Finger print scanner stops working out of nowhere. Code 43

niku55
niku55 Member Posts: 51 Troubleshooter
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Fingerprint goes to sleep often after few hours of inactivity. Uninstalled driver, reinstalled driver, disabled and enabled the fingerprint. Don't know what else I can do? Acer Aspire 7 A715-72G-71GV. Thanks

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,477 Trailblazer
    Open Control Panel. Search "restore point". Check for a WinUpdate restore point with a date stamp just before it stopped working correctly. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Does the error code 43 appear only when the device is idle for a long time? If so, try this:
    1) Go to Device Manager; click the fingerprint driver; in Power Management disable the "The computer can turn off the device to save power" option:

2) If this does not resolve, then you may need to update the driver! To do this, copy and paste idhardware here so we can help you:

Although my windows is in Portuguese, the windows functions in all languages are in the same place!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • niku55
    Does the error code 43 appear only when the device is idle for a long time? If so, try this:
    1) Go to Device Manager; click the fingerprint driver; in Power Management disable the "The computer can turn off the device to save power" option:

2) If this does not resolve, then you may need to update the driver! To do this, copy and paste idhardware here so we can help you:

Although my windows is in Portuguese, the windows functions in all languages are in the same place!
    Everytime the driver has issues it just removes the changes I made to power saving. Here is the screenshot of the hardware ID. The driver keeps on having issues.
  • niku55
    JackE said:
    Open Control Panel. Search "restore point". Check for a WinUpdate restore point with a date stamp just before it stopped working correctly. Jack E/NJ
    This didn't seem to work as there were none. The issue is the driver just gets errors and I have to disable and enable to get the fingerprint scanner working. It works in the short term but if I leave the laptop alone for long it would just not work. 
  • It is likely that you have already done this, but I wonder if you are reinstalling the driver by downloading direct from the acer site, or are you using the default windows driver?
    https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Fingerprint/Fingerprint_ELANTECH_3.6.1.1101_W10x64_A.zip?acerid=636614309367499405&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE A715-72G&OS=ALL&LC=pt&BC=ACER&SC=PA_3
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • niku55
    It is likely that you have already done this, but I wonder if you are reinstalling the driver by downloading direct from the acer site, or are you using the default windows driver?
    https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Fingerprint/Fingerprint_ELANTECH_3.6.1.1101_W10x64_A.zip?acerid=636614309367499405&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE A715-72G&OS=ALL&LC=pt&BC=ACER&SC=PA_3
    I have, I just uninstalled the driver and deleted driver data, restarted and installed it just now. Do not know whether it worked as the fingerprint scanner stops working after the computer being left alone for a few hours.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited September 2018
    So take the test and let me know if it worked! Some windows updates interfere with the drivers! The last update of windows that I downloaded last week, interfered in the scrollbar of my mouse! The solution was to uninstall and delete the driver and then reinstall the driver again and everything worked perfectly again! My mouse is also an elantech!
    Acer drivers are optimized for your model! Then download the driver in the link I sent you!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• niku55
    So take the test and let me know if it worked! Some windows updates interfere with the drivers! The last update of windows that I downloaded last week, interfered in the scrollbar of my mouse! The solution was to uninstall and delete the driver and then reinstall the driver again and everything worked perfectly again! My mouse is also an elantech!
    Acer drivers are optimized for your model! Then download the driver in the link I sent you!
    Left the laptop for a while and the fingerprint scanner got the error again...
  • If your windows version is 1803, this driver may not be compatible with this version! Although the drivers provided by acer are optimized for your notebook, I would try to use some program like driverbooster or driverpack so they can check and download the most current drivers for your model! A more current driver might solve this problem! There is no need to install the game programs in the driverbooster and the cleaning programs in the driverpack!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JackE
    I agree with @egydiocoelho . Try iobit's driverbooster first. If that doesn't work then back up your personal files and do an Alt+F10 factory reset  outside of Windows as in the video below. Then enable system protection so that Win10update restore points are automatically created if/when the problem happens again. Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzLJRAZldA

Jack E/NJ

• niku55
    If your windows version is 1803, this driver may not be compatible with this version! Although the drivers provided by acer are optimized for your notebook, I would try to use some program like driverbooster or driverpack so they can check and download the most current drivers for your model! A more current driver might solve this problem! There is no need to install the game programs in the driverbooster and the cleaning programs in the driverpack!
    My Windows Version is 1803! This may be the issue. I am downloading driver booster as of now and will let you know of the outcome
  • niku55
    If your windows version is 1803, this driver may not be compatible with this version! Although the drivers provided by acer are optimized for your notebook, I would try to use some program like driverbooster or driverpack so they can check and download the most current drivers for your model! A more current driver might solve this problem! There is no need to install the game programs in the driverbooster and the cleaning programs in the driverpack!
    The elan driver for the fingerprint scanner is the latest driver. So I am at a loss. It was working fine for 24+hours but the issue arose. 
  • niku55
    JackE said:
    I agree with @egydiocoelho . Try iobit's driverbooster first. If that doesn't work then back up your personal files and do an Alt+F10 factory reset  outside of Windows as in the video below. Then enable system protection so that Win10update restore points are automatically created if/when the problem happens again. Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzLJRAZldA

Do you have any other suggestions? I would rather not have to reset my device again, fix my trackpad and then see whether the fingerprint scanner works? 
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• niku55
    No it did not fix the issue, The driver is the latest driver from Acer. Really need to somehow get it working without resetting the laptop and going through all that hassle
  • The only idea I have now that could solve the problem is to restore the system to factory defaults by pressing the alt + f10 keys when turning on the notebook! You can also upgrade windows to version 1809 and see if this version fixes this problem! But if you upgrade windows, make a backup of all your files!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JackE
    >>>Really need to somehow get it working>>>

Is the scanner 'need' related to not being able to use the laptop, or not being able to determine if it's a hardware or driver software issue? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• niku55
    JackE said:
    >>>Really need to somehow get it working>>>

Is the scanner 'need' related to not being able to use the laptop, or not being able to determine if it's a hardware or driver software issue? Jack E/NJ

It just makes it much more convenient to login. I upgraded tp 1809 and it is working again but will know for sure after leaving the laptop alone for an extended period of time. The issue is definitely driver related.
  • niku55
    The only idea I have now that could solve the problem is to restore the system to factory defaults by pressing the alt + f10 keys when turning on the notebook! You can also upgrade windows to version 1809 and see if this version fixes this problem! But if you upgrade windows, make a backup of all your files!
    I upgraded Win10 to 1809 will see whether the issue persists after an extended period of time. If this doesn't work I would have to reset. Will let you know in a few hours
  • JackE
    edited October 2018
    Is this convenience really worth the hassle of a factory re-set? Unless you turn on system protection after the re-set as stated previously https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/603428/#Comment_603428 , one of the unavoidable Win10updates will likely cause the issue again and you're back to square one. The only thing a factory reset will confirm is that it is or it is not a hardware issue. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ