Swift 3 Bios Password after upgrade

Options
ceecrb1
ceecrb1 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have just upgraded the bios on my swift 3.
(entered in the serial number in the downloads page so I am sure I downloaded the correct one).

Since then I cannot access my bois as it asks for the password, I KNOW I am using the correct password but it no longer works.

How can I gain access or reset it so I an add a new one?
I NEED to gain access as I use linux and grub does not show unless I alter things in the boot menu.

After 3 attempts it says "enter unlock passkey(KEY:XXXXXXXXXXXX)"

[Post edited to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Manny]

Best Answer

Answers

• ceecrb1

Tinkerer

Options
    Just discovered that I cant even get to the f12 boot menu.

This is extremely dangerous for future needs of using backup software etc if windows fails.

I NEED a way to recover this key. HOW DO I GAIN ACCESS?
    Can I get an answer here or can you tell me who who were to speak to in ACER to get it!?!?!

• switch
    switch Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options
    have you tried to install previous bios? 
  • ceecrb1

Tinkerer

Options
    It does not let you downgrade
  • switch
    switch Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited October 2018
    Options
    ceecrb1 said:
    It does not let you downgrade
    you can either wait for the next bios update and see if the problem is fixed or you can try the hardware way.
    Check the link for the laptop disassembly https://www.laptopmain.com/acer-swift-3-review-disassembly-ssd-hdd-upgrade-options/

you need to disconnect the laptop battery and cmos battery (cmos is the most important as it resets the bios)

you can see the cmos battery in the picture below.

also this method voids your warranty

[Post edited to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Manny]

• ceecrb1

Tinkerer

Options
    I'm not entirely sure about removing the cmos battery.
    Purely because SOME laptop bios's store the passwords in separate chips though other means to bypass this trick and I have not invested enough time to see what style this laptop has.

The chat with the acer support guy left me with the feeling that acer want's to charge me for the repair, something I will be fighting against.... I've even heard a horror story that they might try and sell me a replacement motherboard, which in NO way will I be accepting on a week old laptop which is entirely fully functional and just needs a low level bios re-flash or password clearing.
    If they get to that level I'll just get them to send it back and try the cmos battery, and if that does not work I'll probably reset windows and give the laptop to my wife as she needs a new one anyway and buy another laptop from a nother brand and never return to Acer ever again.
  • ceecrb1

Tinkerer

Options
    UPDATE:
    Just thought I'd let others know in case they search for this issue.
    In the end  I chatted with ACER and arranged it to be returned to them.
    It was done under warranty and returned to me in 8 days.

They updated the bios to the latest version and removed all passwords.

Not too bad, basically they did what I needed doing. Cant complain!
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
    If I had Linux/Ubuntu installed, I probably wouldn't try to update the BIOS.  I would probably delete the linux installation first and then update BIOS with only windows installed.

If you ever need to delete the Ubuntu BCD entry, checkout the post by TTorler2.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/543558/sf315-41-acer-swift-3-ryzen-bios-1-04-win-10-1709-installed-ubuntu-18-04-now-cant-f2-or-f12#latest
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ceecrb1

Tinkerer

Options
    This makes no difference to the issue.

The issue is that the secure boot system ONLY will boot windows.. AKA no grub... AKA no linux.

To disable secure boot you MUST enter an administration password in the bios.

The bios update corrupted or altered the password I entered.

AKA linux, hackintosh or windows, makes no difference, ACER's bios update software altered in some way the password that was set.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @ceecrb1

I didn't explain myself very well.  Sorry about that.  There appears to be some kind of bug for folks that disable secure boot and/or are linux users that might have created a supervisor password with your swift 3.   I was just trying to be nice and give you a heads up that there may be a bug dealing with the password and updating the BIOS.  I don't 100 percent know that it's a bug or the cause, but you're at least the third person to have a similar problem.

So in the meantime, I would probably delete linux partitions (and delete the linux BCD entry)....and restore my UEFI to default settings including removing the supervisor password before  I attempted to update BIOS again......until Acer fixes it......just to be on the safe side.  Good Luck.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/542588/swift-3-sf314-52-after-update-bios-to-1-08-cannot-access-bios-locked-out-by-password

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/535088/how-to-enter-bios-if-i-set-a-supercisor-password

Edit:  If you click on the link below, you can read my post on how to install Ubuntu (by adding grub to the trusted secure boot settings).  No need to disable secure boot.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/543558/sf315-41-acer-swift-3-ryzen-bios-1-04-win-10-1709-installed-ubuntu-18-04-now-cant-f2-or-f12#latest

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Options

Hello everyone,

We are sorry to hear this.  We would like to thank you for reporting it and for providing us with information we can use to investigate this problem. The issue has been escalated and is being investigated.

This topic will be updated once we have a solution for this issue.

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• sanderos
    sanderos Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Allow me to publish my similar issue which lead me here and my solution, maybe it is not unique and will help others.

My issue was that I locked myself out of the BIOS by setting up a supervisior password. However I was sure of the password, it did not work.

(Acer Swift 3 SF315-52, BIOS version 1.04 and 1.06 after an update)

The problem turned out to be with the password enter and confirm input fields in the BIOS, it is not accepting 'm' and 'k' keys at all and I was unaware of it when I set my password and confirmed it.
    Luckily after some brute force attempts (I used only a 4 character length and simple password just to disable secure boot option) it let me in when I left out the letter 'm' from my password.

It is certainly an issue with the BIOS as these keys are working fine in the operating system and even when the BIOS is asking for your password.

So anyone who is having issue with accessing the bios and is certain of the password, give it a try without the 'm' and 'k' letters.

Best Regards
  • imtiyaz
    imtiyaz Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    sanderos said:
    Hi Everyone,

Allow me to publish my similar issue which lead me here and my solution, maybe it is not unique and will help others.

My issue was that I locked myself out of the BIOS by setting up a supervisior password. However I was sure of the password, it did not work.

(Acer Swift 3 SF315-52, BIOS version 1.04 and 1.06 after an update)

The problem turned out to be with the password enter and confirm input fields in the BIOS, it is not accepting 'm' and 'k' keys at all and I was unaware of it when I set my password and confirmed it.
    Luckily after some brute force attempts (I used only a 4 character length and simple password just to disable secure boot option) it let me in when I left out the letter 'm' from my password.

It is certainly an issue with the BIOS as these keys are working fine in the operating system and even when the BIOS is asking for your password.

So anyone who is having issue with accessing the bios and is certain of the password, give it a try without the 'm' and 'k' letters.

Best Regards
    My dear friend, you are the saviour. 

I was facing the exact same problem. I upgraded BIOS from 1.03 to 1.06 (Acer SF315-52G) few days ago and was struggling to enter into BIOS settings since then.I called up customer support and they asked me to submit my laptop to nearest service center.I knew the password very well but every time I tried,It got rejected. It had 'm' character. When I skipped 'm' character while entering the password, it indeed worked. So the problem is with the BIOS.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    I wonder if the BIOS has the num lock on... That sometimes sets the 'm' key to '0'.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • imtiyaz
    imtiyaz Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    billsey said:
    I wonder if the BIOS has the num lock on... That sometimes sets the 'm' key to '0'.
    No.In that case I had to enter '0' however I completely skipped the 'm'. As sanderos mentioned,BIOS might have not registered 'm' key at all.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>BIOS might have not registered 'm' key at all>>>

Possibly. You might want to check whether or not the "m" and "k" actually register a symbol or dot in the security section. Sometimes no symbols are used so number of keystrokes can't even be counted/confirmed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi all,

Sorry for the delayed reply, we have now release an BIOS update version 1.07 that resolves this issue, please download and install it from our official web site: https://www.acer.com/ac/es/MX/content/support-product/7629?b=1

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny 
  • gdeol4
    gdeol4 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    @Acer-Manny Hey I have the same issue but mines is with the SF315-51. Would the 52 model bios update on my machine not work?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    No. Do not try the use the 52 firmware on your 51. Wait for any firmware updates for the 51. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bluesea2019
    bluesea2019 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2019
    Options
    gdeol4 said:
    @Acer-Manny Hey I have the same issue but mines is with the SF315-51. Would the 52 model bios update on my machine not work?
    I had the same problem as you, I used ACER SWIFT 315-51, after updating the bios to version 1.06, the bios was locked in, did not know when the latest bios update for it or Is there any way to remove it? Thank you very much acer team :)
  • JEWEL
    JEWEL Member Posts: 59

Tinkerer

Options
    I am facing with this problem also. Password automatically seted and now i am unable to enter in bios. I went to service center but they said it's new model and we don't have any information  They take my documents and send it to Taiwan for support . But I am not getting help even now. So I left it in the service center. I think acer should take proper steps . If they don't know proper information about their product why the sell this to us and after that why they are unable to solve it!  Plz do something . I went to Kolkata, India service center  Plz send them proper things or blueprint of your motherboard or bios password removal process . It's too boring and disturbing to me to wait about two weeks  Plz plz do something  
This discussion has been closed.