Does anyone know how to perform a bios recover for acer aspire r5-471t?

Options

Answers

• navin
    navin Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will try when I get home this evening.
  • SkittleBeast
    SkittleBeast Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Options
    I have the same exact problem!  Is the size of the USB mem stick important?  I only have 1GB right now.
  • SkittleBeast
    Options
    I found a 4GB stick.  Followed the steps and it doesn't seem to be working.  The blue power LED is solid.... 
  • xcv4664
    xcv4664 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    kingkhan said:
    I tried it again, and this time it worked.

I used the 1.09 Bios file as that was the version i was running before this "update"

I formatted my USB once again and copied the bios file over and renamed it to SKI2Luffy.fd

You will know if the laptop is attempting to recover as the power LED starts to blink. It will shut down automatically when the recovery is complete.

When you press the power button, the laptop should have the recovered bios.

Thanks again to MrSmith!!!
    Where did you download 1.09 bios file? Can you share the link?  
  • SkittleBeast
    Options
    xcv4664 said:
    kingkhan said:
    I tried it again, and this time it worked.

I used the 1.09 Bios file as that was the version i was running before this "update"

I formatted my USB once again and copied the bios file over and renamed it to SKI2Luffy.fd

You will know if the laptop is attempting to recover as the power LED starts to blink. It will shut down automatically when the recovery is complete.

When you press the power button, the laptop should have the recovered bios.

Thanks again to MrSmith!!!
    Where did you download 1.09 bios file? Can you share the link?  
    Download it here:  www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6397?b=1
  • w3amd
    w3amd Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options
    Did you get it sorted out? I used a 4GB formatted for FAT32.
  • SkittleBeast
    Options
    Not yet.  I'm still trying.  I did get a 4GB stick but it doesn't seem to work.  How long do you hold the power button when starting up?  And how long do you hold the FN+ESC keys?
  • xcv4664

Tinkerer

Options
    I used the filed shared on the link. I got out of the black screen, but the system couldnt repair itself. I went through system recovery, failed. I attempted PC reset, failed. I cannot start windows. Anyone help?
  • SkittleBeast
    Options
    xcv4664 said:
    I used the filed shared on the link. I got out of the black screen, but the system couldnt repair itself. I went through system recovery, failed. I attempted PC reset, failed. I cannot start windows. Anyone help?
    What do you mean the system isn't repairing?  Can you be more specific?  BTW, I think it may have worked this time... I see the blue LED flashing.
  • SkittleBeast
    Options
    Ok. I finally got it to work.  Once I used the 1.12 BIOS from the link that msmith provided it worked.  I did use a 4GB stick and I also had it formatted in FAT16 (not sure if that matters).  Prior to this attempt I was using 1.09 BIOS file from the website.  I appreciate everyone's input to this thread.  
  • xcv4664

Tinkerer

Options
    xcv4664 said:
    What do you mean the system isn't repairing?  Can you be more specific?  BTW, I think it may have worked this time... I see the blue LED flashing.

It goes in an automatic repair mode during startup, but it says it doesnt start correctly. I chose advanced options. None of the options work
  • w3amd
    Options
    For anyone else you hold the Fn + Esc key combo first then you press in the power button until the blue power up light turns on. The USB drive will start flashing, and then the flashing will become consistent as the data is read from the USB drive. The blue light will then start to flash at about 3-5 second intervals. Then at a point the blue flashing will stop. At this time you can power up the PC.
  • w3amd
    edited November 2017
    Options
    If windows won't start - it sounds like your PC is asking to do Windows Recovery on boot up and that the BIOS is now good? You'll know BIOS is good when you get the Acer logo to appear on the screen.
  • xcv4664

Tinkerer

Options
    Yup my bios is good now. I guess its another matter but im stuck in the blue screen. None of the options seem to work. No system restore, no system reset, no startup repair, no “going back to previous version”, etc. 

any suggestions?
  • w3amd
    Options
    If you have everything important backed up to the cloud it would just be an annoyance if reinstalling the operating system. It sounds like some files were corrupted. If you haven't backed up things to cloud you could try to take the HD out and read it with another PC and then go from there. Maybe someone else will have another idea but it sounds like the boot sector on the drive or soon thereafter has been damaged by the fault as well.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @xcv4664

I am deleting my post and sent you a private message since my post about your bluescreen would only confuse others reading this topic.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Harvey-Acer_Retired
    Harvey-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 330 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
  • kingkhan
    kingkhan Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Options
    Ok. I finally got it to work.  Once I used the 1.12 BIOS from the link that msmith provided it worked.  I did use a 4GB stick and I also had it formatted in FAT16 (not sure if that matters).  Prior to this attempt I was using 1.09 BIOS file from the website.  I appreciate everyone's input to this thread.  
    Good to hear that you got it to work
  • kingkhan
    kingkhan Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Options
    xcv4664 said:
    Are you getting the Acer logo on startup now? If so, your bios has been recovered. If your windows is not loading after the Acer logo, then that is a separate issue.
  • SkittleBeast
    Options
    BTW, what cause this whole thing?  Was it a Microsoft Update?  The last one that was attempted on the laptop was KB4048954.