Acer Aspire E5 - 575G Charging issue

nyhetsbrev
nyhetsbrev Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,

I am currently experiencing a problem charging the Acer E5.
I have tried connecting it to multiple sockets, but it doesn't change anything.

1/100 times it does charge, but the majority of the time it doesn't.

A few pointers:
1. The pin inside the charging hole on the laptop is perfectly fine.
2. No modifications have been made to the computer, other than insert a HDD in the extra slot.
3. Have tried the fix of holding down the reset button for the battery, but made no difference (internal battery).
4. Have looked around at various other topics, but haven't found something that works.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Hi @nyhetsbrev

do you have to wiggle the charger? or does it fit right? Also, how long does the unit stay on with battery power?

Please try the below steps to fix charging issues.

1. Press and hold windows + X and click on device manager
    2. Keeping the charger plugged in 
    3. Under battery section, Right click on Microsoft battery icon and click on uninstall 
    4. after uninstalling it restart the device and check if there is any difference. If you still do not see any difference then do the BIOS defaults. 

Performing BIOS defaults
    1. During power up keep pressing F2 to get inside BIOS
    2. Now press F9 and hit enter to set BIOS to its default configuration
    3. Press F10 and hit enter to save and exit. Post this you should see some change but if you don't then you might have to contact acer support for warranty service.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • nyhetsbrev
    Rudy21 said:
    Hi @nyhetsbrev

do you have to wiggle the charger? or does it fit right? Also, how long does the unit stay on with battery power?

Please try the below steps to fix charging issues.

1. Press and hold windows + X and click on device manager
    2. Keeping the charger plugged in 
    3. Under battery section, Right click on Microsoft battery icon and click on uninstall 
    4. after uninstalling it restart the device and check if there is any difference. If you still do not see any difference then do the BIOS defaults. 

Performing BIOS defaults
    1. During power up keep pressing F2 to get inside BIOS
    2. Now press F9 and hit enter to set BIOS to its default configuration
    3. Press F10 and hit enter to save and exit. Post this you should see some change but if you don't then you might have to contact acer support for warranty service.
    Thanks for the tips @rudy21

- There is some wiggle room when plugged in but not more than when the unit was new.
    - The battery seems fine, no problems with battery life.

Will try your tips, ironically I have to get some charge on the battery as it is drained..
  • Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    @nyhetsbrev

Yeah i understand the situation as the device charges 1/100 times. Try to check the device with a different charger. May be you can walk into store with your laptop and test the device with another charger. this will help to understand if its the charger or the port.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • VegasWhoa
    VegasWhoa Member Posts: 79 Devotee WiFi Icon
    This suddenly happened to me too! E5-575G 

I alaays have the fan on 100% due to heat and forwhateber reason, I decided to hit FN+F4 to put the POS into Sleep.   Welp, i come back 3 hours later and its dead.  No power, no nothing!  So IDK if it overheated and ***** the bead.  

Steps I have taken:

Held down the power button for 30 seconds w/ power plugged in.  

Held power button for 30 seconds w/o power plugged in.

took the underside cover off, pressed the battery reser button for 4 seconds, waited 5 minutes, nothing  pressed it again for 30 seconds waited 5 minjtes nothing.

unplugged the battery connector trying to run it off power supply only, nothing.  Tried the battery reset button again, nothing.

I have no freaking clue whatelse to do.  I didnt know pressing FN F4 would ignote a 007 self destruct sequence, laptop is only 1.5 years old with no gaming usage.  Of course the 940mx is dead too  @ 1.1 years and warranty ends at 1yr.

$480 machine????

Where is the BBB on this company.  
  • VegasWhoa
    Forgot to ask, what is the black button for?? Its visible when you remove the RAM cover.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,832 Trailblazer
    edited July 2018
    @VegasWhoa Probably the normally-off safety interlock switch. Cuts all power to the laptop when the case or cover is removed or misaligned. If for some reason the case or cover doesn't push hard enough on the switch, the issue you describe sometimes happens. Fix is simple involving tape and spacers. Jack E/NJ

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/546665/#Comment_546665
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/549720/#Comment_549720

Jack E/NJ

• VegasWhoa
    JackE said:
    @VegasWhoa Probably the normally-off safety interlock switch. Cuts all power to the laptop when the case or cover is removed or misaligned. If for some reason the case or cover doesn't push hard enough on the switch, the issue you describe sometimes happens. Fix is simple involving tape and spacers. Jack E/NJ

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/546665/#Comment_546665
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/549720/#Comment_549720

Any idea what is the common problem on a bad MOBO for an E15 (e5-575g).

I believe mine shutdown due to excessive heat when i put it to sleep via FN F4.   Now I won't boot or even show signs of life via the blue or orange led light.    Battery pack is good, 19.4 volts are flowin where the connector meets the mobo by the wifi card.  Battery has power and its connector is showing power flowin to the mobo.  

Did all the power cycle and battery reset procedures atleast 20 times.

So is there a specific cap or resistor that goes bad on these???

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,832 Trailblazer
    >>>Now [it] won't boot or even show signs of life via the blue or orange led light.>>>

I seriously doubt excessive heat in sleep mode would've caused no signs of life --- more like no signs of power. Still sounds to me like the normally off safety interlock switch is still off. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• nyhetsbrev
    Rudy21 said:
    @nyhetsbrev

Yeah i understand the situation as the device charges 1/100 times. Try to check the device with a different charger. May be you can walk into store with your laptop and test the device with another charger. this will help to understand if its the charger or the port.
    @Rudy21

Managed to get it turned on and tried your tips. Unfortunately it didn`t make any difference.
    Thanks for your effort though. Will try a warranty claim.
  • BriKov
    BriKov Member Posts: 1 New User
    Not sure why VegasWhoa jumped into the middle of a power cord discussion.....Anyway, I also have an E 15 with power cord issues. It acts as though the plug itself is not making good contact. A while back I ordered a brand new one for like $10.00 on Ebay, and it fixed the problem...for about 3-4 months. It is back again. My theory is that the hot (power) contacts inside the plug are sort of springy and are intended to make contact with the hot pin inside the unit. Probably just inferior Chinese junk.