SF315-41 Acer Swift 3 Ryzen, Bios 1.04, Win 10 1709 Installed Ubuntu 18.04 now can't F2 or F12...

TTorler2
TTorler2 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
SF315-41 Acer Swift 3 Ryzen, Bios 1.04, Win 10 1709  Installed Ubuntu 18.04 now can't F2 or F12...

So I reduced the Win 10 partition size and installed Ubuntu 18.04, Secure Boot left ON, boot code to the correct EFI partition, install went fine, all working. Reboot to Windows. bcdedit /enum firmware showed the valid boot code in the EFI partition, next need to get into the Bios/EFI to authorise the boot code but F2 does nothing but a black screen and cursor top-left, F12 does nothing at all. Back into Windows, removed the ubuntu folder from the EFI partition, rebooted, F2 & F12 still don't work.

If anyone knows how to get F2 & F12 working again I would REALLY appreciate the info. Thanks.

Answers

• TTorler2
    TTorler2 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Right, the answer to this is you get LOCKED OUT OF THE BIOS and boot options (F2/F12) if there's an "unauthorised" (lol) entry in the BCD...

1. Check the BCD entries in Windows with an administrator command prompt and
    bcdedit /enum firmware
    2. Delete the Ubuntu BCD entry with
    bcdedit /delete {GUID} /cleanup
    You get your {GUID} in step 1, scroll up to see all the entries, type the { } brackets around the GUID in step 2.
    Don't delete any Windows GUIDs or you won't be able to boot into Windows.

Still need to find a procedure to get dual boot working, if anyone knows I'd appreciate a reply.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited May 2018
    1. Go in to BIOS settings and make sure Secure Boot is enabled
    2.  Set a supervisor password and enable the F12 boot menu and then save/exit
    3. Insert Ubuntu USB
    4. Go in to BIOS settings and add GRUB to the Trusted Secure Boot Settings:     USB1>>>EFI>>>ubuntu>>>grubx64.efi
        And  "give it a proper name like 'Ubuntu'"
    5. Boot Ubuntu USB by tapping F12 at boot.....and then install Ubuntu.
    6.  Go in to BIOS and use F6 to get Ubuntu to top..... (in the boot tab).  This step is an optional step.  In the past, I sometimes just used F12 at boot to boot Ubuntu instead of following this step.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/538305/cant-access-uefi-after-installing-linux-dual-boot/p1

I'm not an Acer employee.