens when I try to use it. Jack E/NJ
    https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
  • JackE
    rizwansaifi Doesn't seem to be a problem installing alongside Windows on my machines. On your machine, use Windows diskmgmt.msc tool to make sure your normal HDD is GPT-partitioned and is unallocated to make room for Linux and its swap. Because Windows is on another drive, the ubuntu installer may be getting confused as to which is the target drive. Accordingly, the Windows drive should have NO unallocated partitions. Jack E/NJ     

Jack E/NJ

• ArYa1607

Tinkerer

JackE probably I've found out whats wrong with ubuntu. Disabling Vt-x and Vt-d solves the problem. Ubuntu works alright when those are disabled. It seems there is some problem with BIOS.
  • JackE
    ArYa1607 Congrats on your success. Thanks for your solution. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ArYa1607

Tinkerer

JackE do you think acer will be resolving this?
  • JackE
    If vtx and vtd can be re-enabled after ubuntu is installed, then the ubuntu installation program needs to be fix. Did you get the installation program from ACER?   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rizwansaifi

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    rizwansaifi Doesn't seem to be a problem installing alongside Windows on my machines. On your machine, use Windows diskmgmt.msc tool to make sure your normal HDD is GPT-partitioned and is unallocated to make room for Linux and its swap. Because Windows is on another drive, the ubuntu installer may be getting confused as to which is the target drive. Accordingly, the Windows drive should have NO unallocated partitions. Jack E/NJ     

why cant you understand simple english :anguished: , i said everything freezes when i try to install ubuntu , choosing drive and partition are a far thing right now , i cannot go past language selection and time zone during the installation ,everything just freezes :(  :(   
  • JackE
    rizwansaifi As mentioned earlier, have you tried disabling vtx and vtd in the BIOS advanced tab yet? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rizwansaifi

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    rizwansaifi As mentioned earlier, have you tried disabling vtx and vtd in the BIOS advanced tab yet? Jack E/NJ

yes i did , but nothing worked :(