Swift 3 SF314-52 after update BIOS to 1.08 cannot access BIOS (locked out by password)

giovanni82
giovanni82 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi,

I bought a Swift 3 SF314-52 and I updated the 1.02 BIOS to 1.08_A_A and I also created a supervisior password ONLY to disable secure boot.

now after the upgrade to 1.08 when I try to access the BIOS I need to insert a password that I never created (since the supervisor password doesn't work)! how to fix this ? This password was not requested in version 1.02 !

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Did you ever clear the supervisor password after disabling secure boot? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• giovanni82
    giovanni82 Member Posts: 2 New User
    JackE said:
    Did you ever clear the supervisor password after disabling secure boot? Jack E/NJ
    The process was the following:

1) enter BIOS setup
    2) Set supervisor password
    3) Disable secure boot
    4) save and exit
    5) restart laptop and try to enter BIOS
    6) confirmed that no password is required to enter BIOS (version 1.02)
    7) boot Windows install from USB disk (that was the reason to remove secure boot)
    8) install windows 10 and start windows
    9) download BIOS update 1.08, apply update and restart
    10) once restarted BIOS updates and restart again, then boot windows 10
    11) Restart again laptop and try to enter BIOS setup 
    X) password is requested (!!!) 

Now if you would not have tried at step 6 I would imagine that something I did wrong, but as I verified (and I always do in such cases) I could enter BIOS without setting a password and I would remember that password as it's my wife's name, and I haven't changed wife so far.

So I get a password locked BIOS with a password I haven't set, is there a password used by default in ACER that is enforced with BIOS updates in case no password is set???
  • JackE
    >>>2) Set supervisor password
    3) Disable secure boot
    4) save and exit
    5) restart laptop and try to enter BIOS
    6) confirmed that no password is required to enter BIOS (version 1.02)>>>

Something wrong here. A step seems missing. Step2 says you set a password. Now where is the step that says you cleared the password? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru

Hello everyone,

We are sorry to hear this.  We would like to thank you for reporting it and for providing us with information we can use to investigate this problem. The issue has been escalated and is being investigated.

This topic will be updated once we have a solution for this issue.

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hello,

Unfortunately, the unit will have to be revise by a technician in our Service Center, please contact your local Acer support to have it setup for repair.

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny 
  • ahduezcianx
    ahduezcianx Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Hi,

I bought a Swift 3 SF314-52 and I updated the 1.02 BIOS to 1.08_A_A and I also created a supervisior password ONLY to disable secure boot.

now after the upgrade to 1.08 when I try to access the BIOS I need to insert a password that I never created (since the supervisor password doesn't work)! how to fix this ? This password was not requested in version 1.02 !
    Did you fix it? I have same problem
  • JackE
    ahduezcianx
    I suggest that you also try to send a PM to @giovanni82 if you don't get a response here. You might try to enter the incorrect bios password 3 times in a row to see if it displays an 8-digit lock key code. If it does, you may be able to find the unlock key by entering the lock key into a bios master password generator for laptops. If you're adventuresome you may also be able to clear the password by shorting the JRST2401 gap on the mainboard but this of course requires disassembling the machine.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JEWEL
    JEWEL Member Posts: 59

Tinkerer

Hey same problem happened to me again. Last time I was able to enter after 2 months. But today morning I updated my bios. After updating my bios to 2.11 it's requires password . I clearly remember that there was no supervisor password in my system . I set the supervisor password last time and it was 1234. I cleared it bUt after updating bios it want a password which I never created . I am trying with 1234 but it's not working . I think that's a bug or problem of acer bios. 
  • JackE
    I think your BIOS firmware has been upgraded and downgraded too many times. The risks of doing so is substantial for creating issues like this. The original v1.04 had no problems and should've been left that way. You're best option is to have a local authorized service center re-set the firmware, preferrably with the original version that had no problems. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JEWEL

Tinkerer

If I come back to 1.04 the problem will be solved  
  • JEWEL

Tinkerer

Last time when it was locked I didn't upgrade or downgrade my bios . After trying 2 months it was opened by "8584".
    I tried with this before hundred times  . Byt it was not working.. Suddenly one morning it opened with this. But this time The last password was 1234. But it's not working life before. Hope this will  also take too much time. 
  • JackE
    JEWEL   Sorry, I have no way of knowing if v1.04 will work again like before due to all the changes since. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ