Does anyone know how to perform a bios recover for acer aspire r5-471t?

navin
navin Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2017 in Swift and Spin Series
Does anyone know how to recover the bios for acer aspire r5-471t?

I decided to restart my computer but unknowingly to me acer pushed a bios update 2017/11/13 and my computer was now doing this update. After being stuck on "please wait" for about half an hour, I figured the update must have stalled and decided to hit the reset button. Big mistake, the computer will not boot nor post. Now after turning on, the blue led will come on and the fan nothing else. Seems like the bios is corrupt.

Answers

• w3amd
    w3amd Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited November 2017
    You aren't the only one. This just happened on mine too after it restarted while I wasn't looking at it. It must have been stuck on the 'please wait for system update' screen for hours. Mine wouldn't turn off and I had to open the back case to disconnect the battery. Power button works and blue light comes on but it won't even go into the bios update screen so I'm going to contact chat is about a half hour when it opens to see how to reset the bios. I believe there's a way to do it from USB flash drive. I'm guessing the system was stuck in it's sleep mode or something and there's a bad bug when trying to do the bios update in some kind of case.
  • kingkhan
    kingkhan Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

This also happened to me yesterday. I was working on my laptop and closed the lid. When i went to wake the system yesterday i had the same screen with the acer logo that said please wait for a system update.

After an hour, the screen didnt change, so i did the same thing as w3amd. I popped the back panel off and disconnected the battery. After that, the laptop was completely dead. No post or anything.

I tried clearing the CMOS, by disconnecting the battery, and i also tried the recovery procedure mentioned here:https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/undocumented-insyde-bios-recovery-method-use-andys-tool-to-obtain-possible-names.13095/

I am having trouble finding out what to name the file bios file. the raw file when extracted is "isflash.bin"

i tried renaming this to AA.bin, AAHW.bin, BB.bin, BBHW.bin, leaving it as isflash.bin, and even isflash.fd.

I've had no luck so far.

• KellyFaith
    KellyFaith Member Posts: 1 New User
    Has anyone found a solution for this yet? I have the same problem. 
  • w3amd
    edited November 2017
    Not yet and this is pretty terrible. I'm not sure who at Acer thought it would be a good idea to try to update and reflash the BIOS when the graphic cards and the system itself was unstable after sleeping. Needless to say there's probably hundreds or more of us now that have bricks for machines.
  • w3amd
    I've contacted headquarters via Fax I tried support and they just said I have to send it in for $339 out of warranty which is unacceptable.

To: QA Department
    CC: Service Manager
    CC: Jason Chen, CEO

I own an Acer Aspire R5-471T model and have since ~3/6/16. This week the company pushed out a BIOS update. It has been known for some time that after Microsoft pushed out an driver update which caused the laptops to have problems with the graphical display after sleeping. It appears Acer's solution was to push out a BIOS update which would have corrected the problem.

In my case my machine appears to have pushed the BIOS update when the system had been sleeping and when the system was unstable. This caused the BIOS update to hang during the re-flashing process.

The support forum this morning has more and more posts about customers who have run into this problem and it looks like this also crosses into different models. We are being told by customer support that the only thing we can do is send the models in for repair at $339.99 (if over warranty).

From the device driver and bios updates it appears the update package can only be re-flashed from inside windows but all we get are black screens where the company bootup logo isn't even displayed now. Isn't it possible to release the flash drive procedure and software so that the PCs can be re-flashed from boot up?

I can't say how disappointed I am that a BIOS update was attempted automatically while the system has been having stability problems. There's got to be something that can be done here I've been a customer for a very long time.

I look forward to your timely response for what can be done here and hopefully to prevent damage to other customers machines if possible.

Best Regards,
    John xxxxx
  • w3amd
    This fax didn't go through so I contacted Mark at California Location customer service and he's checking into the problem now we are all having. He doesn't think they pushed a BIOS out automatically ever but he is checking.
  • kingkhan

Tinkerer

w3amd said:
    This fax didn't go through so I contacted Mark at California Location customer service and he's checking into the problem now we are all having. He doesn't think they pushed a BIOS out automatically ever but he is checking.
    Well someone did push out a bios update, i don't think it was Acer, but i do think it was windows update. I'm not sure who marked the bios as a suitable update.
  • w3amd
    Well, Windows certainly can't do a windows update and update the BIOS at the same time. That's suicide.
  • kingkhan

Tinkerer

w3amd said:
    Well, Windows certainly can't do a windows update and update the BIOS at the same time. That's suicide.
    Windows update can update the bios, when i had a surface I used to have FW updates on a constant basis. used to be the same screen where it says please wait while we complete a system update.
  • kingkhan

Tinkerer

Thanks again MrSmith. I will try this once i get home this evening.
  • w3amd
    edited November 2017
    Working solution. I switched an I for a 1 because of the font and I had this at 11AM in the morning lol. Ooops.
  • w3amd
    Also 4GB USB drive is all you need.
  • kingkhan

Tinkerer

w3amd said:
    Thanks for confirming, I'm still at work and will try this once i get home. It's good to hear that you are back up and running.
  • kingkhan

Tinkerer

w3amd said:
    So what exactly did you do to get your system up? I loaded the bios file onto a fa32 formatted USB. I made sure that the bios file was the only file on the USB. I renamed the bios file to SKI2Luffy.fd

I hold fn + esc

plug in the power and then while holding fn + esc i turn on the power.

No luck so far. My laptop does nothing. I have my usb connected to the left side of the laptop if that matters.

• kingkhan

Tinkerer

I tried it again, and this time it worked.

I used the 1.09 Bios file as that was the version i was running before this "update"

I formatted my USB once again and copied the bios file over and renamed it to SKI2Luffy.fd

You will know if the laptop is attempting to recover as the power LED starts to blink. It will shut down automatically when the recovery is complete.

When you press the power button, the laptop should have the recovered bios.

Thanks again to MrSmith!!!
  • w3amd
    USB was on left side. When first powering up the USB drive active on is on a bit. Then as you said the blue light blinks and this goes on for about 4-5 minutes. Then no more blinking blue drive access light on the laptop and I powered down restarted and all was good with the current BIOS.
  • RunJump98
    RunJump98 Member Posts: 2 New User
    That worked! 

Thanks for everyone's help!  
  • Jledfr
    Jledfr Member Posts: 4 New User

That worked for me too !!

Thanks a lot !

• Jledfr
    Jledfr Member Posts: 4 New User

In any case, thank you very much to Acer for their efficiency! Except for us charge for useless return...

Shame on you.