Predator Helios 500 random Freezing

Options
Arhol
Arhol Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello,2 days ago i got Helios 500 and so far i love it...besides random freezes,usually is once-twice per 3-4 hours,mainly when i play WoW,no idea what can be reason,i checked drivers (it says all are up to date),also i dont notice any overheating (CPU and GPU are usually at 65-68 celsius) any idea what can be reason?  System and everything are basically brand new and fresh and i found those random freezes bit annoying.

Best Answer

Answers

• UncleMikey42
    UncleMikey42 Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Pull up Task Manager, select More Details at the bottom (or whatever it's called to give you the full process view--I'm not on my Windows machine just this minute), sort by memory usage. If you see PSAgent (or something similarly named) eating a huge chunk of memory, kill it. That will rescue you temporarily, assuming that's the issue here (it might not be, but it's been biting a lot of people, so it's an obvious thing to check).

IF that's your problem, you can solve it semi-permanently by uninstalling PredatorSense, or by rolling Windows back to the 1709 release. There is some sort of issue with PredatorSense and Windows 10 1803. There's a couple of threads discussing the issue, like this one: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/547483/predator-sense-use-all-free-ram-please-help

Hope this helps!
  • UncleMikey42
    Options
    By the way, the way I chose to solve the problem was by actually doing a Fresh Start of Windows, which you can find by searching Settings. That reinstalls Windows without ANY of the Acer-provided software. You can then choose what to reinstall. I recommend having a copy of the Killer drivers downloaded just in case Windows comes up without those for some reason; otherwise you'll have trouble getting on the network! 

I have not re-installed PredatorSense, and for the most part, I'm not missing it, yet. Once I see here on the forums that the interaction between PS and Windows 10 has been fully dealt with, I probably will reinstall it.
  • Arhol

Tinkerer

Options
    Sadly system recovery and reinstalling everything not helped,nor removing predator sense, model of laptop is PH517-51,honestly dont have idea what is the reason. 
  • UncleMikey42
    Options
    Are you overclocking or undervolting or any other such tricks?

• Arhol

Tinkerer

Options
    No,not doing anything like this also not tried as i dont know too much about this ^^.
  • M4rdock
    M4rdock Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    I updated my helios 500 to newest 1803 recently and old problems are fixed (at least for me, and i still have killer notworking disabled) so i dont think predator sense is a problem.

If i were you i would try aus logics registry cleaner, can potentially help if problem is registry-releated.
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Options
    Have you updated to the latest Nvidia GPU driver?
    - Hotel Hero
  • Arhol

Tinkerer

Options
    Ok ill try registry cleaner thing later.
    Yes i have latest nvdia drivers.
  • Arhol

Tinkerer

Options
    Sadly problem still occurs from time to time,so far i tried 
    Updating windows to 1803 and get all updates
    Newest nvidia drivers
    PC mark 10/3dmark tests (but i dont think that will help in any way)
    system recovery
    memory ram test (or how it is called)
    Happens mainly during gaming,both CPU and GPU temperatures are ok according to predator sense,never did any undervolting,overclocking etc,can i do something more before contacting service?  (someone suggested me it can be dust or some ***** on ram, but im not sure,since problem occur from like 2nd-3rd day when i used laptop for first time,and i dont want rly to touch laptop "insides" coz i dont know a ***** about this) 
    Thought the reason was not most actual nvidia drivers,but even with newest ones it still happens,frequency is also incosistent,sometimes it wont occur entire day or week,sometimes is 2-3 freezes in like 4-5 hours.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    @Arhol

Did you try disabling Predator Sense and seeing if this problem is still occurring? Close Predator Sense app, and disable the service under windows services. See if this helps.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Arhol

Tinkerer

edited October 2018
    Options
    sri369 said:
    @Arhol

Did you try disabling Predator Sense and seeing if this problem is still occurring? Close Predator Sense app, and disable the service under windows services. See if this helps.
    In past problem occured both with predator sense installed on pc and removed,i knew there was some cases with Predator sense eating horrendous amounts of ram but it was never problem for me.
  • CSHPicone
    CSHPicone Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options
    G'day,

Just wondering if anyone ever found a fix for this?  I've had pretty much the same issue.  Had freezing/crashing issues since I first bought the ***** thing.  Was originally an issue with Predator Sense' memory leak, and uninstalling it fixed the issue.  But later, the freezing/crashing started happening again, every few hours, then progressively got worse - every hour, every half hour, now it's every few minutes.  I'm expecting it to crash while I write this message. 

I've done a fresh re-install of windows, including removing all files on my PC, and even with a fresh boot it continues freezing every randomly, sometimes after a minute or two, sometimes after up to an hour.  

At no point has it mattered what I've been doing with the machine - browsing, gaming, or just idling.  

All drivers, etc. are up to date.

Predator sense no longer appears to be causing an issue, but likewise it now freezes whether Predator Sense is on the machine or not.

I've been keeping an eye on things when it's crashing, suspecting some likely issues but memory's been at 20%, CPU/etc. similarly low, temp. at 50C, no obvious issues with anything.  At all.  

Just the most expensive lemon I've ever bought.  
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    Its the Killer Network service.. its already activated but it attempts to restart itself and slowly fills RAM over time.

Click your start button then type > services > navigate to "Killer Network Service" > right click > properties > "Recovery" tab > under first, second, subsequent failure drop down boxes change all to "Take no action".

- Hotel Hero
  • CSHPicone

Tinkerer

Options
    I was doubtful that this was the issue because, as mentioned, my memory use is only showing 20% when the computer freezes.  But I figured it couldn't hurt and tried it anyway.  However, when I checked, all three of those boxes were already showing "take no action". I do appreciate you trying to help though, particularly if that has caused issued for others.

Any  other suggestions?
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    Have you updated the BIOs?
    - Hotel Hero
  • CSHPicone

Tinkerer

Options
    Yes, BIOS and all drivers were up to date.  I had a bit of a win this morning (sort of).  One of the times it froze, I received a BSOD displaying the WHEA Uncorrectable Error.  Long story short, it's gotta be a hardware issue, so I took it back to the shop to fix under warranty

Thanks for your help mate, appreciated. 
  • Red-Sand
    edited October 2018
    Options
    WHEA error is too much of an undervolt.

Are you running throttlestop or xtu?
    There is a built in undervolt profile with the latest Predator Sense that if your undervolting on top of may cause issues.
    - Hotel Hero
  • CSHPicone

Tinkerer

Options
    I wasn't overclocking, undervolting, or doing any of those other things at any point.... And was running it with a fresh install exactly the way it came out of the box when I got the error.
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    Perhaps the built in undervolt is too much?

Let me know if it happens again Ill tell you how to fix it.
    - Hotel Hero
  • CSHPicone

Tinkerer

Options
    I wasn't even aware it had a built-in undervolt.  It seems unlikely that only my machine would be affected by a built-in feature but I've been around computers long enough to know that anything's possible.  When I get my machine back, I'll let you know what they found.