Predator G1 710 crashes when gaming on high load

Options

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,586 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>Is there a major difference with deleting files and not deleting them? Getting pretty desperate here.>>>

Yes. The ALT+F10 cold boot clean factory re-set (delete everything) with your router off (so a Win update can't sneak in during the re-install) is the only sure way to rule in or rule out a hardware issue. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/567237/#Comment_567237 If you go this route, I strongly advise that you enable system protection after installation and after turning the route back on so that Win updates automatically create restore points that you can fall back on if this issue is related to the updates. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Migus
    Migus Member Posts: 23 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Welp, did that, for a moment I thought it fixed the problem but nope. It just worked for a lil bit longer maybe but other than that it still happens.
    Heh any other ideas?
  • JackE
    Options
    @Migus Did the problem re-appear before or after you turned the router back on? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Migus
    Options
    @JackE Well I dont really know since I had to download drivers and games before I could test if the problem still existed. I didnt update windows before trying tho and it did happen again, and it happened aswell after I had updated it.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>> I had to download drivers and games before I could test if the problem still existed.>>>

What drivers? All the drivers needed should be in the hidden recovery partition! And the games should've been downloaded on a stick beforehand so you didn't have to turn the router on. Did you at least make sure system protection was enabled so that an automatic restore point would've created if an update was able to sneak by you?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Migus
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Drivers for the gpu but yes the system protection was on.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>Drivers for the gpu>>>

No. What GPU drivers!!?? No downloaded driver updates of any kind! Not even downloaded ACER GPU driver updates!!! If you did, see if you can roll back ANY drivers to the factory reset drivers. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Migus
    Options
    The regular ones from GeForce. Unfortunately I cant roll back. Is there a significant meaning to this? I could do it again but just for the disc that has windows if it's very important factor.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>Is there a significant meaning to this? >>>

Yes!!!! The ALT+F10 factory re-set driver is ACER-specific for the ACER-specific Win10 flavor on your hidden recovery partition. It's not the same as the nVidia generic driver for the Microsoft generic Win10 flavor. This re-set driver is tied to your particular machine's serial number id (SNID), graphics configuration, and Win10 flavor. 

If you had system protection enabled, you should be able to find a "restore point" in settings just before you installed the generic nvidia so we don't have to go thru the factory re-set routine again. It's really the only way to rule in or rule out a hardware issue. At this point, this is looking more and more like a software/driver related problem.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Migus
    Options
    Well I dont have a restore point so ill just do the re-set again thro the ALT+F10. I had no idea it was acer-specific. I'll just do it for the disc that the windows is on since there isnt much else than games on the other one I hope thats fine.

So I'll just try some games after the re-set without downloading any drivers or updates and while the router is off, right?
  • Migus
    Options
    Welp, I did the re-set with router off. Turned on protection and made a restore point manually. Turned router on to update steam and launched pubg and waited in the main menu for few mins until black screen and then the game crashed and screen revive itself. 

After installing afterburner it seems that It didn't wipe the drivers installed since it says I have "397.64" even tho I did the re-set. I remember it was like this last re-set. After downloading the geforce experience it only had the option to reinstall the drivers. 
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>Turned on protection and made a restore point manually. Turned router on to update steam >>>

What do you mean? Update Steam? Steam shouldn't be on your hidden recovery partition or after the reset? You apparently did not do a full re-set. You apparently tried to save your personal files and your own installed programs like Steam. Plus you downloaded the generic GEForce driver again.  And now we're back to square one all over again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Migus
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I told you that I would do it only for the disc that has windows, I have two hard drives. I put steam exe to the other drive with my games. There is no other way to try out problem if i have no games or working steam.

Like I said, I did not download anything from GeForce. Control panel doesnt say that i have the drivers but they are there since my afterburner recognizes it. I didn't download anything but update steam. 

And what exactly do you mean with a hidden recovery partition? There is no such a thing in my drives or anything so I dont even know what is that supposed to mean. I did a full-reset using the ALT+F10 combination for my ssd that had windows etc. 

• JackE
    Options
    >>>Turned router on to update steam >>>>After downloading the geforce experience>>>I did not download anything from GeForce.>>>And what exactly do you mean with a hidden recovery partition? There is no such a thing in my drives or anything so I dont even know what is that supposed to mean. I did a full-reset using the ALT+F10 combination for my ssd that had windows etc. >>>

Let me try to explain better. The hidden ACER recovery partition is on the Windows boot drive. It's called 'hidden' because you can't directly access or see it in File Explore. It can only be accessed thru the ALT+F10 cold boot method outside Windows or thru the ACER recovery software inside Windows. And it can only be seen by the Windows Disk Management tool.

The minute you turn on the router to either (1)Update Steam (2) Or to let Win10updates proceed (3) Or to download the GEForce experience, the ALT+F10 factory re-set is gone!!! That means the Windows system environment is no longer as it was shipped from the factory.

Sorry, but at this point, the only way to rule in or rule out a hardware issue is WITHOUT TURNING ON THE ROUTER! If Steam cannot run from the other hard drive without the router, then we cannot rule in or rule out a hardware issue. If this is the case, then I can only guess that the problem is likely with the Steam software itself. 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Migus
    Options
    Well there is no way to put pc thro high load without internet. And why would steam be the cause of the crashes? Thats just nonsense. Blizzard games don't work either. 

Its just dum how a game ready pc is having such problems. This is great acer.
  • JackE
    Options
    If this machine is still relatively new, I'd return it to the vendor as defective or dissatisfied for a refund or replacement. If still under warranty, I'd try to get it repaired but must be very specific on how it's failing because the factory load tests would probably only simulate, and not exactly reproduce, whatever loads Steam or Blizzard impose. As a remote possibility, you might try to place your system on a hard surface to promote better cooling if heat buildup is causing the crashes.    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Migus
    Options
    I guess ill visit a repair shop soon. The sides are open and its on a desk atm so its not heat for sure.

I just came up with a way to crash the pc without internet tho. Downloaded superposition benchmark. Ran it smoothly until it crashed around 12th section.
  • JackE
    Options
    @Migus>>> just came up with a way to crash the pc without internet tho. Downloaded superposition benchmark. Ran it smoothly until it crashed around 12th section.>>>

If it's reproducible, I think it'd be worth trying the ALT+F10 factory re-set again. If it still does the same thing on an original factory install then I think you've got a strong case for claiming a hardware failure. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Migus
    Options
    But what about that geforce driver that didnt get cleaned? And that hidden recovery partition?
  • JackE
    Options
    Once you do a full factory reset to remove everything without the router being on, the hidden recovery partition will rebuild the two Windows system partitions to as they came from the factory and include ALL the original graphics drivers needed for the factory-installed hardware. Any downloaded GEForce drivers should be totally wiped cleaned from the disk. If it still crashes the machine with this factory configuration, then yes I think you have a stronger case for some kind of a hardware issue. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ